A new term has been coined: "runway excursion incident"

An incursion is when something gets on the runway that shouldn't be there, while excursion is when a plane leaves the runway improperly. These words aren't that big I don't see the problem.

You don't see the problem? How about leaving off those utterly useless bureaucratic concealment words and saying " a COW got on the RUNWAY, for God's sake, can't you guys deal with livestock better than that????"

And excursion definitely does not mean leaves the runway improperly. The word for that is, "We fell down the HILL almost into the SEA and CNN and the whole damn world is looking at us on CABLE."

People, could we not let bureaucrats use obfuscation words to conceal their complete inability to cope with the modern world and instead use plain English to describe what HAPPENED?

Aviation does not use plain English on purpose, they use terminology that is meant to convey precise meaning in the fewest possible words. Aviation also uses countless abreviations. VOR, CFIT, GPS, NOTAMS, FL180, DME.

You seem to expect the rest of the world to speak directly to you in your approved verbiage. Come now that would leave everyone FUBAR.

Aviation does not use plain English on purpose, they use terminology that is meant to convey precise meaning in the fewest possible words. Aviation also uses countless abreviations. VOR, CFIT, GPS, NOTAMS, FL180, DME.

Boy, I believe that. They use all this stupid alphabet soup to disguise the regrettable fact that they are plunging head down into the EVERGLADES.

Or the Black Sea, in this case. Sure, I bet they'd love to use one of your acronyms instead of plain language to say, "Whoops.......where we are is......pointing 45 degrees down, 15 meters from the water."

You know, I don't believe that. It was at a "shift change" when a saboteur could have gotten in, and it is hard to believe there was just one easy-to-push button as they imply. What, no computer program? Passwords? Permissions required? Just a big red button labeled "Push here to warn Hawaiians they are all going to die"? No, I don't believe that.

Saboteurs:
There is no indication that any unauthorized persons had access to the alert system. If there's going to be a saboteur, it's going to be someone who is authorized to send an alert and who does so maliciously.​

I'm trying to believe all the "Mistake! Mistake!!" yelling today, but I've gotten very cynical about government cover-ups. And as Lily Tomlin said, however cynical I become, it's never enough to keep up.

"As easy as pushing a button":
Well, given the explanation given by the folks in Hawaii who manage that system, it was that easy. There were several protocols/controls that should have been in place and that were not.
  • Only one person was needed to issue an alert of the nature that was issued. Just as launching nuclear weapons requires two people to do so, so too should have the procedure warning residents of an inbound missile strike (nuclear or otherwise). After all telling folks a warhead is inbound is no less important than is sending a warhead to explode on an enemy. The affected parties/locales in either situation are destined to suffer mayhem, and obviously nobody wants to needlessly cause mayhem among one's own populace on account of a procedural error.
Well, I sure agree enthusiastically with that!
Two movie stars had real meltdowns on Twitter from the panic, and lots of stories are now coming about how it felt to believe you are moments away from a flaming death by nuclear bomb.

There is no point to this emergency alert system except to promote the power of government. Either you are going to die of getting nuked or not: no use waiting in terror for it.

We have an emergency warning system in my county whereby county people call up phones with a robocall. They got to abusing that: it might rain. It might be a terrible snowstorm, call off school, stay home from work! (Two inches fell that time.) The new county exec cut back on the calling a lot --- people had started to sneer, naturally.

I just wonder why these people get upset. If you are going to die, you will merely cease to exist in a matter of milliseconds. I would take the time to see if I were flexible enough to kiss my own ass goodbye!

However cynical I feel about any given issue, I'm unwilling to air my cynicism when I lack strong facts II can use to support my cynical assertions about the nature and extent of the matter in question. The mere fact that I suspect something be "rotten in Denmark" is not enough for me to contrive and assemble a hodgepodge of circumstantially and/or obliquely pertinent data points that result in my publishing a procrustean claim that there is something "rotten in Denmark," even that I think there be.

Call that patience; call it prudence; call it pride. I call it merely a practice that's served me well 30+ years of personal and professional relationship and reputation building whereby among the people who rely upon and know me well, perfidious is not what they call me.

"Perfidious" can't be quite right, can it? They wouldn't call you perfidious, implying a small-scale villainy, dishonesty, if you indulged in cynical expressions of opinion. More --- a pop-off? Inclined to conspiracy theories? Paranoid?

Well, me and Willy Shakespeare --- we default to rotten in Denmark. I spent far too many years being far too trusting and the world sure loved making a fool of me for that. So now I'm veering over the other way, like Martin Luther's drunk on a horse: the one thing he can't do is sit up straight in the middle. But maybe you can: ride on.
"Perfidious" can't be quite right, can it? They wouldn't call you perfidious, implying a small-scale villainy, dishonesty, if you indulged in cynical expressions of opinion. More --- a pop-off? Inclined to conspiracy theories? Paranoid?
Um, yes, perfidious is what I meant. (Click here too.) I suppose I could have written "untrustworthy," but I was clearly feeling p-alliterative, so I went with the adjectival form of "perfidy."

Avoid alliteration always!

However cynical I feel about any given issue, I'm unwilling to air my cynicism when I lack strong facts II can use to support my cynical assertions about the nature and extent of the matter in question. The mere fact that I suspect something be "rotten in Denmark" is not enough for me to contrive and assemble a hodgepodge of circumstantially and/or obliquely pertinent data points that result in my publishing a procrustean claim that there is something "rotten in Denmark," even that I think there be.

Call that patience; call it prudence; call it pride. I call it merely a practice that's served me well 30+ years of personal and professional relationship and reputation building whereby among the people who rely upon and know me well, perfidious is not what they call me.

Well, me and Willy Shakespeare --- we default to rotten in Denmark. I spent far too many years being far too trusting and the world sure loved making a fool of me for that. So now I'm veering over the other way, like Martin Luther's drunk on a horse: the one thing he can't do is sit up straight in the middle. But maybe you can: ride on.
Um, yes, perfidious is what I meant. (Click here too.) I suppose I could have written "untrustworthy," but I was clearly feeling p-alliterative, so I went with the adjectival form of "perfidy."

Patience, prudence, pride, perfidious? You may have a point there. :)

Of all the venues wherein I have expressed my ideas -- from sidewalks to sitting rooms, from stables to stores or behind closed doors -- USMB is the only place where people have anything to say about word choice. Most often what I see folks write is that they think my diction is esoteric.

Were one not to have graduated from high school, one might be inclined to believe their assertions. To a fifth grader, for example, yes, my diction is almost certainly "challenging," but then not since my youngest child was in the fifth grade have I had any need to use diction suited to fifth graders. To individuals who didn't "waste their time" in high school, my diction consists merely of words that are neither abstruse nor arcane. Why USMB has as many folks who, apparently and to some extent, "wasted their time" in high school is beyond me. (In the context of this conversation, I have no specific individuals in mind.)

A Pegasus Airlines 737-800 landing at Trabzon Airport in northeastern Turkey had, according to Turkish officials, a "runway excursion incident." Apparently, that means "the plane ran off the runway and nearly crashed into the Black Sea." LOL

TELEMMGLPICT000151256281_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqXPAmA9P151MiH0sdDh9CCo7ZLmK-tGUN7HKckZW4yfY.jpeg

_99589769_044030535.jpg

skynews-turkey-plane-crash_4205352.jpg

Obviously, it's fortunate that the plane did not end up in the water and that nobody onboard was seriously injured. But is saying "the plane ran/skidded off the runway and we have yet to determine how or why" such an unclear, bad or ineffective way to describe what happened that saying it "had a runway excursion incident" is a better way of putting it?

That just rolls off the tongue ( or the runway) doesn't it?

Of all the venues wherein I have expressed my ideas -- from sidewalks to sitting rooms, from stables to stores or behind closed doors -- USMB is the only place where people have anything to say about word choice. Most often what I see folks write is that they think my diction is esoteric.

Were one not to have graduated from high school, one might be inclined to believe their assertions. To a fifth grader, for example, yes, my diction is almost certainly "challenging," but then not since my youngest child was in the fifth grade have I had any need to use diction suited to fifth graders. To individuals who didn't "waste their time" in high school, my diction consists merely of words that are neither abstruse nor arcane. Why USMB has as many folks who, apparently and to some extent, "wasted their time" in high school is beyond me. (In the context of this conversation, I have no specific individuals in mind.)

Because you sound like and ARE a dick. There, plain American English for ya!

A Pegasus Airlines 737-800 landing at Trabzon Airport in northeastern Turkey had, according to Turkish officials, a "runway excursion incident." Apparently, that means "the plane ran off the runway and nearly crashed into the Black Sea." LOL

TELEMMGLPICT000151256281_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqXPAmA9P151MiH0sdDh9CCo7ZLmK-tGUN7HKckZW4yfY.jpeg

_99589769_044030535.jpg

skynews-turkey-plane-crash_4205352.jpg

Obviously, it's fortunate that the plane did not end up in the water and that nobody onboard was seriously injured. But is saying "the plane ran/skidded off the runway and we have yet to determine how or why" such an unclear, bad or ineffective way to describe what happened that saying it "had a runway excursion incident" is a better way of putting it?

That just rolls off the tongue ( or the runway) doesn't it?

LOL

Off that runway, and apparently off Turkish aviation officials' tongues, yes. LOL Maybe one needs to speak Turkish to understand how any why. LOL

I damn sure can't say markedly more than "howdy do," "please," "thank you," "see ya later" and one lyric, "Allah Allah deyip geçer genç Osman," to a song that I no longer recall to what it specifically pertains, but that, if recollection serves well, evokes some sort of pride or nostalgia as might a number of songs any nation counts as part of its cultural lexicon: America, God Bless America, Battle Hymn of the Republic, or even the theme song for the Beverly Hillbillies.

Last edited:

Now, Xelor, you know you use gargantuan words. :)

But I love it. And I love talking about your words. So carry on, as you were.

You say "from stable to stores" (and yes, I see the metered rhyme there) and then say you don't have specific indivs. in mind? Doubt, doubt, doubt is occurring --- but Leo and I have stopped talking about horses, really we have. I think.[/QUOTE]

But I love it. And I love talking about your words. So carry on, as you were.

You say "from stable to stores" (and yes, I see the metered rhyme there) and then say you don't have specific indivs. in mind? Doubt, doubt, doubt is occurring --- but Leo and I have stopped talking about horses, really we have. I think.
[/QUOTE]
OT:
Really? Define "gargantuan word." Actually, I think it more the case that you and others think I use brobdingnagian words far more often than I in fact do. (You know I couldn't resist that. After all, who didn't read Swift?)

All I can say is that the overwhelming majority of all the words I use are words that any American high school graduate can be reasonably expected to have learned at some time between grades K and 12. You and anyone else will see as much were you to click on the link I provided in post 26.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

-- Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"​

You say "from stable to stores" (and yes, I see the metered rhyme there) and then say you don't have specific indivs. in mind? Doubt, doubt, doubt is occurring

I can't stop you from doubting. Read enough of my posts and you observe that I'm never reticent to say whatever crosses my mind and that I can and will strongly support if forced to do so.​

Really? Define "gargantuan word."​

Big. Real big. From Rabelais' decidedly blue but big comic heroes.

Actually, I think it more the case that you and others think I use brobdingnagian words far more often than I in fact do. (You know I couldn't resist that. After all, who didn't read Swift?)

Strange coincidence, the B word has popped up twice today for me. Your use, and earlier I was reading an ethics paper on affirmative action, in which normals came to the land of the Brobdingnagians and couldn't manage equal accomplishments because all the tools and everything else was way too big for them to use. So should they be given little tools so they could work effectively? It went on from there and ended up a VERY bad example, IMO, but it was odd to run into Swift twice in one day.

All I can say is that the overwhelming majority of all the words I use are words that any American high school graduate can be reasonably expected to have learned at some time between grades K and 12.

I'm sure you are quite right. It's not the majority of words, but the minority of sesquipedalian words that hook our eyes and hang us up like a log collecting debris in the flow of a river. But it's sort of fun. And legal.

Really? Define "gargantuan word."​

Big. Real big. From Rabelais' decidedly blue but big comic heroes.

Actually, I think it more the case that you and others think I use brobdingnagian words far more often than I in fact do. (You know I couldn't resist that. After all, who didn't read Swift?)

Strange coincidence, the B word has popped up twice today for me. Your use, and earlier I was reading an ethics paper on affirmative action, in which normals came to the land of the Brobdingnagians and couldn't manage equal accomplishments because all the tools and everything else was way too big for them to use. So should they be given little tools so they could work effectively? It went on from there and ended up a VERY bad example, IMO, but it was odd to run into Swift twice in one day.

All I can say is that the overwhelming majority of all the words I use are words that any American high school graduate can be reasonably expected to have learned at some time between grades K and 12.

I'm sure you are quite right. It's not the majority of words, but the minority of sesquipedalian words that hook our eyes and hang us up like a log collecting debris in the flow of a river. But it's sort of fun. And legal.
It's not the majority of words, but the minority of sesquipedalian words that hook our eyes and hang us up like a log collecting debris in the flow of a river.
Might five syllable words, in your mind, qualify?
  • Modifiable
  • Eieio
  • Electricity
  • University
  • Curiosity
  • Apocalypse
  • Everybody
  • Discrimination
I'm hardly the only person around using those words, yet that I use five syllable words suddenly makes me be the one who uses gargantuan/sesquipedalian words. Really?

`
The first thing I thought when I read about this incident was "negligence." The degree of this is undetermined. Beyond that, everything is mere speculation unless more facts become available. There is no logical reason to suspect a conspiracy.

Forum List

Back