A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs

RVs depreciate rapidly. So it makes sense to buy used. Many people buy RVs then seldom use them. You can find ten year old RVs very lightly used, selling for a fraction of their cost new.
People who buy RV's and don't use them or don't rent them when they are not using them, are fools.

Eh, they buy an expensive toy. Whether they use it or not is up to them.
Doesn't change the fact that it makes them fools.
Perhaps. But people are still allowed to make mistakes. I think those spending half a million or more on a house that has more rooms then they use as foolish but I do not tell them how crazy I think it is. To each their own.
If they ask, I'll tell them exactly how foolish they are.

I actually looked into purchasing an RV and paying for it through rentals to vacationers. There are even dealers out there that will allow you do do this. You simply set aside those dates that you don't want the RV rented so that it is available to you when you want to use it. The problem with that is that the wear and tear of renting is significant compared to just ownership, but you still basically get an RV for the cost of a down payment.

There are other ways you can tailor the rental agreements so that the RV is rented only the necessary number of times to make that years payments. This ups the price range of RV's you can look into for yourself. You'd have to be sure to rent it enough times to pay it off inside of 3 to 5 years in order to make it work, however.
That may work but an awful lot of risk would come with that setup.
The first thing that comes to my mind is getting insurance that would cover that type of RV setup. There are only a handful of companies that handle fulltime RV insurance. As soon as you mention that you or a relative are not the only drivers they may not insure you.

The next is what happens if the person that rents it tears up the inside? Blows up your holding tanks? What happens if they total it? Since RVs depreciate quickly if totaled will insurance pay enough? Will they pay at all if you rented it out? Will they pay if whoever is driving is killed?

Do you trust who ever rents it to not leave it along side the road? Who pays for a blown tire? If a blown tire is it do to age and rot or is it do to road damage?

Do you leave your things in the RV or do you pull everything out?

People who buy RV's and don't use them or don't rent them when they are not using them, are fools.

Perhaps. But people are still allowed to make mistakes. I think those spending half a million or more on a house that has more rooms then they use as foolish but I do not tell them how crazy I think it is. To each their own.

I actually looked into purchasing an RV and paying for it through rentals to vacationers. There are even dealers out there that will allow you do do this. You simply set aside those dates that you don't want the RV rented so that it is available to you when you want to use it. The problem with that is that the wear and tear of renting is significant compared to just ownership, but you still basically get an RV for the cost of a down payment.

There are other ways you can tailor the rental agreements so that the RV is rented only the necessary number of times to make that years payments. This ups the price range of RV's you can look into for yourself. You'd have to be sure to rent it enough times to pay it off inside of 3 to 5 years in order to make it work, however.
The first thing that comes to my mind is getting insurance that would cover that type of RV setup. There are only a handful of companies that handle fulltime RV insurance. As soon as you mention that you or a relative are not the only drivers they may not insure you.

The next is what happens if the person that rents it tears up the inside? Blows up your holding tanks? What happens if they total it? Since RVs depreciate quickly if totaled will insurance pay enough? Will they pay at all if you rented it out? Will they pay if whoever is driving is killed?

Do you trust who ever rents it to not leave it along side the road? Who pays for a blown tire? If a blown tire is it do to age and rot or is it do to road damage?

There are those insurance companies that cover the cost of renting your rig out to vacationers and it covers the cost of repairs and any damage they do to the interior. As for road insurance, the renter is responsible for ensuring that they are covered for collision an property damage. I think it also covers the cost of vehicle replacement if it gets totaled and the cost of abandonment. Most insurance companies include a roadside service that includes towing.

As for leaving your belongings, no. You would have to provision the RV every time you used it.

My girlfriend and I have rented an RV. Not a bad cost for what we got. We didn't take it anywhere. They delivered it and set it up at the state park in Panama City FL. Good time and didn't have to tow ours. I believe I was between trucks and was using a company truck at work, so towing was an issue on vacation.

A bit off topic. But just a handy little screen tent for those who like spending their time outside, but hate feeding the bugs.

We bought one of these a few months ago. Our previous screen tent, a Coleman, was a pain in the ass to setup. The first time we set this up we had it up in about a minute. Take down is just as quick. Getting it back in the bag take a bit more. But great product.

It could be as simple as "plugging in to an outdoor movie theatre outlet."

Providing elctric power will always come at a cost. RV parks are becoming more expensive. An old drive-in theater would work well, but putting in all that underground wiring and water pipes will be expensive.
for a "gated community" that could have all the amenities necessary to stay for a "short time or a long time".

I am thinking they could include wireless and USB ports.

In any case, the convenience of a relatively convenient place to recharge could take as long as necessary.

Most RV parks have wireless. The USB isn't necessary, since ac outlet plugs for USB charging are readily available and cheap.

But the expense of prepping the land is an issue. To run water and power to all the spots, and do so underground, will not be cheap. Convenience is great but the average RVer doesn't want to be stacked in like a drive-in would. It would take much wider areas to be able to maneuver.
outdoor movie theatre sites are the candidates for this, "case study".

It isn't a case study. It is an investment. Investors want a return on their investment. The cost of running all the lines and pipes will be high. You might end up with 20% to 25% of the number of parking spaces the drive-in originally had. It would work for overnight stops, but not much more. And unless it was well advertised for the RVers, and convenient for an easy stop, there wouldn't be much traffic.

Hard to make back the original investment. Plus you have to jump through a lot of hoops to be able to put in a dumping station.
So, it depends on the size and location of the original, outdoor movie theatre which was already, automobile accessible from inception.

I am thinking an RV wash with dump capability could be included.

Power and communications should not be overly expensive; they put it in the first time and we have better technology now.

Most also had a restaurant.

RV's may be a good choice for electric. The long base is a potential battery storage capacity.
My motorhome weighs 45,000 pounds. No way to move it affordably and effectively on electric. Maybe some day.
due to the weight or the range?
You are looking at a lot of weight and range. The longest I have seen on batteries is 350 miles. This was a car by the way. So increase weight to what an RV is and have no doubt that range might decrease. Most big RVs right now require a Diesel engine.
Should we borrow from the railroad sector and use "petrol electric", in the mean time? Plug and play at the site would be wonderful.

There is no reason why they could not also have fuel vending capability, onsite.

Yes, you could. But there is no way you will be able to compete with truck stops on the price of diesel fuel. So unless someone was running dangerously close to empty, I don't see that being much of a service people wanted. Most places barely make a profit on fuel anyway.
A franchise could help with that. Besides, convenience counts for a lot. Knowing you can refuel before you leave is a great travel convenience.

Last edited:
It costs a large sum of money to put in 50 and 30 amp service in each spot. Then add in water and sewer. Most people will not stay long in a parking lot, they want some space between each other and lawn a few trees near. They often want wifi, pool and at a minimum a meeting place. If they are going to stay more then a night or two they will want things that make them want to stay.
Optimized for RVs could include an entrance fee and "regular services included". You don't actually need to see the large outdoor screen if broadband access is available. RVs could "expand for the night? A port and safe harbor for RVs.

Upgrading to the latest technologies available is alway a good idea, regardless.

There should be a market regardless and Home Depot cannot always accommodate everyone.
You would need to remove at least close to half the parking spaces just so RVs could maneuver and have room to open up. Just to run electric under ground is very expensive. If you run water and sewer then you are adding into the cost. The best you could hope to get would be someone stopping for a night. That kind of campground with electric, water and sewer you might get $25.00 or $30.00 a night. Going to take many years to get your investment back. A few people do use places like Walmart or Home Depot but it is usually just long enough to catch a little shut eye then back to driving.
Depends on location, and other conditions.

The amenities could be the draw.

Let's pretend we want to explore this venture;

It could be the equivalent to a gated community and rest stop for RVs. Vendors could setup shop and help with costs.

What, in your opinion would make it worth a hypothetical, twenty-five dollar entrance free.

First of all, you would have to find an area that is not close to an existing campground. Most state parks have them. KOA is all over the place.

For just an overnight stop, the amenities that would be a draw would be showers and laundry facilities. You'd have to make sure the showers were very secure. One incident with a woman being attacked, or even scared, would end your venture. Word gets around. The laundry facility isn't going to be a moneymaker, but could be a draw.
We are only considering repurposing outdoor movie theatre spaces.

There are those insurance companies that cover the cost of renting your rig out to vacationers and it covers the cost of repairs and any damage they do to the interior. As for road insurance, the renter is responsible for ensuring that they are covered for collision an property damage. I think it also covers the cost of vehicle replacement if it gets totaled and the cost of abandonment. Most insurance companies include a roadside service that includes towing.

As for leaving your belongings, no. You would have to provision the RV every time you used it.
I do have another question. If the coach breaks down from either operator error or just from normal wear and tear what happens? Does the company that is renting out your coach pay to have another one sent out to the renters? Do you pay? Do they get a refund?

Have seen a coach that was driven into a ditch. It took $15,000.00 and six weeks of work. Imagine no one on vacation would sit around for six weeks.
Saw one that the a/c broke through the roof. Someone forgot some of the blocking. When they went across railroad tracks it was one bump too many. I believe the cost was $22,000 and a month of repairs.

Another problem with the plan is based on the behavior of most RVers. Emptying the black water tank is one of the least favorite parts of RVing. So when most people pay for an RV park spot, they use the showers and toilets at the park. Building, maintaining and cleaning those is expensive.

Also, many of the menial tasks in a standard RV park are done by Camp Hosts. Most are paid a small salary or hourly wage, but nothing to get excited about. They typically get a free spot for their RV, which makes the job worthwhile. The ones I have talked to work 3 days on, 4 days off. So they also get to enjoy whatever outdoor activities the park has to offer. A former drive-in wouldn't have much to offer.

And there would be no way to show movies. First of all, RVers have a variety of electronic entertainment available. From internet to satellite tv, they can watch plenty of movies. Plus, it is easy to line up passenger cars one behind the other. But a 10 or 12 foot tall motorhome? YOu block everyone behind you.
Planning is everything. An RV wash and dump station could be included and could be a "pay for service" outlet. Oil changing and refueling could be an option.

It costs a large sum of money to put in 50 and 30 amp service in each spot. Then add in water and sewer. Most people will not stay long in a parking lot, they want some space between each other and lawn a few trees near. They often want wifi, pool and at a minimum a meeting place. If they are going to stay more then a night or two they will want things that make them want to stay.
Optimized for RVs could include an entrance fee and "regular services included". You don't actually need to see the large outdoor screen if broadband access is available. RVs could "expand for the night? A port and safe harbor for RVs.

Upgrading to the latest technologies available is alway a good idea, regardless.

There should be a market regardless and Home Depot cannot always accommodate everyone.
You would need to remove at least close to half the parking spaces just so RVs could maneuver and have room to open up. Just to run electric under ground is very expensive. If you run water and sewer then you are adding into the cost. The best you could hope to get would be someone stopping for a night. That kind of campground with electric, water and sewer you might get $25.00 or $30.00 a night. Going to take many years to get your investment back. A few people do use places like Walmart or Home Depot but it is usually just long enough to catch a little shut eye then back to driving.

It could be the equivalent to a gated community and rest stop for RVs. Vendors could setup shop and help with costs.

What, in your opinion would make it worth a hypothetical, twenty-five dollar entrance free.

First of all, you would have to find an area that is not close to an existing campground. Most state parks have them. KOA is all over the place.

For just an overnight stop, the amenities that would be a draw would be showers and laundry facilities. You'd have to make sure the showers were very secure. One incident with a woman being attacked, or even scared, would end your venture. Word gets around. The laundry facility isn't going to be a moneymaker, but could be a draw.

And I am telling you what a lot of RVers want. Having spent years living in RV parks and talking with many, many RVers, I know something about the topic.

Another problem with the plan is based on the behavior of most RVers. Emptying the black water tank is one of the least favorite parts of RVing. So when most people pay for an RV park spot, they use the showers and toilets at the park. Building, maintaining and cleaning those is expensive.

Also, many of the menial tasks in a standard RV park are done by Camp Hosts. Most are paid a small salary or hourly wage, but nothing to get excited about. They typically get a free spot for their RV, which makes the job worthwhile. The ones I have talked to work 3 days on, 4 days off. So they also get to enjoy whatever outdoor activities the park has to offer. A former drive-in wouldn't have much to offer.

And there would be no way to show movies. First of all, RVers have a variety of electronic entertainment available. From internet to satellite tv, they can watch plenty of movies. Plus, it is easy to line up passenger cars one behind the other. But a 10 or 12 foot tall motorhome? YOu block everyone behind you.
Planning is everything. An RV wash and dump station could be included and could be a "pay for service" outlet. Oil changing and refueling could be an option.

So you charge them a flat fee to get in and park, but have extra charges for using the dump station? That will be popular.

Having to install the storage tanks for fuel would be very expensive and require a LOT of redtape. An RV wash isn't going to be cheap to install either.

So, in addition to buying the drive-in, you will have to pay to install underground powerlines, water lines, and other utilities, build or remodel existing bathroom facilities to include showers, install a large fuel tank to store diesel, build a wash station capable of handling vehicles that are 12+ feet tall and 45 feet long?

And without an attraction, you will have somewhat less traffic than most RV parks, and almost all will be short-term?

Good luck finding an investor.

Last edited:
RV-Lifestyle-Public-Domain-768x512.jpg

Is it because they want to, they lost their other home to repo, or they can’t afford anything else?

A million Americans live full-time in RVs, according to the RV Industry Association. Some have to do it because they can’t afford other options, but many do it by choice. Last year was a record for RV sales, according to the data firm Statistical Surveys. More than 10.5 million households own at least one RV, a jump from 2005 when 7.5 million households had RVs, according to RVIA.

And there’s this:

A 30 year mortgage is essentially a suffocating lifetime financial commitment for many people, and so a lot of Americans are choosing to embrace the RV lifestyle in order to escape those financial chains. One family that the Washington Post recently interviewed says that they are “redefining what the American Dream means”…

We’re a family of four redefining what the American Dream means. It’s happiness, not a four-bedroom house with a two-car garage,” said Robert Meinhofer, who is 45.

The Meinhofers and a dozen others who spoke with The Washington Post about this modern nomadic lifestyle said living in 200 to 400 square feet has improved their marriages and made them happier, even if they’re earning less. There’s no official term for this lifestyle, but most refer to themselves as “full-time RVers,” “digital nomads” or “workampers.”

I don’t see how a family of four could possibly live in an RV, no matter how big it is.

More of this @ A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs As The American Dream Continues To Be "Redefined"
--------------------------------------------- i wouldn't do it with kids but a single male or a husband wife team is cool by me . I knew 2 different guys . One lives in a Greyhound Bus and makes good money as the Chief Engineer in a Hilton Hotel . The other guy lives in a Box Truck parked in the parking lot of his ice skating rink place of employment . He is KING of the rink , drives the ZAMBONI , keeps it and the ice in excellent condition . Both single males about 65 years old now . They have had this lifestyle for 30 years or more . What the heck does a single male need an 8 hundred dollar a month [or more] apartment for ?? The ladies they associate with all know what the deal is . Too me , this is a good lifestyle .

Providing elctric power will always come at a cost. RV parks are becoming more expensive. An old drive-in theater would work well, but putting in all that underground wiring and water pipes will be expensive.
for a "gated community" that could have all the amenities necessary to stay for a "short time or a long time".

In any case, the convenience of a relatively convenient place to recharge could take as long as necessary.

Most RV parks have wireless. The USB isn't necessary, since ac outlet plugs for USB charging are readily available and cheap.

But the expense of prepping the land is an issue. To run water and power to all the spots, and do so underground, will not be cheap. Convenience is great but the average RVer doesn't want to be stacked in like a drive-in would. It would take much wider areas to be able to maneuver.

It isn't a case study. It is an investment. Investors want a return on their investment. The cost of running all the lines and pipes will be high. You might end up with 20% to 25% of the number of parking spaces the drive-in originally had. It would work for overnight stops, but not much more. And unless it was well advertised for the RVers, and convenient for an easy stop, there wouldn't be much traffic.

Hard to make back the original investment. Plus you have to jump through a lot of hoops to be able to put in a dumping station.
So, it depends on the size and location of the original, outdoor movie theatre which was already, automobile accessible from inception.

Power and communications should not be overly expensive; they put it in the first time and we have better technology now.

They put in power to the buildings, but not to the parking spots. Plus, the difference between power a speak and providing 30amp and 50amp service is huge. YOu would have to run conduit from a central location to every lot on the property. Crews doing fiber optics and cable get $2 a foot for burying conduit. That will be a considerable expense. And you still have to put in water lines.

Being accessible for an automobile, and being accessible for a 40' motorhome is two very different things.

My truck is 22 feet long. Our camper is 33 feet long. Having the maneuver a combined length of 55' is much different than parking the family car.

A 40' motorhome with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler in tow is closer to 60 feet.

You would be better off buying an empty or closed truck stop. The facilities are closer to what you want. But you would still have to put in power and water lines to each RV lot.

And I am telling you what a lot of RVers want. Having spent years living in RV parks and talking with many, many RVers, I know something about the topic.
A large outdoor movie theatre complex would be an ideal stop over. They could broadcast movies along with provide internet access.

It could make more commercial sense to cater to RVs in that manner. There is no reason there could not be an RV wash that is flush capable.

Being able to expand and recharge overnight is also very convenient.

A large outdoor movie theatre complex would be an ideal stop over. They could broadcast movies along with provide internet access.

It could make more commercial sense to cater to RVs in that manner. There is no reason there could not be an RV wash that is flush capable.

Other than it being almost impossible to make a profit, it would be great. Provided you find someone willing to throw away a few hundred thousand dollars (at a minimum) and if you could find a closed drive-in close to main travel areas.

Know what is more convenient? A WalMart parking lot for free.

You would be better off buying an empty or closed truck stop. The facilities are closer to what you want. But you would still have to put in power and water lines to each RV lot.
The kid has an idea and no matter what someone that knows something about the subject will change his mind. We both know nothing will ever come of it.

Other than it being almost impossible to make a profit, it would be great. Provided you find someone willing to throw away a few hundred thousand dollars (at a minimum) and if you could find a closed drive-in close to main travel areas.

You simply don't understand the difference in market potential.

why go to camp grounds with wi-fi at all; WalMart is free.

You simply don't understand the difference in market potential.

why go to camp grounds with wi-fi at all; WalMart is free.

I understand the market potential. I also understand the high costs to develop and the minimal profits it would generate.

The reason you go to WalMart is because it is free and they almost always have a traffic light at the entrance to their parking lot, which counts when you are 55 to 60+ feet long and have to turn left.

I also understand the specific market being discussed. I am part of that market. And you? Have you had any dealings with RV camping?

Forum List

Back