A Former Fed Prosecutor Breaks Down the Hunter Biden Plea Deal Circus

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
And it really turned into a circus in Delaware today.

Anyway, this short piece bears reading. It probably is a close as we'll get, barring a DOJ hack confessing to what they were trying to do here with this deal that no one else would ever receive.

Based on conversations with people who were in the courtroom today, and my experience as a former federal prosecutor, I think I know the full story of what happened with the Hunter Biden plea agreement blow-up this morning.

Bear with me, because this is a little complicated:

Typically, if the Government is offering to a defendant that it will either drop charges or decline to bring new charges in return for the defendant's guilty plea, the plea is structured under Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 11(c)(1)(A). An agreement not to prosecute Hunter for FARA violations or other crimes in return for his pleading guilty to the tax misdemeanors, for example, would usually be a (c)(1)(A) plea. This is open, transparent, subject to judicial approval, etc.

In Hunter's case, according to what folks in the courtroom have told me, Hunter's plea was structured under Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 11(c)(1)(B), which is usually just a plea in return for a joint sentencing recommendation only, and contained no information on its face about other potential charges, and contained no clear agreement by DOJ to forego prosecution of other charges.

Instead, DOJ and Hunter's lawyers effectively hid that part of the agreement in what was publicly described as a pretrial diversion agreement relating to a § 922(g)(3) gun charge against Hunter for being a drug user in possession of a firearm.

That pretrial diversion agreement as written was actually MUCH broader than just the gun charge. If Hunter were to complete probation, the pretrial diversion agreement prevented DOJ from ever bringing charges against Hunter for any crimes relating to the offense conduct discussed in the plea agreement, which was purposely written to include his foreign influence peddling operations in China and elsewhere.

So they put the facts in the plea agreement, but put their non-prosecution agreement in the pretrial diversion agreement, effectively hiding the full scope of what DOJ was offering and Hunter was obtaining through these proceedings. Hunter's upside from this deal was vast immunity from further prosecution if he finished a couple years of probation, and the public wouldn't be any the wiser because none of this was clearly stated on the face of the plea agreement, as would normally be the case.

Judge Noreika smelled a rat. She understood that the lawyers were trying to paint her into a corner and hide the ball. Instead, she backed DOJ and Hunter's lawyers into a corner by pulling all the details out into the open and then indicating that she wasn't going to approve a deal as broad as what she had discovered.

DOJ, attempting to save face and save its case, then stated on the record that the investigation into Hunter was ongoing and that Hunter remained susceptible to prosecution under FARA. Hunter's lawyers exploded. They clearly believed that FARA was covered under the deal, because as written, the pretrial diversion agreement language was broad enough to cover it. They blew up the deal, Hunter pled not guilty, and that's the current state of play.

And so here we are. Hunter's lawyers and DOJ are going to go off and try to pull together a new set of agreements, likely narrower, to satisfy Judge Noreika. Fortunately, I doubt if FARA or any charges related to Hunter's foreign influence peddling will be included, which leaves open the possibility of further investigations leading to further prosecutions.

That is a way to play "hide the ball" from the public, but Judges see so many plea agreements in the course of just a single year they realize immediately when something isn't right, and then they ask questions.

That's what happened here. She realized something wasn't kosher and she may issue a "Show Cause" Order asking for an explanation of why the two linked issues were placed in separate documents and then did not call attention to one another.

This was a "hidden" global plea agreement -- and the fact that they tried to pull that off is all the GOP House needs to impeach Merrick Garland.

This is clear misconduct and it would not have happened without the approval of the upper levels of DOJ.

This is not something an AUSA and the US Attorney in Delaware are going to try to slip thru on their own.

If Garland wants to avoid impeachment he should ask Lisa Monaco for her resignation by COB Friday.

Good on the judge. No one should get a pass for other crimes that may not be evident today for pleading guilty for what is.

I'll bet she caves though.

I say it's misconduct because there is no justification for DOJ hiding the fact that it is entering into a global plea agreement from the public. DOJ does its work in court under the scrutiny of the public eye.

By obfuscating what it was doing here through sleight of hand with two different documents -- when it would have been simple and strait forward to put that fact in the plea agreement -- shows they were trying to obscure the effect.

They did it for political reasons to get Hunter the deal he wanted, and to protect the DOJ and WH from any political blowback for treating Hunter in a way no Joe Q Taxpayer would ever be treated.

Misconduct.

Impeachable for Garland.

Get started.

And it really turned into a circus in Delaware today.

Anyway, this short piece bears reading. It probably is a close as we'll get, barring a DOJ hack confessing to what they were trying to do here with this deal that no one else would ever receive.

Based on conversations with people who were in the courtroom today, and my experience as a former federal prosecutor, I think I know the full story of what happened with the Hunter Biden plea agreement blow-up this morning.
Bear with me, because this is a little complicated:
Typically, if the Government is offering to a defendant that it will either drop charges or decline to bring new charges in return for the defendant's guilty plea, the plea is structured under Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 11(c)(1)(A). An agreement not to prosecute Hunter for FARA violations or other crimes in return for his pleading guilty to the tax misdemeanors, for example, would usually be a (c)(1)(A) plea. This is open, transparent, subject to judicial approval, etc.
In Hunter's case, according to what folks in the courtroom have told me, Hunter's plea was structured under Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 11(c)(1)(B), which is usually just a plea in return for a joint sentencing recommendation only, and contained no information on its face about other potential charges, and contained no clear agreement by DOJ to forego prosecution of other charges.
Instead, DOJ and Hunter's lawyers effectively hid that part of the agreement in what was publicly described as a pretrial diversion agreement relating to a § 922(g)(3) gun charge against Hunter for being a drug user in possession of a firearm.
That pretrial diversion agreement as written was actually MUCH broader than just the gun charge. If Hunter were to complete probation, the pretrial diversion agreement prevented DOJ from ever bringing charges against Hunter for any crimes relating to the offense conduct discussed in the plea agreement, which was purposely written to include his foreign influence peddling operations in China and elsewhere.
So they put the facts in the plea agreement, but put their non-prosecution agreement in the pretrial diversion agreement, effectively hiding the full scope of what DOJ was offering and Hunter was obtaining through these proceedings. Hunter's upside from this deal was vast immunity from further prosecution if he finished a couple years of probation, and the public wouldn't be any the wiser because none of this was clearly stated on the face of the plea agreement, as would normally be the case.
Judge Noreika smelled a rat. She understood that the lawyers were trying to paint her into a corner and hide the ball. Instead, she backed DOJ and Hunter's lawyers into a corner by pulling all the details out into the open and then indicating that she wasn't going to approve a deal as broad as what she had discovered.
DOJ, attempting to save face and save its case, then stated on the record that the investigation into Hunter was ongoing and that Hunter remained susceptible to prosecution under FARA. Hunter's lawyers exploded. They clearly believed that FARA was covered under the deal, because as written, the pretrial diversion agreement language was broad enough to cover it. They blew up the deal, Hunter pled not guilty, and that's the current state of play.
And so here we are. Hunter's lawyers and DOJ are going to go off and try to pull together a new set of agreements, likely narrower, to satisfy Judge Noreika. Fortunately, I doubt if FARA or any charges related to Hunter's foreign influence peddling will be included, which leaves open the possibility of further investigations leading to further prosecutions.

I don't even have to look up who appointed Judge Noreika

Just like with the abortion pill case in Amarillo, you get some really weird stuff out of Trump appointed judges.

The problem was the prosecutors didn't hammer out the FARA aspects of this deal, and they should have. FARA prosecutions are very rare, and unless you are selling weapons to the Ayatollahs or something, they are never prosecuted.

They need to have a clearer deal hammered out and then be ready to appeal above Judge Nitwit if she give you any more trouble.

I don't even have to look up who appointed Judge Noreika

Who cares. You are the asshats who have been yelling "no one is above the law!"

Suck it up buttercup. Hunter is a criminal. He should go to prison, but won't thanks to the corrupt DOJ.

The problem was the prosecutors didn't hammer out the FARA aspects of this deal, and they should have. FARA prosecutions are very rare, and unless you are selling weapons to the Ayatollahs or something, they are never prosecuted.

They need to have a clearer deal hammered out and then be ready to appeal above Judge Nitwit if she give you any more trouble.

So the prosecutors dropped the ball and the judge is the one in the wrong for pointing it out?

Who cares. You are the asshats who have been yelling "no one is above the law!"

Suck it up buttercup. Hunter is a criminal. He should go to prison, but won't thanks to the corrupt DOJ.
Hunter isn't an elected official. He just happens to be Biden's troubled son. If he's guilty of whatever, punish him accordingly.
The fact remains that although a judge has the authority to reject a plea deal, it is VERY unusual.

So the prosecutors dropped the ball and the judge is the one in the wrong for pointing it out?
In a lot of the political crimes or people close to others involved in that field, we only go y what we are told. Most of us do not understand the nature of the crimes unless it is in front of us. Hunter's crimes are many. The ones in front of us he made photographs and videos of himself. It's there for all to see. Then we get to the subterfuge, traitorous acts, and costing the taxpayers massive amounts of resources from foreign influence.

Naw, this judge was looking for a reason to foul it up because she's a Trump-bot.
Here's the thing. All the stuff that Hunter is being accused of is ALMOST NEVER PROSECUTED. He's only being singled out because he is the president's son.

Every president has had that relative who was kind of an embarrassment. Remember Billy Beer?

1690454615674.jpeg

Usually, we have a good laugh, and move on.

Naw, this judge was looking for a reason to foul it up because she's a Trump-bot.

And yet all she did was point out what you already agreed the prosecutors did wrong.

Here's the thing. All the stuff that Hunter is being accused of is ALMOST NEVER PROSECUTED. He's only being singled out because he is the president's son.

Every president has had that relative who was kind of an embarrassment. Remember Billy Beer?

View attachment 808355
Usually, we have a good laugh, and move on.

Beer was legal, crack isn't. A ton of people have been prosecuted over that. Biden refuses to support the legalization of something like pot. Seems appropriate then that his son goes through what many others have had to.

In six weeks, they'll hammer out a new agreement, and you guys will be back here whining that Judge Nitwit is another Deep State Traitor.
Their new deal wont include complete immunity, so your prediction is not going to happen.

And yet all she did was point out what you already agreed the prosecutors did wrong.

Nope, she should have just accepted it, and if it wasn't Biden's kid, and she wasn't a Trumpbot, she would have. You can find a legal flaw in almost any plea agreement. Most judges just accept them knowing both sides just want this over.

Beer was legal, crack isn't. A ton of people have been prosecuted over that. Biden refuses to support the legalization of something like pot. Seems appropriate then that his son goes through what many others have had to.

People are charged with DEALING Crack. Not using it.
Frankly, I think the war on drugs is kind of stupid, but my guess is that if we ever legalize it, we certainly won't be creating the rehab programs to replace it.

I lived in a community where a drug rehab organization wanted to buy up an unused hotel to make into a rehab center with a whopping 200 beds. The community went absolutely NUTS over it, organized boycotts, pressured the town board and it was abandoned.

Forum List

Back