A question for back country hikers.

earlycuyler

Extra long Bad Ass Cut.
Sep 17, 2011
Drivers seat.
I like to bring cheddar cheese along with me, but it always gets oily and nasty. What type can I bring that wont get gross ?

they are pricey watch for sales...mini baby bells...

they are individually coated in wax and have a small thread you unwrap them with...each one does....problem solved

Find out what kind of cheese they make in the middle east and use that.

Cheddar is pretty oily. Mozzarella is a bit better. I would think any hard cheese would work...it might still get oily, but at least it won't be gooey and oily.

And remember...you get what you pay for, with cheese.

Ewww.

I've never been big on hiking with smelly food.

I don't really want a contingent of bear and feral pigs following me about.

I think I would take parmesan...

But you can also cut up cheese portions and dip it in parafin and carry that.....

Mmm. I remember it fondly. It smells like feet !

When my wife was in the service, her squadron went out for a field exercise. One guy loved MRE cheese, and collected it from everyone he could. After a couple of days he had severe abdominal pain and went back to base to get checked out. They did x-rays and the doc came out and said, "You are literally full of shit."

Stuff had locked ol' boy up tight. :lol:

Yuck!

I think if you eat real cheese, in moderate amounts, and drink lots of water and eat other stuff you'll probably be ok.

When my wife was in the service, her squadron went out for a field exercise. One guy loved MRE cheese, and collected it from everyone he could. After a couple of days he had severe abdominal pain and went back to base to get checked out. They did x-rays and the doc came out and said, "You are literally full of shit."

I ate it for a week one time. That, the crackers, and the kool-aid type drink . It was the opposite for me, as I shit like a mad dog.

Yuck!

I think if you eat real cheese, in moderate amounts, and drink lots of water and eat other stuff you'll probably be ok.

I dont like how all the oil bleeds out of it. I tried the Mozzarella, and it gets dry, but not gross. And the dry stuff aint bad on my food either.

I ate it for a week one time. That, the crackers, and the kool-aid type drink . It was the opposite for me, as I shit like a mad dog.
:lol:

Yuck!

I dont like how all the oil bleeds out of it. I tried the Mozzarella, and it gets dry, but not gross. And the dry stuff aint bad on my food either.

Yeah, mozzarella would be better than cheddar. Almost anything would be...

Swiss (if it's a good one) probably is okay too...but me, I would take parmesan. Good parmesan, and not grated of course. Wrapped in paper, or loosely contained in ziplock.

While you're at it, why not bring some wine along too. I've done my share of day hiking. The longest was 10 hours. We had payday candy bars.
I mostly do waterfalls. Here's one and I can't promise the photo is great. It was a disposable camera and 800 speed film. What was I thinking.

I also wonder where people go on vacation who live so close to the mountains.

Attachments

• $1-4-2008-12.jpg
    $1-4-2008-12.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 81
  • $1-4-2008-13.jpg
    $1-4-2008-13.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 84
  • $1-4-2008-04.jpg
    $1-4-2008-04.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
While you're at it, why not bring some wine along too. I've done my share of day hiking. The longest was 10 hours. We had payday candy bars.
I mostly do waterfalls. Here's one and I can't promise the photo is great. It was a disposable camera and 800 speed film. What was I thinking.

I also wonder where people go on vacation who live so close to the mountains.

Salt marshes to fish for specks and red fish ! I would do wine, but I dont drink, and tend not to imbibe in the woods. Nothing against those that do, its just not for me. It makes me lazy.

Forum List

Back