A sane look at fighting Trumpism

"Among those who are highly critical of our government’s virtual open-border policies is Albert Spratte, the sergeant-at-arms of the National Border Patrol Council (NBPC) Local 3307 in the Rio Grande Valley. A June 23 National Review Online article attributed an amazing observation to Spratte: “There are two types of illegal immigrants crossing the border: those whom Border Patrol catches and those who catch Border Patrol.”
Obama Opens Borders, Releases Illegal Immigrants Into U.S.

From your 2014 link:

A large number of those traveling from Central America to our southern border are unaccompanied children. The Obama administration has estimated that 60,000 children unaccompanied by parents or relatives will pour into the United States this year, up from about 6,000 in 2011.

Children from 2014. You fear and hate children.

they get detained and deported anyway, the time it takes is BUSH's fault:

Complicating matters, a 2008 anti-human trafficking law signed by President George Bush prevents the US from returning children who are not from Mexico and Canada to their home countries without a deportation hearing

Irrelevant, even if it was true. The point is, the borders are open, something you pretended wasn't true. You were owned and shown to be a lying douchebag

Now what percentage of those traversing back and forth across our open borders are children is a totally different subject, you simpleton.

No need to give up fighting for a decent strong successful America against the threat that occurred last night.

November 9, 2016 2:36 a.m.
Forget Canada. Stay and Fight for American Democracy.
By Jonathan ChaitShareTweetShareShareEmail
9-chait-election-night.w710.h473.jpg

Photo: The Washington Post/Washington Post/Getty Images
Before the election, like many liberals, I made a lot of jokes about moving to Canada. It was a way for people to deal with our anxiety. It’s not funny anymore, and people discussing it — reportedly, Canada’s immigration website has crashed due to excessive interest — are beginning to disgust me. I love this country. I believe in it. I’m not leaving. I’m sorry to sound hokey, but I’m going to stay and defend truth and democracy.

Never in my lifetime has the United States seen a period of darkness like the one that lies ahead of us. But we have seen periods of darkness before — segregation, McCarthyism, the internment of the Japanese, the Civil War, slavery. The American story is fitful progress punctuated by frequent reversals, some of which appeared at the time like they would last forever. None of them did.

The Trump years will be a horror. When I set out to write my long story in the magazineabout Trumpism and the future of the Republican Party, I originally intended to focus on the immediate possibilities that lay before the Republican Party if it could capture full control of Washington. As this scenario grew less likely, I gave it less emphasis, but it is there. The Republicans will pass massive regressive tax cuts; they will take access to medical care from the poor and sick; they will deregulate the financial industry and fossil-fuel emitters.

And that is just the beginning, the best-case scenario. Trump is an impulsive, egotistical bully, intolerant of criticism and dissent and drawn to the ruthless application of power. Many liberals have been warning that American democracy is far weaker than we believed, and this was before any of us imagined a monster like Trump commanding the Executive branch. Trump will shake the Republic to its foundations. And the Republicans will shake it with him. If there is a central point I tried to drive home, it is that Trumpism grows out of a decades-long trend toward authoritarianism as the dominant tendency of Republican politics. I don’t know what American government will look like after four years of Trump — or if it will only last four years, or even if it will only last eight.

But I do not believe that the people who elected Trump will be helped by his program in any way. Trump avoided policy specifics to a comical degree. His health-care plan is “something terrific” that will take care of everybody at no cost to anybody. His wall paid for by Mexico is not even a punch line — it is a symbol of his supporters’ fascistic willingness to subordinate all critical faculties and endorse an obvious absurdity. What he will do is sign a quick succession of donor-driven laws written by Paul Ryan whose authentic support is confined to a trivial proportion of the party outside its big-money wing. To whatever extent people voted for Trump for reasons other than racial and cultural resentment, Trump will do nothing for them. He is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern, as the Republican elite demonstrated during the George W. Bush era, and that has grown worse.

At the end of this month, the president-elect of the United States will face trial for committing massive fraud through Trump University. He openly vows to have his children run his family business, which will enrich him through his office in the manner of a post-Soviet kleptocrat. The depths of a Trump presidency defy our imagination. It is safe to assume it will not be popular. Trump and his party will probably respond with vicious anti-democratic measures. But fighting for democracy is part of America’s heritage, from abolitionists to suffragettes to the progressive reformers. Maybe you thought that fight was confined to history. It will go on.

And Trump does not represent the future. He only barely represents its present. His party controls all three branches in large part because its voters are overrepresented in the House, the Senate, and the Electoral College. He represents a rage against the direction of America they have no way of stopping. Even a complete halt to all of illegal immigration and a total deportation of every undocumented immigrant will not prevent the growth of nonwhites into an eventual majority. Republicans are increasingly focused on voter suppression and other anti-democratic measures to allow their shrinking cohort to rule. Trump is the perfect champion of their project.

But I do not believe they will win, at least not over the long run. As the shock of a Trump presidency set in, I told my children Tuesday night that I did not want to hear anything about fleeing. We are not going anywhere. And the America I have raised them to believe in will one day prevail.

From the quote:

"But I do not believe that the people who elected Trump will be helped by his program in any way. Trump avoided policy specifics to a comical degree. His health-care plan is “something terrific” that will take care of everybody at no cost to anybody. His wall paid for by Mexico is not even a punch line — it is a symbol of his supporters’ fascistic willingness to subordinate all critical faculties and endorse an obvious absurdity. What he will do is sign a quick succession of donor-driven laws written by Paul Ryan whose authentic support is confined to a trivial proportion of the party outside its big-money wing. To whatever extent people voted for Trump for reasons other than racial and cultural resentment, Trump will do nothing for them. He is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern, as the Republican elite demonstrated during the George W. Bush era, and that has grown worse."

"westwall, post: 15776268
Slow but steady? Are you high? Thanks to obama policies there are more people out of the work force than since the 1970's.

Unemployment is at an all time low since 2008.

I guess because Obama is black his economic progress must be measured by a new standard. The labor force participation rate which you exaggerate.

In 1970 the LFPR was at 70% because not as many women worked outside the home. But now about half of the adult population not seeking work are Baby Boomers.
Also more young people are going to college and graduate school including one of my daughters.

Certainly not very many of the 30% not looking for work are outside of those two groups.

Why not be fair in your criticism of our first black president by quoting legitimate statistics.

Romney campaigned in 2011 on a pledge to get unemployment to 5% in four years. Obama got there in two years. You ought to respect that Obama did twice better than Romney on unemployment.

If you don't there must be an ulterior motive on your part.

He appealed to hatred and bigotry to win an election. If you think he's in to help all working poor and middle class you are the prime example of a stooge.

It takes no intelligence to appeal to people's fears. It just takes a mean enough spirit to do it and sleep at night.

The ones spreading hatred and bigotry are you white hating communists.

“Hillary has worked very long and very hard over a long period of time, and we owe her a major debt of gratitude for her service to our country,” he said. “I mean that very sincerely. Now it is time for America to bind the wounds of division, have to get together. To all Republicans and Democrats and independents across this nation, I say it is time for us to come together as one united people.”

Uncensored2008, post: 15782878
My links confirm what I said, Obama has halted border security.

Halted virtually all border security? No that was a lie that your link does not confirm. Not even close.

Last edited:
“Hillary has worked very long and very hard over a long period of time, and we owe her a major debt of gratitude for her service to our country,” he said. “I mean that very sincerely. Now it is time for America to bind the wounds of division, have to get together. To all Republicans and Democrats and independents across this nation, I say it is time for us to come together as one united people.”

Hillary is a crook, a criminal, She needs to go to prison.

But Obama will pardon her, so she never will.

Uncensored2008, post: 15782878
My links confirm what I said, Obama has halted border security.

Halted virtually all border security? No that was a lie that your link does not confirm. Not even close.

Stop lying democrat, the age of Hillary is over.

{
On Thursday, the president of the National Border Patrol Council, Brandon Judd, informed the immigration subcommittee of the House Judiciary Committee that U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents have been told to release illegal immigrants and eschew ordering them to appear at deportation hearing.

Judd stated, "We might as well abolish our immigration laws altogether," adding that the reason the Obama Administration changed the policy out of "embarrassment" that only roughly half of illegals ordered to appear in court follow through. He continued, "The willful failure to show up for court appearances by persons that were arrested and released by the Border Patrol has become an extreme embarrassment for the Department of Homeland Security. It has been so embarrassing that DHS and the U.S. attorney's office has come up with a new policy,"}

Obama Tells Border Agents To Stand Down

The ones spreading hatred and bigotry are you white hating communists.

Talking about candidates, Mine in no way is a communist that did not run on hatred and bigotry at all as Trump did.

You appear to be confirming this.

Last edited:
I don't want Trump to have programs that help Me. I want him to fix this country from the progressive ineptitude.

The federal government is not to be used to help people, but to protect us from the world and act as our representatives to that said world. On occasion, they need to settle disputes between the states.

I only want one thing from a Trump presidency. A return to the proper form of Federal government.

I'll consider it a success if he managed to get at a minimum, a balanced budget with the elimination of baseline budgeting. SCOTUS nominations of Judges who follow a Scalia model at the minimum. A lifting of suppressing economic regulations so that the middle class can become the middle class once again. And a rewrite of the tax code (I dare not hope that the 16th is repealed.)

Hillary is a crook, a criminal, She needs to go to prison

So you do not believe in law and order and a blindfolded justice system. You are freakin' dangerous to the survival of this Republic.

Christie and Giulliani are walking back the criminal Hillary BS. I hope that pisses you off and turn on Trump before the inauguration.

You are not getting the Banana Republic Trump promised you. You are not getting the wall or a Muslim ban.

I don't want Trump to have programs that help Me. I want him to fix this country from the progressive ineptitude.

Trump just left 2 hour meeting with Obama with Trump praising the great PROGRESS as in PROGRESSIVE that Obama made on domestic policies.

Don't see how Trump is going backflip to an agenda that demolishes progress.

You may soon begin to sour on BIG GOVT President Trump.

Trillion dollar big government infrastructure project may be first Trumpism priority.

I can hear small govt Pubs squealing like stuck pigs already with Schumer and Pelosi surely on board with that.

Trump just left 2 hour meeting with Obama with Trump praising the great PROGRESS as in PROGRESSIVE that Obama made on domestic policies.

Trillion dollar big government infrastructure project may be first Trumpism priority.

I can hear small govt Pubs squealing like stuck pigs already with Schumer and Pelosi surely on board with that.

We'll see. Come January, we'll begin to find out.

You really don't know Me, do you? I am NOT a Trump supporter or a fan. I know his proclivities for reverting back to his liberal beliefs.

I have a very modest set of expectations that I'd like to see from a Trump Presidency. Stick around long enough and you may learn about them.

We'll see. Come January, we'll begin to find out.
Aye.

We'll know within the first 20 days I'm thinking. Some reality will hit Trump when he comes to realize that he isn't King and has to work within the framework of the Constitution. Should be an interesting study.

No need to give up fighting for a decent strong successful America against the threat that occurred last night.

November 9, 2016 2:36 a.m.
Forget Canada. Stay and Fight for American Democracy.
By Jonathan ChaitShareTweetShareShareEmail
9-chait-election-night.w710.h473.jpg

Photo: The Washington Post/Washington Post/Getty Images
Before the election, like many liberals, I made a lot of jokes about moving to Canada. It was a way for people to deal with our anxiety. It’s not funny anymore, and people discussing it — reportedly, Canada’s immigration website has crashed due to excessive interest — are beginning to disgust me. I love this country. I believe in it. I’m not leaving. I’m sorry to sound hokey, but I’m going to stay and defend truth and democracy.

Never in my lifetime has the United States seen a period of darkness like the one that lies ahead of us. But we have seen periods of darkness before — segregation, McCarthyism, the internment of the Japanese, the Civil War, slavery. The American story is fitful progress punctuated by frequent reversals, some of which appeared at the time like they would last forever. None of them did.

The Trump years will be a horror. When I set out to write my long story in the magazineabout Trumpism and the future of the Republican Party, I originally intended to focus on the immediate possibilities that lay before the Republican Party if it could capture full control of Washington. As this scenario grew less likely, I gave it less emphasis, but it is there. The Republicans will pass massive regressive tax cuts; they will take access to medical care from the poor and sick; they will deregulate the financial industry and fossil-fuel emitters.

And that is just the beginning, the best-case scenario. Trump is an impulsive, egotistical bully, intolerant of criticism and dissent and drawn to the ruthless application of power. Many liberals have been warning that American democracy is far weaker than we believed, and this was before any of us imagined a monster like Trump commanding the Executive branch. Trump will shake the Republic to its foundations. And the Republicans will shake it with him. If there is a central point I tried to drive home, it is that Trumpism grows out of a decades-long trend toward authoritarianism as the dominant tendency of Republican politics. I don’t know what American government will look like after four years of Trump — or if it will only last four years, or even if it will only last eight.

But I do not believe that the people who elected Trump will be helped by his program in any way. Trump avoided policy specifics to a comical degree. His health-care plan is “something terrific” that will take care of everybody at no cost to anybody. His wall paid for by Mexico is not even a punch line — it is a symbol of his supporters’ fascistic willingness to subordinate all critical faculties and endorse an obvious absurdity. What he will do is sign a quick succession of donor-driven laws written by Paul Ryan whose authentic support is confined to a trivial proportion of the party outside its big-money wing. To whatever extent people voted for Trump for reasons other than racial and cultural resentment, Trump will do nothing for them. He is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern, as the Republican elite demonstrated during the George W. Bush era, and that has grown worse.

At the end of this month, the president-elect of the United States will face trial for committing massive fraud through Trump University. He openly vows to have his children run his family business, which will enrich him through his office in the manner of a post-Soviet kleptocrat. The depths of a Trump presidency defy our imagination. It is safe to assume it will not be popular. Trump and his party will probably respond with vicious anti-democratic measures. But fighting for democracy is part of America’s heritage, from abolitionists to suffragettes to the progressive reformers. Maybe you thought that fight was confined to history. It will go on.

And Trump does not represent the future. He only barely represents its present. His party controls all three branches in large part because its voters are overrepresented in the House, the Senate, and the Electoral College. He represents a rage against the direction of America they have no way of stopping. Even a complete halt to all of illegal immigration and a total deportation of every undocumented immigrant will not prevent the growth of nonwhites into an eventual majority. Republicans are increasingly focused on voter suppression and other anti-democratic measures to allow their shrinking cohort to rule. Trump is the perfect champion of their project.

But I do not believe they will win, at least not over the long run. As the shock of a Trump presidency set in, I told my children Tuesday night that I did not want to hear anything about fleeing. We are not going anywhere. And the America I have raised them to believe in will one day prevail.

From the quote:

"But I do not believe that the people who elected Trump will be helped by his program in any way. Trump avoided policy specifics to a comical degree. His health-care plan is “something terrific” that will take care of everybody at no cost to anybody. His wall paid for by Mexico is not even a punch line — it is a symbol of his supporters’ fascistic willingness to subordinate all critical faculties and endorse an obvious absurdity. What he will do is sign a quick succession of donor-driven laws written by Paul Ryan whose authentic support is confined to a trivial proportion of the party outside its big-money wing. To whatever extent people voted for Trump for reasons other than racial and cultural resentment, Trump will do nothing for them. He is a buffoon surrounded by a party apparatus that is unable to govern, as the Republican elite demonstrated during the George W. Bush era, and that has grown worse."

Supreme Court 6-3 Conservative.... Hope you're in this fight for the long haul....

Moxie2, post: 15790854
Supreme Court 6-3 Conservative.... Hope you're in this fight for the long haul....

Stacking the court with right wing judges aids the the majority of voters in the recent election in the fight that must go on.

Trump does not have a majority behind him. The majority of voters rejected him.

Forum List

Back