5 things women couldn't do in the 60s

The feminist movement of the 1960s and '70s originally focused on dismantling workplace inequality, such as denial of access to better jobs and salary inequity, via anti-discrimination laws. In 1964, Representative Howard Smith of Virginia proposed to add a prohibition on gender discrimination into the Civil Rights Act that was under consideration. He was greeted by laughter from the other Congressmen

Now Ivy League education screws the graduate with a half mil in debt, so women might be lucky to be exclude.

This is very clearly putting a damper on marriage and family formation. More women than men graduate with utterly fucking useless degrees in sociology or art history and many women are very reluctant to get married and take on the responsibility for paying down the student loan debt of their wife.

The only one if those which shouldn't be revoked is the birth control one.

Surely you are not saying that women should not be able to get birth control.

===

A family member tells of going into the hospital to get a hysterectomy in the early 70s and having the admissions clerk tell her she needed her husband's signature. When she told them she wasn't married, they told her that her father's or older brother's signature would do.

She refused and demanded her doctor be called. The doctor told the admissions clerk SHE would take responsibility for the surgery on the okay of the patient's signature alone. Yep, a woman surgeon who, if I remember correctly, was from Germany or trained in Germany.

After the surgery, she said there was a nurse who harassed her, told her she had gone against god's will.

That was the early 70s. Reading this board indicates that not all who post here live in the 21st century.

Yeah. These sentimental types forget that society was shit in the past.

1. Get a credit card: In the 1960s, a bank could refuse to issue a credit card to an unmarried woman; even if she was married, her husband was required to cosign. As recently as the 1970s, credit cards in many cases were issued with only a husband's signature. It was not until the Equal Credit Opportunity Act of 1974 that it became illegal to refuse a credit card to a woman based on her gender.

This one needs to go back in place, but with a twist. You ever see a women shop! Ouch! :badgrin:

In reality you can thank the credit bureaus for this change. Basically the credit bureaus treat everyone the same regardless of race, religion or gender!
A woman might have had a problem getting a credit card issued by a bank, but she was certainly able to get a credit card issued by a department store. I remember my mom having one of those, even though she did not have a job other than staying home and taking care of my dad and me.
There is a museum that has an exhibit of credit cards that were issued by department stores. Many of the cards that they display were issued to women. See http://departmentstoremuseum.blogspot.com/2010/11/charge-cards.html

Last edited:
Wimmen were holding public office BEFORE the Great Society. Wimmen, while not deployed to the War we're Transport Pilots (WASP's) and they Ferried Bombers and Fighters around.

It's not a New Thing. Democrats didn't "Free the Oppressed Female American Slaves". Do yerselves a favor top watching MSNBC.

And Credit Cards? Tell us, how many people male OR female could even QUALIFY for a credit card in the 60's? Banking Laws were different back then.

"Wimmen"?

Why was there an effort to pass the Equal Rights Amendment, and why was the GOP and conservative set lockstep against it?

Last edited:
The only one if those which shouldn't be revoked is the birth control one.

Surely you are not saying that women should not be able to get birth control.

===

A family member tells of going into the hospital to get a hysterectomy in the early 70s and having the admissions clerk tell her she needed her husband's signature. When she told them she wasn't married, they told her that her father's or older brother's signature would do.

She refused and demanded her doctor be called. The doctor told the admissions clerk SHE would take responsibility for the surgery on the okay of the patient's signature alone. Yep, a woman surgeon who, if I remember correctly, was from Germany or trained in Germany.

After the surgery, she said there was a nurse who harassed her, told her she had gone against god's will.

That was the early 70s. Reading this board indicates that not all who post here live in the 21st century.

You completely made this up. My aunt had a hysterectomy in 1974. The only signature required was hers.

That said, it's LEFT is the one trying to sell the 1950s as some golden age.

Last edited:
Wimmen were holding public office BEFORE the Great Society. Wimmen, while not deployed to the War we're Transport Pilots (WASP's) and they Ferried Bombers and Fighters around.

It's not a New Thing. Democrats didn't "Free the Oppressed Female American Slaves". Do yerselves a favor top watching MSNBC.

And Credit Cards? Tell us, how many people male OR female could even QUALIFY for a credit card in the 60's? Banking Laws were different back then.

"Wimmen"?

Why was there an effort to pass the Equal Rights Amendment, and why was the GOP and conservative set lockstep against it?

You are incorrect:

In the early 1940s, the Republican Party and then the Democratic Party added support of the Equal Rights Amendment to their platforms. Alice Paul rewrote the ERA in 1943 to what is now called the "Alice Paul Amendment," reflecting the 15th and the 19th Amendments: "Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex." But the labor movement was still committed to protective workplace laws, and social conservatives considered equal rights for women a threat to the existing power structure.

ERA: History

The "social conservatives" were Democrats of course.

5 things women couldn't do in the 1960s - CNN.com

1. Get a credit card: In the 1960s, a bank could refuse to issue a credit card to an unmarried woman; even if she was married, her husband was required to cosign. As recently as the 1970s, credit cards in many cases were issued with only a husband's signature. It was not until the Equal Credit Opportunity Act of 1974 that it became illegal to refuse a credit card to a woman based on her gender.

2. Serve on a jury: The main reason women were kept out of jury pools was that they were considered the center of the home, which was their primary responsibility as caregivers. They were also thought to be too fragile to hear the grisly details of crimes and too sympathetic by nature to be able to remain objective about those accused of offenses. In 1961, the Supreme Court unanimously upheld a Florida law that exempted women from serving on juries. It wasn't until 1973 that women could serve on juries in all 50 states

3. Go on the birth control pill: Issues like reproductive freedom and a woman's right to decide when and whether to have children were only just beginning to be openly discussed in the 1960s. In 1957, the FDA approved of the birth control pill but only for "severe menstrual distress." In 1960, the pill was approved for use as a contraceptive. Even so, the pill was illegal in some states and could be prescribed only to married women for purposes of family planning

4. Get an Ivy League education:

Yale and Princeton didn't accept female students until 1969. Harvard didn't admit women until 1977

5. Experience equality in the workplace: Kennedy's Commission on the Status of Women produced a report in 1963 that revealed, among other things, that women earned 59 cents for every dollar that men earned and were kept out of the more lucrative professional positions. When the 1964 Civil Rights Act was going through Congress, an amendment made it illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender as well as race. When the amendment was not taken seriously regarding women in the workplace, the National Organization of Women was founded to enforce full equality for women in truly equal partnership with men.

1. Funny thing, the fact that banks could do something does not mean they always did it. On top of that, stores never had a problem issuing cards to women. I guess that makes this an outright lie.
  2. Another outright lie. By the end of the 1960s every single state allowed women on juries. In fact, California allowed women on juries since the 1940s. H-Net Reviews
  3. So they couldn't go on birth control, except they actually could.
  4. Funny, Harvard graduated 12 women from medical school in 1949. Is it possible that this is another lie? Yes.
  5. I won't bother to debunk this claim, I think I made my point.
This entire thread is based on lies, just like everything else about the war on women.

Show me where, specifically.

I'm not a Republican (I'm a Conservative) but I definitely want to do it.

The birth control pill is, in my estimation, the most world-changing invention in the last 50 years.

American society cannot sustain itself any longer because of the behavioral changes which are made possible by the pill.

The mission of a society should be to grow, not to whither and die.

The birth control pill is, in my estimation, the most world-changing invention in the last 50 years.

American society cannot sustain itself any longer because of the behavioral changes which are made possible by the pill.

That sounds darn close to plagiarism:

Godwin's Law Review: The Dangers of Contraception

That sounds darn close to plagiarism:

Godwin's Law Review: The Dangers of Contraception

You're a moron.

It was world changing. Before the pill, most women had 4-6 children. It allowed women more control of their life

Forum List

Back