A Retired General as SecDef?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Apparent President-Elect Biden has tentatively named retired 4-Star General Lloyd Austin as his nominee for Secretary of Defense.

While not knowing anything about this Austin fellow, after spending eight years in DoD - military and civilian - I have always questioned the idea of having a retired general as Secretary of Defense. The reason why the Joint Chiefs are subordinate to the Secretary of Defense is because we want CIVILIANS calling the shots in war, not soldiers. Soldier have different training, different life experiences, different motivations, and a different perspective overall than civilians. For example, a soldier knows that the best times for soldiers are when we are at war - declared or otherwise. That is when the careerists get the medals, promotions, and battlefield experience that pads their military resumes and ultimately enhances their careers.

Having a military quasi-civilian in that post is simply poor public policy. Find me an executive who spend two or three years in the military as an enlisted man, then got out. That is what SecDef should have on his resume...a combination of respect and disdain for military service.

Generals don't go to war anymore.

He made a pretty broad statement though. I hardly consider a four star general a soldier. They're the administration. They lead soldiers from a safe distance.

Apparent President-Elect Biden has tentatively named retired 4-Star General Lloyd Austin as his nominee for Secretary of Defense.

While not knowing anything about this Austin fellow, after spending eight years in DoD - military and civilian - I have always questioned the idea of having a retired general as Secretary of Defense. The reason why the Joint Chiefs are subordinate to the Secretary of Defense is because we want CIVILIANS calling the shots in war, not soldiers. Soldier have different training, different life experiences, different motivations, and a different perspective overall than civilians. For example, a soldier knows that the best times for soldiers are when we are at war - declared or otherwise. That is when the careerists get the medals, promotions, and battlefield experience that pads their military resumes and ultimately enhances their careers.

Having a military quasi-civilian in that post is simply poor public policy. Find me an executive who spend two or three years in the military as an enlisted man, then got out. That is what SecDef should have on his resume...a combination of respect and disdain for military service.
Obama is making Biden's adminstration choices, not Joe

What's your military experience? Have you ever been in combat? Have you ever been fired upon without result?

I can assure you that the "best times for soldiers" is when they are with their families and friends, stateside, without the worry of some sand-monkey trying to kill him with an IED.

As much disdain as I hold for Biden, I applaud his choice. A soldier (or sailor or marine or airman) needs to know that the guy at the helm of the DoD is someone who understands what it takes to win a war. His military record is above reproach.

"Two or three years"? Yeah, that would make someone an E-3 or an E-4 which, I promise you, is not someone you want to have running the Department of Defense. Those guys are far more interested in getting drunk and getting laid than they are concerned with protecting our country.

General Austin is a fine choice...

You must not have been a soldier(ground pounder, bush beater of any other sort of infantry unit) if you think soldiers enjoy wars and dying.. I damn sure didn't. A retired general is a civilian.

I can assure you that the "best times for soldiers" is when they are with their families and friends, stateside, without the worry of some sand-monkey trying to kill him with an IED.
I can assure you sand monkeys wouldn't be trying to kill anybody ith anything who wasn't invading their homes-

One of Obama's dumbass affirmative action Negroes.

Biden will always make the wrong decisions. He can't help himself.

That worthless Negro will help to decimate the military just like was done during the Obama administration and turn the military into a Gay club.

Anybody that voted for Obama is an idiot. A Useful Idiot.

Forum List

Back