Boeing 787 Dreamliner Vietnam Incident Raises Concerns About Jet’s Safety

Flight data recorder will show whether or not the pilots deployed the landing gear and subsequently got a display indicating they’re down and locked. Also, the pilots would be heard on the cockpit voice recorder calling out landing gear deployment, flaps, and other stuff on their landing checklist.

Could be they got displays the gear was down when it really wasn’t, which would obviously point to some sort of malfunction.

They also wouldn’t have been the first nor last flight crew to somehow miss their gear deployment during the landing checklist. It happens.

Just watched an Air Disasters episode that concluded the very experienced Captain and First Officer of a NW flight departing Detroit back in the 80s failed to deploy wing flaps and slats during their preflight checklist. Flaps and slats provide much needed lift and without them deployed the plane crashed on takeoff killing all but one I think it was. All pilots know how crucial flaps and slats and locked landing gear are to getting a plane safely off the ground and back down again, yet they still on occasion make deadly mistakes.

Being an owner of a Global 5000 and a licensed pilot, I can tell you that it was pilot error.

Flight data recorder will show whether or not the pilots deployed the landing gear and subsequently got a display indicating they’re down and locked. Also, the pilots would be heard on the cockpit voice recorder calling out landing gear deployment, flaps, and other stuff on their landing checklist.

Could be they got displays the gear was down when it really wasn’t, which would obviously point to some sort of malfunction.

They also wouldn’t have been the first nor last flight crew to somehow miss their gear deployment during the landing checklist. It happens.

Just watched an Air Disasters episode that concluded the very experienced Captain and First Officer of a NW flight departing Detroit back in the 80s failed to deploy wing flaps and slats during their preflight checklist. Flaps and slats provide much needed lift and without them deployed the plane crashed on takeoff killing all but one I think it was. All pilots know how crucial flaps and slats and locked landing gear are to getting a plane safely off the ground and back down again, yet they still on occasion make deadly mistakes.

Being an owner of a Global 5000 and a licensed pilot, I can tell you that it was pilot error.

So owning an airplane and being a pilot gives you information about crashes you know nothing about?

I'm a pilot and mechanic and I don't make claims about shit I have no information about.

So owning an airplane and being a pilot gives you information about crashes you know nothing about?

I'm a pilot and mechanic and I don't make claims about shit I have no information about.

Let's see; On final, tower tell you your wheels are up, put wheels down, land. How is this NOT DWA error?

I'd love to hear the voice recorder. How many "dumb ass" alarms, and how many times the "dumb ass" alarms were silenced.

It's amazing. The investigation of the incident is not expected to be completed by the first quarter of 2020.

This implies it's not just a simple incident of pilots forgetting to lower the landing gear because that doesn't take 6+ months to investigate.

The length of time implies the ATSB is compiling information from a considerable number of incident reports.

Why Vietnam Airlines Boeing 787 Almost Landed Without It’s Gear Down In Australia? - Vietnam Insider

... Despite Boeing claiming “industry-leading technology” in its 787 Dreamliner, the aircraft has had a number of issues. In July this year, Simple Flying reported that the 787 Dreamliner was being probed by the US Department of Justice, with issues relating to poor production.

But there have also been issues with the Dreamliner, including:
an emergency engine surge on a Norwegian Air Shuttle service
a door seal leak on a Japan Airlines flight from Tokyo to Bangkok
smoke in the aircraft cabin on a United Airlines flight.

It seems that the Dreamliner may not be all that dreamy but in this case it’s not yet clear which party is to blame.

The investigation is still in the early stages, with the ATSB in its evidence collection process as it gathers additional information from the flight crew. The investigation is expected to be completed by the first quarter of 2020 where it will produce an eight-page document of its findings. It said:

“Should a critical safety issue be identified during the course of the investigation, the ATSB will immediately notify those affected and seek safety action to address the issue.”

Let's see; On final, tower tell you your wheels are up, put wheels down, land. How is this NOT DWA error?

I'd love to hear the voice recorder. How many "dumb ass" alarms, and how many times the "dumb ass" alarms were silenced.

Like I said you know absolutely nothing about what happened in the cockpit of that airplane.

Like I said you know absolutely nothing about what happened in the cockpit of that airplane.

Airplane Mechanic, heal thyself. Your nuts are loose.

"Vietnam Airlines"

Third-world pilots are generally the problem. Typically, they're simply not seat of the pants flyers. They have been hastily trained, and they are woefully underpaid.
They rely on computers to fly the plane for them, and when there's a problem, there's typically not enough real flying experience in the cockpit to remedy a catastrophic problem.

NEVER, EVER, FLY ON A THIRD WORLD AIRLINE !!!!!!

Tend to agree but they’ll have to check out the recorders nonetheless.

I know what was reported. Just like SFO, I'll stick with DWA.

Forum List

Back