Let's stop standardized high stakes testing in Texas schools for five years, and spend the money on security

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
The state of Texas spends more than 90 Million dollars per year on the "STAAR test" (State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness), which purports to measure the quality of education by testing the knowledge of students.* The 90 million dollars is the money paid directly to Pearson Education, a foreign company to whom the STAAR was outsourced after the original publisher took its money and ran.

School districts spend untold additional money on testing expenses. In my district we have two very senior district administrators dedicated to the STAAR. One is the "Testing Coordinator" whose job is compliance, which is making sure that we meet all the legal requirements and avoid the dreaded "irregularity," which is a mistake that invalidates a student's test. The other is the Deputy Superintendent for Curriculum, a job which used to be about making sure children learn, but is now about teaching to the test.

Countless hours and dollars are spent throughout the year on "Benchmark Testing," data meetings, and other ways to increase the district's test scores. The latest strategy is to focus on "bubble kids," whose benchmark tests results indicate that they are predicted to score close to passing, either slightly above or slightly below the line. By focusing resources on those kids, more of them pass than fail, raising the overall percentage.

Kids who are very likely to pass because they have learned enough, as well as kids who are not likely to pass, because they haven't learned enough to even have a chance, can be (and are) ignored under that strategy.

Testing will be useless for the next five years, anyway. All it will really measure is how far behind students are falling due to the COVID hysteria.
Really far.

This much we know without testing: students learn nothing after they are murdered by serial killers who are allowed to simply walk into schools carrying high-capacity weapons.

Let's stop this useless spending, and divert the money to safety and security. One off-duty police officer working part time as a school resource officer cannot protect a thousand kids at a high school. We need secure entry ports at which metal detectors are used to prevent guns from coming in. We need hardened classroom doors, safe rooms, and partitions that can be activated remotely to block off hallways to limit the access of any intruder who does make it through. We need teachers trained and armed as a last line of defense.

*The STAAR doesn't measure academic achievement. It is basically an IQ test, much more so than the old "TAKS" was. Smart kids can work out the answers on a STAAR test, whether they have paid attention in class or not. Not-so-smart kids may have painstakingly learned the math calculation methods, but they are tripped up trying to figure out what math to use for a word problem like:

To produce a special concrete, for every 13 kg of cement, 3 liters of water is required. Which of the following ratios is the same as the ratio of cement to liters of water?

Last edited:
If the 'test' is the measurement of what is required to know before moving on, just how is that teaching to the test is not considered good?

Do we teach children that 4+4 is 27 because we don't want to teach to the 'test'?

If the 'test' is the measurement of what is required to know before moving on, just how is that teaching to the test is not considered good?

Do we teach children that 4+4 is 27 because we don't want to teach to the 'test'?
I see what you're saying, and you have a good point. If the test is about American History, so we teach the kids all we can about American History, you're right. But that's not exactly what happens. We do that for the majority of teaching time. But about twenty to thirty percent of instructional time is spent preparing the kids for the specific ways to succeed on the STAAR.

I have to explain what I mean by teaching to the test. I'll try to make it short.

The STAAR is a multiple choice test with four answer choices for most questions. On some questions, two of the answer choices could be correct, with no real way to tell the difference. So there are companies that sell sample questions that have that same flaw and we use them. We deliberately give the kids confusing questions during class time, so that they don't freak out so bad when they encounter a confusing question on the "real deal" as we call it.

Science, and Social studies questions often have charts and graphs with information not needed for the question as distractors. Math problems often have numbers that have nothing to do with the problem. "Juan is 15 years old. He earns 10 dollars per lawn mowing grass and each lawn takes an average of $1.50 in gas. How much money will Juan earn mowing seven lawns?"

So we spend time teaching how to ignore distractors instead of teaching science, history and social studies.

We also use previous tests as "benchmarks," so the kids have experience with the exact kind of test they are to take. Two or three benchmarks per year take almost a whole day that could have been spent teaching. But the test gurus need the data, so they can strategize to target the teaching to what the kids are not doing well on benchmarks.

Some of the math questions are gridable, which means that they not only have to find the math in the word problem, and correctly work the math calculation, they also have to grid it correctly. So we spend time practicing gridding decimals, instead of practicing division with decimals.

None of that is tragic, but it is wasteful. My real issue is that the STAAR test measures innate intelligence, and comfort with taking tests, rather than learning, in my opinion. Texas law requires that standardized tests be checked for validity by someone besides the publisher or the Texas Education Agency. The publisher and the TEA refused to submit it to for such a check. But they give the test anyway, citing federal law.

Learning to grid is easy for a high IQ kid, and they don't get rattled by confusing questions. They get that a multiple choice can have two answers that might be correct, so they pick one and move on to a question with a higher probability that they can find the one correct answer. They can quickly identify information not needed and ignore it. A kid with test anxiety and/or low IQ may stress over those things, wasting limited test time.

I teach special education, so my kids stress out over a regular test, much less a high stakes test designed to be confusing.

If you read this far, I thank you for indulging my rant!

Last edited:
I see what you're saying, and you have a good point. If the test is about American History, so we teach the kids all we can about American History, you're right. But that's not exactly what happens. We do that for the majority of teaching time. But about twenty to thirty percent of instructional time is spent preparing the kids for the specific ways to succeed on the STAAR.

I have to explain what I mean by teaching to the test. I'll try to make it short.

The STAAR is a multiple choice test with four answer choices for most questions. On some questions, two of the answer choices could be correct, with no real way to tell the difference. So there are companies that sell sample questions that have that same flaw and we use them. We deliberately give the kids confusing questions during class time, so that they don't freak out so bad when they encounter a confusing question on the "real deal" as we call it.

Science, and Social studies questions often have charts and graphs with information not needed for the question as distractors. Math problems often have numbers that have nothing to do with the problem. "Juan is 15 years old. He earns 10 dollars per lawn mowing grass and each lawn takes an average of $1.50 in gas. How much money will Juan earn mowing seven lawns?"

So we spend time teaching how to ignore distractors instead of teaching science, history and social studies.

We also use previous tests as "benchmarks," so the kids have experience with the exact kind of test they are to take. Two or three benchmarks per year take almost a whole day that could have been spent teaching. But the test gurus need the data, so they can strategize to target the teaching to what the kids are not doing well on benchmarks.

Some of the math questions are gridable, which means that they not only have to find the math in the word problem, and correctly work the math calculation, they also have to grid it correctly. So we spend time practicing gridding decimals, instead of practicing division with decimals.

None of that is tragic, but it is wasteful. My real issue is that the STAAR test measures innate intelligence, and comfort with taking tests, rather than learning, in my opinion. Texas law requires that standardized tests be checked for validity by someone besides the publisher or the Texas Education Agency. The publisher and the TEA refused to submit it to for such a check. But they give the test anyway, citing federal law.

Learning to grid is easy for a high IQ kid, and they don't get rattled by confusing questions. They get that a multiple choice can have two answers that might be correct, so they pick one and move on to a question with a higher probability that they can find the one correct answer. They can quickly identify information not needed and ignore it. A kid with test anxiety and/or low IQ may stress over those things, wasting limited test time.

I teach special education, so my kids stress out over a regular test, much less a high stakes test designed to be confusing.

If you read this far, I thank you for indulging my rant!
That "high stakes testing" brought to you by conservatives who wanted to have a definitive measure for school accountability.

Everyone wants everything both ways. They want to besmirch all teachers as incompetent, indoctrinating predators, but then they want to give all of them guns. They demand personal accountability for every student that passes through the classroom, but then they want to take away the means by which such accountability can be held. Make up your fucking minds.

Everyone wants everything both ways. They want to besmirch all teachers as incompetent, indoctrinating predators, but then they want to give all of them guns. They demand personal accountability for every student that passes through the classroom, but then they want to take away the means by which such accountability can be held. Make up your fucking minds.

Forum List

Back