A Question About The Saints

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I was just thinking about this since today is my birthday. Why do we celebrate Valentine's Day and Saint Patrick's Day on the days they died rather than the days that they were born?

Seems pretty obvious. Weren't most of the saints martyrs as well? Why is holy week way more important than Christmas? No one knows when these people were born but we very often know the date and time when someone was publicly executed or a war happened.

I was just thinking about this since today is my birthday. Why do we celebrate Valentine's Day and Saint Patrick's Day on the days they died rather than the days that they were born?
Memoriam tends to work that way.

One has to be a big religious figure (Jesus, Buddha, Mohammad) to get both birth and death recognized.

So, a saint s someone who went to heaven and beholds the face of God.

Well known saints (canonized saints) are held up to the people as heroes of the faith, examples of a good Christian life. They are given a day on the calendar known as a "feast day." We celebrate their life and learn about them and ask for their prayers.

For all other unnamed saints over the years, there is All Saints Day.

I think Saint Valentine was a cupid, and I don't think cupids are born.

Saint Valentine was a 3rd-century Roman saint, commemorated in Western Christianity on February 14 and in Eastern Orthodoxy on July 6. From the High Middle Ages, his Saints' Day has been associated with a tradition of courtly love. He is also a patron saint of Terni, epilepsy and beekeepers.....Terni is a city in Italy...

Cupid was actually a Roman God of love.

St. Valentine was a martyr.

Traditionally it was a feast day.

The Valentine's Day you know is an invention of the 18th and 19th centuries.

The usage of cupid plays nicely into that theme.

If you remove the true meaning...you weaken the intended effect.

In the early martyrologies, three different St. Valentines are mentioned, all sharing Feb. 14 for a feast day. Unfortunately, the historical record is sparse. The first St. Valentine was a priest and physician in Rome. He along with St. Marius and his family comforted the martyrs during the persecution of Emperor Claudius II, the Goth. Eventually, St. Valentine was also arrested, condemned to death for his faith, beaten with clubs, and finally beheaded on Feb. 14, AD 270. He was buried on the Flaminian Way. Later, Pope Julius I (333-356) built a basilica at the site which preserved St. Valentine's tomb. Archeological digs in the 1500s and 1800s have found evidence of the tomb of St. Valentine. However, in the thirteenth century, his relics were transferred to the Church of Saint Praxedes near the Basilica of St. Mary Major, where they remain today. Also, a small church was built near the Flaminian Gate of Rome which is now known as the Porta del Popolo but was called in the 12th century "the Gate of St. Valentine," as noted by the early British historian William Somerset (also known as William of Malmesbury, d. 1143), who ranks after St. Bede in authority.

The second St. Valentine was the Bishop of Interamna (now Terni, located about 60 miles from Rome). Under the orders of Prefect Placidus, he too was arrested, scourged, and decapitated, again suffering persecution during the time of Emperor Claudius II.

The third St. Valentine suffered martyrdom in Africa with several companions. However, nothing further is known about this saint. In all, these men, each named St. Valentine, showed heroic love for the Lord and His Church.

Seems pretty obvious. Weren't most of the saints martyrs as well? Why is holy week way more important than Christmas? No one knows when these people were born but we very often know the date and time when someone was publicly executed or a war happened.

Wow,.. you actually said something right,... for once.

You're joking right?

Saints are a Catholic thing. Protestants don't worship people or idols.

they dont?.....when i was growing up people would be kneeling in front of the statue of mary praying to her in the church..........

Okay. Kneeling and praying. Nothing wrong there.

A piece of art depicting Mary. Surely not some false god idol.

No problem so far.

I have dealt with this issue thousands of times in the past. Give this link a whirl:

No problem so far.

I have dealt with this issue thousands of times in the past. Give this link a whirl:

Well in spite of Catholic's kneeling....standing....kneeling....standing....in church, I do respect them for taking a strong conservative stand against abortion.

And their Friday night fish dinners are pretty darned tasty. :laughing0301:

Saints are a Catholic thing. Protestants don't worship people or idols.
Neither do Catholics.

But protestants believe anyone who has been baptized in the name of the father, son and holy spirit are saints. Which Catholics believe also. It's just that Catholics makes distinctions between living saints and dead saint (saints in light)s. According to Paul, these “saints in light” are the ones who possess the full “inheritance,” and the Christians on earth only “share” or “partake” in that inheritance.

No problem so far.

plenty wrong for me....i left that cult as soon as i was old enough....the second commandment says you dont use statues for worshiping purposes...

Forum List

Back