A Radical Right-Wing Dream To Rewrite The Constitution Is Close To Coming True

So, what would they do?

remove Militia from the Second?

add cyberspace to the First?

Get rid of the Third?

Modify of a couple of others?

Wow, I can see you've given this a lot of thought, and spent a lot of time listening to people on the right on this subject. :rolleyes:

What actually got drawn up at such a convention would depend entirely on who the delegates were, but there would probably be discussions about term limits for Congressmembers, balanced federal budget requirements, and voter ID requirements. Some other suggestions from proponents of a Convention of the States have included some form of flat tax, cuts to or elimination of federal welfare spending, and addressing judicial activism.

You seriously believe that they wouldn't try to rewrite existing Amendments, in an attempt to bring them into the 20th, possibly 21st, centuries, and to fit political agendas?

I seriously believe that the right wing doesn't have a problem with the Bill of Rights; they have a problem with the way the left deliberately misinterprets them, but that doesn't require playing their game and monkeying with the wording.

I also seriously believe that I've read the websites and mission statements for the biggest groups pushing for a Convention of States, and my post came directly from their own words. So unless you have similar proof that your post has anything to do with their goals other than being your personal biased opinion projected onto them, please don't waste my time with it.

Please state clearly what you meant by "the left deliberately misinterprets the Bill of Rights"

And the Democrats are shaking as with the palsy.

I think if [Republicans] win the midterm elections, if they take the House and Senate, they will try to call an Article V convention immediately,” said David Super, a Georgetown University law professor who has closely followed the movement for a new convention. “It’s not a foregone conclusion that the simple Republican majority would get there, but if they get big majorities, I think they’ll try.”

I'm not sure even I favor a constitutional convention at this time, with our current crop of elected civil servants. But still, it would be nice to have the option on the table.

Unless the Republican civil war can be solved, winning the House and Senate next year is just a pipe dream and that concerns real Republicans like MD Gov. Hogan.

It's amusing the way Democrats pick out the "real Republicans".

Interestingly, it's always the ones who agree with them.

I think if [Republicans] win the midterm elections, if they take the House and Senate, they will try to call an Article V convention immediately,” said David Super, a Georgetown University law professor who has closely followed the movement for a new convention. “It’s not a foregone conclusion that the simple Republican majority would get there, but if they get big majorities, I think they’ll try.”

I'm not sure even I favor a constitutional convention at this time, with our current crop of elected civil servants. But still, it would be nice to have the option on the table.

HuffPo ....

LMAO at the gullible shit you Leftist are easily dupped into believing.

Ummm ...

Moi? Me, a Leftist? :auiqs.jpg:

You need to do a little research there, John.

Leftists believe that re-writing the Constitution would be vulgar. Easier to just anoint Leftist judges who will interpret it to death, like they have always done.

Like Maranda in lieu of rubber hoses? Like voting rights for women, and other minorities? Like drafting young men and send them into combat? Like pursuing Civil Rights and Equal Opportunities and Equal Justice?

Seems the Right is opposed to all of the above.

It's a pipe dream.

It's a pipe dream.

Perhaps. So was space travel.

It's a pipe dream.

And space travel hasn't been trouble free.

An Article V Convention of States is not a constitutional convention! Did you read post #6? A Convention of States is only a way to start the amendment process. There are issues that should be addressed that Congress does not want to address, such as congressional term limits. It cannot throw out the Constitution because it derives its authority from the Constitution. A Convention of States can only propose amendments that fit within the topic of the applications adopted by the state legislatures. For example, a convention that is called to limit the power of the federal government could not propose an amendment to reduce our rights and expand federal power. 34 state legislatures must pass a resolution in each house of their legislature (called an "application") calling for a Convention of States. The Convention of States application does not need to be signed by the Governor to be effective, so as soon as both houses of the state legislature pass the application, that state becomes one of the required 34 states calling for a convention. In order for the applications to be aggregated (counted together towards the 34 state threshold), they must all cover the same topic or set of topics for a convention.

38 states must ratify any proposed amendments before they become part of the Constitution.

Last edited:

It's a pipe dream.

And space travel hasn't been trouble free.

Life is never trouble free, something you people have never learned.

Ummm ...

Moi? Me, a Leftist? :auiqs.jpg:

You need to do a little research there, John.
You expect me to take you seriously as an informed conservative while taking a HuffPo article seriously?

Seriously?

I was reporting their fear.

As to HuffPo, I read them often, as I do other leftist sites. It's always good to know what the enemy is thinking.

You should be shaking with palsy.

There isn't a single person or group today, left or right, that I would trust to have the foresight, intelligence, integrity or education to mess with the Constitution - which has stood strong for more than two centuries now.

What idiots.

The GOP are a bunch of spooked horses. They wouldn't swat a mosquito sucking blood out of their arm if given the opportunity. It might make them angry.

Doesn't seem to have stopped them from ideological overreach for a long time now.

So, what would they do?

remove Militia from the Second?

add cyberspace to the First?

Get rid of the Third?

Modify of a couple of others?

Wow, I can see you've given this a lot of thought, and spent a lot of time listening to people on the right on this subject. :rolleyes:

What actually got drawn up at such a convention would depend entirely on who the delegates were, but there would probably be discussions about term limits for Congressmembers, balanced federal budget requirements, and voter ID requirements. Some other suggestions from proponents of a Convention of the States have included some form of flat tax, cuts to or elimination of federal welfare spending, and addressing judicial activism.

In other words, a rightwing wet dream.

There isn't a single person or group today, left or right, that I would trust to have the foresight, intelligence, integrity or education to mess with the Constitution - which has stood strong for more than two centuries now.

What idiots.

I fully agree

So, why are you all trying to mess with it?

Forum List

Back