100 Years Old And Still Going Strong.....S&W Model 1905 (M&P) .38 Special

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up this 1924 S&W Model 1905 (4th change) today.

sw 002 (2).JPG

It sports a 5" barrel and Franzite faux stag grips.....It would have left the factory with checkered walnut stocks with no medallions.

It looks like along the line (many years ago) it went back to S&W for a re-blue and sights upgrade.....Possibly a action job too as it's super slick.

I love 5" S&Ws so I probably overpaid at $300.00....Oh well. ;)

I picked-up this 1924 S&W Model 1905 (4th change) today.

View attachment 916309

It sports a 5" barrel and Franzite faux stag grips.....It would have left the factory with checkered walnut stocks with no medallions.

It looks like along the line (many years ago) it went back to S&W for a re-blue and sights upgrade.....Possibly a action job too as it's super slick.

I love 5" S&Ws so I probably overpaid at $300.00....Oh well. ;)
Looks like a 38. I could be wrong.

Nope .38 Special....You may be thinking of the .38/200 (.38 S&W/200gr bullet) Victory Model that S&W made for the Brits. They were all 5" barreled revolvers.
I knew it was a 38 something.
The gun my boss gave me when I was working in a liquor store in college looked similar to that one.
I got to bust a few caps after a robbery too.

It doesn't look like it's had much use. I don't see any erosion on the topstrap. Very cool and I love the grips. I think that's a good buy. 👍

Very nice! Clean crisp rifling in the barrel?
Yeah, and the crown is still in good shape too. It shoots just fine, I took it down to my range and shot it. I limit the older M&Ps to just standard 158 gr fodder. No +P in them.

I got lucky and found a very nice condition 50s/60s vintage 5" Brauer Bros. field holster for it on eBay for $25.00 shipped....The older 5" holsters are getting hard to find.

It helps that over the years I've downloaded fit charts from older holster companies that have been long out of business.

Forum List

Back