A clean future, better salary for teachers, and more money for the school district. Solar

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Significant savings with solar;

In Batesville, Arkansas, just 17 miles west of the state’s largest coal-fired power plant, a solar array at the local high school is having an unconventional impact: boosting teachers’ pay.

In 2017, energy efficiency company Entegrity conducted an energy audit of the Batesville School District, which currently comprises Batesville High School and five other schools that serve roughly 3,200 students.

The project that resulted has helped slash the district’s annual energy consumption by 1.6 million kilowatts and in three years generated enough savings to transform the district’s $250,000 budget deficit into a $1.8 million surplus.

Just as Hester envisioned at the outset, a major chunk of the money is going toward teachers’ salaries — fueling pay raises that average between $2,000 and $3,000 per educator.

In Batesville, Arkansas, just 17 miles west of the state’s largest coal-fired power plant, a solar array at the local high school is having an unconventional impact: boosting teachers’ pay.

In 2017, energy efficiency company Entegrity conducted an energy audit of the Batesville School District, which currently comprises Batesville High School and five other schools that serve roughly 3,200 students.

The project that resulted has helped slash the district’s annual energy consumption by 1.6 million kilowatts and in three years generated enough savings to transform the district’s $250,000 budget deficit into a $1.8 million surplus.

Just as Hester envisioned at the outset, a major chunk of the money is going toward teachers’ salaries — fueling pay raises that average between $2,000 and $3,000 per educator.

An old friend of mine actually conducts these audits for schools and has been preaching solar for years as a way to be more efficient and to save money.

The audit also revealed that the school district could save at least $2.4 million over 20 years if it outfitted Batesville High School with more than 1,400 solar panels and updated all of the district’s facilities with new lights, heating and cooling systems, and windows.

How much did they pay for 1,400 solar panels and new lights, heating and cooling systems, and windows?

The audit also revealed that the school district could save at least $2.4 million over 20 years if it outfitted Batesville High School with more than 1,400 solar panels and updated all of the district’s facilities with new lights, heating and cooling systems, and windows.

How much did they pay for 1,400 solar panels and new lights, heating and cooling systems, and windows?
I rather imagine a great deal less than 2.4 million. They are still grid connected, so they will also be contributing to the grid during the summer when school is out. That will probably pay for the infrastructure.

I rather imagine a great deal less than 2.4 million. They are still grid connected, so they will also be contributing to the grid during the summer when school is out. That will probably pay for the infrastructure.

I rather imagine a great deal less than 2.4 million.

You have a good imagination. You have any facts?

They save $120,000 a year?
That's awesome!!!

Again, as indicated by my prior (capitalized for emphasis) use of the word, "NET", I believe that is figured into the calcs.

Well now, they state that their present bill is $600K a year, that is $12,000,000 over 20 years. If they say they are saving $120K a year, then one can assume that the system cost them under $10,000,000. Looks like a real winner to me.

If they say they are saving $120K a year, then one can assume that the system cost them under $10,000,000. Looks like a real winner to me.

Why can you assume that about the cost of the system?
If they paid $9 million, to save $120,000 a year, that would be a loser. Right?

Why can you assume that about the cost of the system?
If they paid $9 million, to save $120,000 a year, that would be a loser. Right?
Because we trust the auditor thought of that before you did. Because, nothing personal, you know fuck all about any of it and it is his career.

Yeah, I doubt that.

The Little Rock, Arkansas-based company found that the district’s annual utility bills surpassed $600,000, a steep sum for a school system that for years was strapped for cash — and struggled to retain teachers as a result.

But there was some good news.

LOL!

The Little Rock, Arkansas-based company found that the district’s annual utility bills surpassed $600,000, a steep sum for a school system that for years was strapped for cash — and struggled to retain teachers as a result.

But there was some good news.

LOL!
Thanks, doesn't say what you said, I appreciate the assist.

Forum List

Back