A Four Day School Week: Your Opinion

AquaAthena

America First...MAGA
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2010
Central Coast
Many school systems across the country are facing strict budget cuts, and one option on the table is going to four-day school weeks to save money. Since we have a president who won't stop the spending, it looks like our school teachers will take the next hit, in income. Sad times.

Many school systems across the country are facing strict budget cuts, and one option on the table is going to four-day school weeks to save money. Since we have a president who won't stop the spending, it looks like our school teachers will take the next hit, in income. Sad times.

maybe the spending will go down after they are able to gracefully extricate themselves from bush's war of choice

As predictable as the swallows returning to Caprstrano...

magic8ball-its-bushs-fault.jpg

stuck on stupid ^^^^^

most preductiible. :thup:
Stuck on shifting the blame to everyone and anyone, except those to whom it belongs.

Forget the fact that most school funding and scheduling policy is set at the state and local level...Just blame it all on BOOOOOOOOSH!

Hack.

so hypocrites like you whining about spending after eight years of you driving the bus off the cliff is ok?

it;s also kind of funny given that your last thread was a while about clinton.

nutbar.

Educational spending has been doing nothing but increasing in this country as our students have been failing at every increasingly levels. Often the school districts that spend the most per student are some of the worst performing districts in the nation.

When are we going to face up to the fact that education can't be fixed by simply throwing money in the the gigantic pot labeled, "EDUCATION," and hoping that the government officials that have been failing so far will magically be able to fix everything with a few billion more of this nation's tax dollars?

To answer the OP. I think that a 4-day school week is a terrible idea - but I support year-round school and more rigorous expectations on students and teachers with drastically increased support from administration. That being said - if a school has these things (high expectations on students, teachers, administrators...and high support for/from students,teachers, and administrators) then I think that they can accomplish in 4-day weeks what so many schools are failing at with 5-day weeks.

As a teacher, I'd love it. But I also know that my students are exhausted by the end of the day and could never handle an extra hour or more. Also, after school sports would be affected.

And gem - as much as I love summers off, I agree that year round school might be the best way to go.

How about this:

4 day school week....year 'round. Keep the school day the same length as it is now instead of expanding an extra hour or so per day.

I think it just plain makes sense.

Add an extra hour a day to the rest of the week, and eliminate Monday. We all hate Monday anyway. This would make school Tues-Friday.

Why Monday? There are more cars/buses on the road on Monday vs. Friday, so it helps traffic by taking parents driving kids to school off the road, not to mention all the school buses.

It also helps the budget because it reduces utility bills by turning off heat and air conditioning, as well as the kitchen in each school for an extra day per week.

I think its a GREAT idea.....

Educational spending has been doing nothing but increasing in this country as our students have been failing at every increasingly levels. Often the school districts that spend the most per student are some of the worst performing districts in the nation.

When are we going to face up to the fact that education can't be fixed by simply throwing money in the the gigantic pot labeled, "EDUCATION," and hoping that the government officials that have been failing so far will magically be able to fix everything with a few billion more of this nation's tax dollars?

To answer the OP. I think that a 4-day school week is a terrible idea - but I support year-round school and more rigorous expectations on students and teachers with drastically increased support from administration. That being said - if a school has these things (high expectations on students, teachers, administrators...and high support for/from students,teachers, and administrators) then I think that they can accomplish in 4-day weeks what so many schools are failing at with 5-day weeks.

Great thinking! :) The only thing I would add, that could make your analysis a reality, is for parents ( the most important element ) to support the school's teachers and adminstrative policies, and often, even if you could track them down, they aren't going to. The kids know this and this gives the power to the students. ( I know there are exceptions )

stuck on stupid ^^^^^

most preductiible. :thup:
Stuck on shifting the blame to everyone and anyone, except those to whom it belongs.

Forget the fact that most school funding and scheduling policy is set at the state and local level...Just blame it all on BOOOOOOOOSH!

Hack.

so hypocrites like you whining about spending after eight years of you driving the bus off the cliff is ok?

it;s also kind of funny given that your last thread was a while about clinton.

nutbar.
You don't know jack squat about what I was saying during Chimpola's regime, little girl. But a lot of other people around here do, and I'm here to tell you it was far from complimentary.

Or, best keep you mouth shut and look the fool than open it and remove all doubt.

Forum List

Back