75% Of Our Kids Ineligable For Military Service

Well what will we do for soldiers in our next war to increase corporate profits?
You do realize that sometimes wars are actually to defend our nation, right?
When was the last one to defend the nation?
hmm

dems sent us to Nam
Korea
WW2
WW1

reps sent us to somalia and Iraq

oh and the war on terror

wow, the only war in 100 years that was in retaliation came from reps.

dems just sent us to die for their policies

How long have these same standards been in place? It seems as if the military would take almost anybody just a couple decades ago.
The military's adoption of high tech weapons systems means that the typical soldier cannot be the apes that they took before, like me.

We certainly have plenty of kids nowadays graduating in fields that would qualify them to work on high tech weapons systems. It seems like the problem is that these kids choose not to join the military. You can't even blame them when choosing another career path could be much more lucrative for them.
the issue isn't that they won't, it's that they can't.

How long have these same standards been in place? It seems as if the military would take almost anybody just a couple decades ago.
The military's adoption of high tech weapons systems means that the typical soldier cannot be the apes that they took before, like me.

We certainly have plenty of kids nowadays graduating in fields that would qualify them to work on high tech weapons systems. It seems like the problem is that these kids choose not to join the military. You can't even blame them when choosing another career path could be much more lucrative for them.

Then they should somehow adjust their physical standards depending on what field the potential recruit is pursuing. It's not 1980 anymore. If their recruit is going to be sitting at a computer terminal pressing buttons I don't give a fuck how fast he can climb a wall. All I wanna know is how fast he can blow the wall up.

Our public school system is really doing a job on our kids.

militaryservices.jpg

These are models, not our kids btw

About 75% of America's 17- to 24-year-olds are ineligible for military service due to lack of education, obesity, and other physical problems, or criminal history, according to a report issued in 2009 by the Mission: Readiness group.

Just Not Smart Enough
In its report, Ready, Willing and Unable to Serve, Mission: Readiness - a group of retired military and civilian military leaders - found that one in four young people between 17 and 24 does not have a high school diploma. About 30 percent of those who do, states the report, still fail the Armed Forces Qualification Test, the entrance test required to join the US military. Another one in ten young people cannot serve because of past convictions for felonies or serious misdemeanors, states the report.

Obesity and Other Health Problems Wash Many Out
A full 27 percent of young Americans are simply too overweight to join the military, says Mission: Readiness. "Many are turned away by recruiters and others never try to join.

Of those who attempt to join, however, roughly 15,000 young potential recruits fail their entrance physicals every year because they are too heavy."

Nearly 32 percent have other disqualifying health problems, including asthma, eyesight or hearing problems, mental health issues, or recent treatment for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

Due to all of the above and other assorted problems, only about two out of 10 American young people are fully eligible to join the military without special waivers, according to the report.

"Imagine ten young people walking into a recruiter's office and seven of them getting turned away," said former Under Secretary of the Army Joe Reeder in a press release. "We cannot allow today's dropout crisis to become a national security crisis."

Post-Recession Military Recruiting Goals in Jeopardy
Clearly, what worries the members of Mission: Readiness - and the Pentagon - is that faced with this ever-shrinking pool of qualified young people, the US military branches will no longer be able to meet their recruiting goals once the economy recovers and non-military jobs return.

"Once the economy begins to grow again, the challenge of finding enough high-quality recruits will return," states the report. "Unless we help more young people get on the right track today, our future military readiness will be put at risk."

"The armed services are meeting recruitment targets in 2009, but those of us who have served in command roles are worried about the trends we see," said Rear Admiral James Barnett (USN, Ret.), in a press release. "Our national security in the year 2030 is absolutely dependent on what's going on in pre-kindergarten today. We urge Congress to take action on this issue this year."

Up to 75 Percent of US Youth Ineligible for Military Service
Since you're dissing education, you might want to spell ineligible correctly in your title. Just trying to help.
Yeah, make sure you never make a typo either.

I felt it was wrong but I created the thread in a hurry and had to get off to work.

Sorry.

Now explain how spelling and punctuation render one ineligible for military service.....compared to being unable to pass a BTB, or an ASVAB, or being unable to pass a physical?

Last edited:
Good point!
AQ declares war on the USA, attacks us on our soil, killing thousands, and you libtards cant wrap your brain around the simple fact that our invasion of Afghanistan was to root those bastards out?

Dear Gawd, how did you morons get to be such....fucking morons?
That would be one out of the last how many wars? And why did we not attack The Saudi's?

Good point!
AQ declares war on the USA, attacks us on our soil, killing thousands, and you libtards cant wrap your brain around the simple fact that our invasion of Afghanistan was to root those bastards out?

Dear Gawd, how did you morons get to be such....fucking morons?
Forgot that one. Honestly, 'cuz in my mind that one's not over. Oh, hell, my mistake. Sorry.

photos-huckabees-obamas.jpg

Which one of these Families do Republicans mock and laugh at for wanting children to eat nutritious food?

Then they should somehow adjust their physical standards depending on what field the potential recruit is pursuing. It's not 1980 anymore. If their recruit is going to be sitting at a computer terminal pressing buttons I don't give a fuck how fast he can climb a wall. All I wanna know is how fast he can blow the wall up.
Sorry, but the point of looking for quality is that you get the best, meaning physically and mentally.

Reasons:

A healthy soldier is usually more able to handle the stress and hardship of extreme conditions during a war.

A healthy soldier is less likely to need expensive medical treatment.

A soldier who isn't addicted to drugs or alcohol is less likely to become a discipline problem to his unit.

That is just the health aspect.

When it comes to mental aspects, smarter soldiers learn quicker and tend to adapt to the constant change that military life offers. Basic training rips you out of your comfort zone and puts you through stressful situations. It's called culture-shock.

An ASVAB is designed not only to test your math skills but your mechanical aptitude and your ability to learn.

Sorry, but the point of looking for quality is that you get the best, meaning physically and mentally.

Reasons:

A healthy soldier is usually more able to handle the stress and hardship of extreme conditions during a war.

A soldier who isn't addicted to drugs or alcohol is less likely to become a discipline problem to his unit.

When it comes to mental aspects, smarter soldiers learn quicker and tend to adapt to the constant change that military life offers. Basic training rips you out of your comfort zone and puts you through stressful situations. It's called culture-shock.

An ASVAB is designed not only to test your math skills but your mechanical aptitude and your ability to learn.

Of course there should be a certain physical standard, but a soldier sitting at a computer operating a drone from thousands of miles away doesn't have to be hardened killing machine. War has changed drastically, and throwing bodies into a battlefield is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

As far as the ASVAB goes I somehow doubt it's the tech nerds who are having trouble passing it.

About 75% of America's 17- to 24-year-olds are ineligible for military service due to lack of education, obesity, and other physical problems, or criminal history, according to a report issued in 2009 by the Mission: Readiness group.

We told you this was part of the reason Michelle Obama wanted kids to get off their fat asses and eat better. You guys cried about it and now cry about the inevitable results. Thats the republican way...Complain about the solution then complain about the results of fighting the solution

militaryservices.jpg

Just Not Smart Enough
In its report, Ready, Willing and Unable to Serve, Mission: Readiness - a group of retired military and civilian military leaders - found that one in four young people between 17 and 24 does not have a high school diploma. About 30 percent of those who do, states the report, still fail the Armed Forces Qualification Test, the entrance test required to join the US military. Another one in ten young people cannot serve because of past convictions for felonies or serious misdemeanors, states the report.

A full 27 percent of young Americans are simply too overweight to join the military, says Mission: Readiness. "Many are turned away by recruiters and others never try to join.

Of those who attempt to join, however, roughly 15,000 young potential recruits fail their entrance physicals every year because they are too heavy."

Nearly 32 percent have other disqualifying health problems, including asthma, eyesight or hearing problems, mental health issues, or recent treatment for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

Due to all of the above and other assorted problems, only about two out of 10 American young people are fully eligible to join the military without special waivers, according to the report.

"Imagine ten young people walking into a recruiter's office and seven of them getting turned away," said former Under Secretary of the Army Joe Reeder in a press release. "We cannot allow today's dropout crisis to become a national security crisis."

Clearly, what worries the members of Mission: Readiness - and the Pentagon - is that faced with this ever-shrinking pool of qualified young people, the US military branches will no longer be able to meet their recruiting goals once the economy recovers and non-military jobs return.

"Once the economy begins to grow again, the challenge of finding enough high-quality recruits will return," states the report. "Unless we help more young people get on the right track today, our future military readiness will be put at risk."

"The armed services are meeting recruitment targets in 2009, but those of us who have served in command roles are worried about the trends we see," said Rear Admiral James Barnett (USN, Ret.), in a press release. "Our national security in the year 2030 is absolutely dependent on what's going on in pre-kindergarten today. We urge Congress to take action on this issue this year."

Since you're dissing education, you might want to spell ineligible correctly in your title. Just trying to help.

I felt it was wrong but I created the thread in a hurry and had to get off to work.

Sorry.

Now explain how spelling and punctuation render one ineligible for military service.....compared to being unable to pass a BTB, or an ASVAB, or being unable to pass a physical?
Jeb Bush says only 35 to 40 percent pass military entrance exam
The most recent stats I could find on % of recruits passing the ASVAB (in general--each branch has its own "passing" scores--was around 23% FAIL it. That was based on numbers from 2010, around the same time as the study you quoted. Many more could not get in due to certain tatoos and piercings, and obestiy, or not having a HS diploma.
Common Core is not the problem, and Democrats are not the problem. Trying to educate all kids--with widely disparate IQ's, emotional functioning levels and unequal supports at home--in the same academic programs is a mistake. It has eaten a huge chunk of school budgets to complete massive paperwork and tracking systems for the least capable children in our communities.
Now, considering that these problem kids are the ones I've always liked working with the most, I'm not saying throw them in a room and ignore them 'til they're 18. But what one population can achieve is not what all can achieve. They should be in their own programs with a different set of goals, is all I'm saying, with teachers who are trained and motivated to work with that population. I understand the goals behind mainstreaming, and I agree with it philosophically, but in fact, it has brought down the performance level for all and taken a huge part of school budgets. That is at least a part of it.
I'll be hung by my thumbs for this, I know. But if you look at the federal legislation that began hogtying education in the 70's and then at SAT scores, I think you'll see a correlation.

Reasons:

Of course there should be a certain physical standard, but a soldier sitting at a computer operating a drone from thousands of miles away doesn't have to be hardened killing machine. War has changed drastically, and throwing bodies into a battlefield is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

As far as the ASVAB goes I somehow doubt it's the tech nerds who are having trouble passing it.
If that's the case just turn the drone program over to civilians.

Why is this a bad idea?

Because a civilian doesn't follow orders like a soldier.

It would make more sense to have gamers fight our wars for us. But then a gamer would be useless in a real firefight. That's what often happens in real wars. You have to be ready for any situation in war. If you're not, you're going get your ass handed to you.

We told you this was part of the reason Michelle Obama wanted kids to get off their fat asses and eat better. You guys cried about it and now cry about the inevitable results. Thats the republican way...Complain about the solution then complain about the results of fighting the solution
Actually Michelle 's program doesn't work because it's unrealistic. Cutting calories for growing children will only cause binge feeding on the side. The answer is physical fitness. But that part has been mostly forgotten. Some schools suggest dropping PE completely from the curriculum.

Actually Michelle 's program doesn't work because it's unrealistic. Cutting calories for growing children will only cause binge feeding on the side. The answer is physical fitness. But that part has been mostly forgotten. Some schools suggest dropping PE completely from the curriculum.

Your plan doesnt work because you dont have one...instead you defend the status quo and complain that every plan wont work.

Then you start a thread complaining about the results of being against every plan presented. Good job

Reasons:

If that's the case just turn the drone program over to civilians.

Why is this a bad idea?

Because a civilian doesn't follow orders like a soldier.

It would make more sense to have gamers fight our wars for us. But then a gamer would be useless in a real firefight. That's what often happens in real wars. You have to be ready for any situation in war. If you're not, you're going get your ass handed to you.

Or instead of turning the program over to civilians they can simply relax certain standards for those who will never be in a firefight. I understand what you mean about being prepared for every circumstance, but the reality is that there are many people in the military who will with 100% certainty never see a battle unless it's from behind a computer screen. The military seems to have maintained certain archaic standards in an age where it's not necessary in certain cases.

militaryservices.jpg

Just Not Smart Enough

Sorry.

Jeb Bush says only 35 to 40 percent pass military entrance exam
The most recent stats I could find on % of recruits passing the ASVAB (in general--each branch has its own "passing" scores--was around 23% FAIL it. That was based on numbers from 2010, around the same time as the study you quoted. Many more could not get in due to certain tatoos and piercings, and obestiy, or not having a HS diploma.
Common Core is not the problem, and Democrats are not the problem. Trying to educate all kids--with widely disparate IQ's, emotional functioning levels and unequal supports at home--in the same academic programs is a mistake. It has eaten a huge chunk of school budgets to complete massive paperwork and tracking systems for the least capable children in our communities.
Now, considering that these problem kids are the ones I've always liked working with the most, I'm not saying throw them in a room and ignore them 'til they're 18. But what one population can achieve is not what all can achieve. They should be in their own programs with a different set of goals, is all I'm saying, with teachers who are trained and motivated to work with that population. I understand the goals behind mainstreaming, and I agree with it philosophically, but in fact, it has brought down the performance level for all and taken a huge part of school budgets. That is at least a part of it.
I'll be hung by my thumbs for this, I know. But if you look at the federal legislation that began hogtying education in the 70's and then at SAT scores, I think you'll see a correlation.
The point being only the best should be allowed to serve. But the problem seems to be more our slipping standards of excellence. Getting a participation award doesn't encourage excellence by any standard. Keeping our kids locked up so they can't play for fear of being kidnapped or killed by perverts. Letting them play video games all day instead of running around burning calories. That's why our kids can't meet the standards required by the military. I passed everything with flying colors when it went in. I was considered officer material even though my math skills were lacking. Turns out I was exceptional, but I should have been the norm.

Cutting calories for growing children will only cause binge feeding on the side. The answer is physical fitness.

LOL...no it wont, eat better stuff and even if they eat more "on the side" its better than chips and soda. Plus you're saying the answer is physical fitness...which is Michelles plan....but you just objected to her plan and endorsed it at the same time

Forum List

Back