A word of caution about hydroplaning

About 30 years ago driving home from Chicago on a very cold Michigan January night, I nearly bought the farm. Driving a new Chrysler minivan going too fast, I came over a slight rise on the interstate and the backend started to come around. I rode it out staying off the brake, but it scared the shit out of me.
I hear you. It is scary AF.

The other issue is the 370Z that is begging you to go faster. Am I right? Glad you dodged the bullet and you're OK.
Thanks. The Z is quick and nimble, 332hp. Yeah, I was going too fast for the conditions. It has a limiter that only allows you to go 150mph. I have had it up to 143mph on a DRY and open road.

I bet when he got home he had to change his underpants.
I did not have time to soil myself. It all happened very fast. I got home and crawled into my recliner and did not move very much for the next day and a half.

Tires are extremely helpful. Some brands just don't hold the road as well as others....and even inside some brands they have low end tires that slide around a lot.

One young guy from work that had them cheap tires was driving with us as a group...
We were doing 80 down the interstate in dry conditions and he had to swerve sharp as another car began encroaching on him.
He fishtailed both directions several times until he crashed into the wall. (No injuries except his car) He couldn't get it back under control....and I could see that he was trying and should have....but the tires just wouldn't grab.

Tires were in good shape too....no bald spots and plenty of tread. Dry conditions too. Just a little swerve....nothing crazy either.
So I tend to overspend on tires after seeing that.

I drove to work this morning in the rain. This is the first time since the accident. I did not get over 35 mph. And all the while I was wondering when I was going to slide of the road.

Forum List

Back