A ranking of states in one metric

Bullshit....You liberoidal assholes have been using "studies" like this to pat yourselves on the back for decades....Your sorry ass is nothing new under the sun.
You need not like the rankings, nor the empirical data upon which it is based, for whatever reasons you may have.

I even offered a choice with no preference implied: "Would you prefer your state to be more or less educated?"

Kind of a spam link. Certainly click bait.

No way I'm clicking through a 50 page slide show. And certainly not registering for a Google account just to see the states all on one list.
You are correct regarding the ulterior intent in contriving such access to the ranking.

The academic rankings presented with no commentary, no value judgments, no geographic, climatological, or political references, are what they are. Any inferences, assumptions, and conclusions that you draw from the rankings are entirely your own.

Right. You just set it all up to imply conservatives are idiots.

Methodology

In order to determine the most and least educated states in America, WalletHub compared the 50 states across two key dimensions, Educational Attainment and Quality of Education.

Yeah but, Massachusetts has MIT. What does Mississippi have? For a comparison to be fair, it has to be set to have an equal HCF (highest common factor). Put another way, for the comparison to be fair, it must compare the two states on a subset of WHAT THEY SHARE IN COMMON. That makes the comparo here flawed because it includes people and things which Mississippi doesn't have to be compared on!

Yeah but, Massachusetts has MIT. What does Mississippi have? For a comparison to be fair, it has to be set to have an equal HCF (highest common factor). Put another way, for the comparison to be fair, it must compare the two states on a subset of WHAT THEY SHARE IN COMMON. That makes the comparo here flawed because it includes people and things which Mississippi doesn't have to be compared on!
The percentage of residents of Massachusetts who are Harvard or MIT students or alumni/ae is minuscule.

In general, a higher level of education in the populace correlates with more prosperous, healthy, and stable lives.

It may be my bias, but I am convinced that education benefits the individual and society. I am not alone in that conviction:

"I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society, but the people themselves: and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their controul with a wholsome discretion, the remedy is, not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power." THOMAS JEFFERSON
If anyone could convince me that less education leads to more prosperity, longevity, stability, and a better quality of life with less crime and superior general welfare, I would reassess my certitude.

Last edited:
The percentage of residents of Massachusetts who are Harvard or MIT students or alumni/ae is minuscule.
Irrelevant.

In general, a higher level of education in the populace correlates with more prosperous, healthy, and stable lives.
Put a bunch of universities in a state and you are bound to have more higher educated people living and working there. They will get better jobs, and lead more prosperous lives. The REAL question you keep evading is:
  • Does the state make the person?
  • Or do the people living there make the state?

It may be my bias, but I am convinced that education benefits the individual and society.
That is an obvious truth. Now put some big universities in Mississippi along with some big tech firms, infuse that state with more money for its public schools, raise the standard of living and watch the collective IQ of that state go up as well.

Put another way, there is no reason that Mississippi can't be as smart as Mass given that all other factors were equal.

Irrelevant.
You noted, "Yeah but, Massachusetts has MIT," as if that accounted for Massachusetts residents being at one end of the educational attainment spectrum and Mississippi at the other. It doesn't.
Now put some big universities in Mississippi along with some big tech firms, infuse that state with more money for its public schools, raise the standard of living and watch the collective IQ of that state go up as well.
You are conflating educational attainment with IQ (I suspect that the intelligence quotients of Mississippi residents is in the vicinity of those of Massachusetts.)

You are citing some causes of why Mississippians are less educated, essentiall saying, "If Mississippi were more like Massachusetts, it would not rank last in education." That's obviously true.

Ranked: US States From Most To Least Brainy
1. Massachusetts
Indisputably, Massachusetts is at the very top of the class. The Bay State ranks first for both educational attainment and quality of education and also has the second-highest average university quality. On top of that, Massachusetts has both the highest percentage of residents with bachelor’s degrees (but no graduate degree) and the highest percentage with graduate degrees in the country. The state is home to Harvard, the top-ranked school in the U.S. according to Forbes, as well as MIT, the fourth most highly rated school.​
...​
Well, of course!

Forum List

Back