50 Books to Read Before You Die

problem is

we all like different topic and different ages

so

we can not say this book before you die or that book before you die

I haven't gotten around to watching the films yet, but figured I'd give em a try. Sometimes they're worse but sometimes they're better.

problem is

so

I don't think anyone is trying to force folks. Sometimes lists can be invaluable to someone looking to open the horizon of whatever, be it books, music etc. Try new things often. Even if you find it's not for you, it's a good habit.

problem is

so

I don't think anyone is trying to force folks. Sometimes lists can be invaluable to someone looking to open the horizon of whatever, be it books, music etc. Try new things often. Even if you find it's not for you, it's a good habit.

sure

but nevertheless

my book list is totally different from yours

problem is

so

If you go here, you will get several lists from various sources on what people think are the best books. The lists are usually complied through surveys of readers. No suggestion or encouragement to read any particular work, just information on what people consider good.

https://www.google.rs/search?dcr=0&...k1j0i67k1j0i20i263k1j33i160k1.185.271Yx0zWcxI

FaD70gIZnqpK03hJTrV0QK1c4iuLu6cwXaK7NRJf4Mg6fP1O3_Dh3iQ_BNFJsZrDjqPi4o2MbqGUepE20bXXzdc4ACKaQ7z_TuHx3bFL2tDwI5Bmsj0oO9-36w=w663-h498-p-k

A very interesting list. I’ve read 16 of the first 20 and a whole lot of the rest. How about you all?

Full list @ 50 Books To Read Before You Die | CashKaro

I read 100 years of solitude for school, and I didn't bother reading it much, just wrote what I had to write. So I went back to it last year, half way through I was like "stuff this" and stopped reading it. It's not that good.

The Count of Monte Cristo I felt was a very rubbish book too. The plot line isn't great, nothing about it is great.

Robin Hobb's books are so much better, and she doesn't get anywhere near. In her Farseer Trilogy she manages to subtly get the boy and wolf to resemble each other more and more over the course of the books and on into another trilogy, fantastic writing.
No one should tell anyonewhat they should read or need to read. Not adults anyway. In school, the teacher needs to assign a limited number of books and read them as a group because she/he just can't teach every student individually. But for your independent reading, choose your own books and read what pleases you.

Well, these lists are done for other reasons that telling others what to think or what to read. I look at such stuff to see what books I might like to read. I go onto one forum where people talk about books. Some of the books people say are excellent are horrible, others I've really enjoyed. Without this discussion I'd be lost.
Then the title shouldn't be "50 Books to Read Before You Die." It's saying you need to, you should read these books. It should say something like these are classics of English literature, check them out...written as a suggestion, not a directive.

If you take the title seriously, it's more your issue than an issue with the writer.

FaD70gIZnqpK03hJTrV0QK1c4iuLu6cwXaK7NRJf4Mg6fP1O3_Dh3iQ_BNFJsZrDjqPi4o2MbqGUepE20bXXzdc4ACKaQ7z_TuHx3bFL2tDwI5Bmsj0oO9-36w=w663-h498-p-k

A very interesting list. I’ve read 16 of the first 20 and a whole lot of the rest. How about you all?

I read 100 years of solitude for school, and I didn't bother reading it much, just wrote what I had to write. So I went back to it last year, half way through I was like "stuff this" and stopped reading it. It's not that good.

The Count of Monte Cristo I felt was a very rubbish book too. The plot line isn't great, nothing about it is great.

Robin Hobb's books are so much better, and she doesn't get anywhere near. In her Farseer Trilogy she manages to subtly get the boy and wolf to resemble each other more and more over the course of the books and on into another trilogy, fantastic writing.
No one should tell anyonewhat they should read or need to read. Not adults anyway. In school, the teacher needs to assign a limited number of books and read them as a group because she/he just can't teach every student individually. But for your independent reading, choose your own books and read what pleases you.

Well, these lists are done for other reasons that telling others what to think or what to read. I look at such stuff to see what books I might like to read. I go onto one forum where people talk about books. Some of the books people say are excellent are horrible, others I've really enjoyed. Without this discussion I'd be lost.
Then the title shouldn't be "50 Books to Read Before You Die." It's saying you need to, you should read these books. It should say something like these are classics of English literature, check them out...written as a suggestion, not a directive.

If you take the title seriously, it's more your issue than an issue with the writer.
:rolleyes:

Words are important. If you are a reader, you should know that.

Based on what the content of the list is in this OP, the title of the list should say, "Here are 50 books I like. I am not anyone special. It is just my opinion. These are just 50 books I think are very good." That would be honest. I am not blaming the OP. I am criticizing the person who wrote the list and the title he gave it.

Last edited:

Oh, no, how can you say that? I've read The Count of Monte Cristo well over 20 times! Admittedly, that was because I could never understand it and I got mad about that (not having been taught there was someone called Napoleon who did this takeover and then the Hundred Days and all --- never does Dumas ever mention Napoleon by name (doesn't have to, everyone French knew! American girls in the 20th century? Not so much.). Still, it's got something. All those movies: it must have something.

I started to read 100 years, boring, boring -- that "magical realism" stuff is just what you call normal fantasy if the writer lives in South America.

The Help? I do not do oh-the-poor-blacks books. Now they don't have maid jobs. Hope they're happy on welfare instead. I am so not interested. Do you all know that ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL book clubs persistently do all the oh-the-poor-blacks books one right after the other? They only have white women participants, of course. There are a bunch of them: The Help, The Secret Life of Bees, etc., etc. I say no, just no. It's racist against whites, really. They can do that on their own time.

Based on what the content of the list is in this OP, the title of the list should say, "Here are 50 books I like. I am not anyone special. It is just my opinion. These are just 50 books I think are very good." That would be honest. I am not blaming the OP. I am criticizing the person who wrote the list and the title he gave it.

The list author likely felt his title was no pressure but more interesting and captivating than just... Hey. List of books here.

I clicked on this thread because of the title. I seriously doubt I would have the other way.

Words DO matter

Last edited:

Words are important, but using your brain is also important. You can't just go "Oh, he said this" and believe that it means what you want it to mean.

Hitchhiker. Major religious work. I've read the whole thing over and over, have it leather-bound, as do many. The last volume, "Mostly Harmless" (that's what Ford Prefect's entry about Earth was cut down to) I cried over the title for most of a day.

Hey, it was a divorce. I did the same thing with the climb up in Inferno.

Yeah, yeah, I know it's funny. It's roll-on-the-floor funny.
It's still a major religious work. These things happen.

Oh, no, how can you say that? I've read The Count of Monte Cristo well over 20 times! Admittedly, that was because I could never understand it and I got mad about that (not having been taught there was someone called Napoleon who did this takeover and then the Hundred Days and all --- never does Dumas ever mention Napoleon by name (doesn't have to, everyone French knew! American girls in the 20th century? Not so much.). Still, it's got something. All those movies: it must have something.

I started to read 100 years, boring, boring -- that "magical realism" stuff is just what you call normal fantasy if the writer lives in South America.

The Help? I do not do oh-the-poor-blacks books. Now they don't have maid jobs. Hope they're happy on welfare instead. I am so not interested. Do you all know that ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL book clubs persistently do all the oh-the-poor-blacks books one right after the other? They only have white women participants, of course. There are a bunch of them: The Help, The Secret Life of Bees, etc., etc. I say no, just no. It's racist against whites, really. They can do that on their own time.

WOW, Circe! can't even post on a literary thread without racist comments? Considered starting your own thread under Race?

It's like a kid's book, the plot is so..... zzzzz

Well, you like it which is good, it's just not my thing.

I've not read any of those books you're talking about in the last paragraph, again, not my thing. I don't like cliches all over the place. I started a Dean Koonz book and was like "these characters are about as believable as Donald Trump"

WOW, Circe! can't even post on a literary thread without racist comments? Considered starting your own thread under Race?

Didn't look like a racist comment to me.

Ok, I am out voted. Blacks are happy on welfare now~~~~ (sigh)

Ok, I am out voted. Blacks are happy on welfare now~~~~ (sigh)

Yes, sigh.... you're trying to turn this into what it isn't. Someone says they don't like a type of book and you have to make it political. Sigh.

I've read all of them (well, duh! Who hasn't, a lot of them!!)
Except these:

Color Purple. More blacks-behaving-badly stuff. I saw the TV thing, part of it. Just ---no.
Godfather. That was a BOOK???? Who knew? No Marlon Brando, you had to imagine him??
Delirium. What? Never heard of it.
Age of Innocence. I read Turn of the Screw, more than once, and have seen all the movies. And that's all Henry James gets of me, and that's that.
Norwegian Wood --- sounds foreign. Not of interest.
God of Small Things. Sounds VERRRRY foreign. SERIOUSLY not of interest. Could we go back to things written by, you know, people born speaking English?? Just asking.
Requiem for a Dream. Never heard of it. If I haven't heard of a book by now, that is not a good sign for the book, frankly. This guy needs suggestions, he should come to me. No, maybe not. Sounds PC and he'll have to do that himself.

Forum List

Back