5 things women couldn't do in the 60s

5 things women couldn't do in the 1960s - CNN.com

1. Get a credit card: In the 1960s, a bank could refuse to issue a credit card to an unmarried woman; even if she was married, her husband was required to cosign. As recently as the 1970s, credit cards in many cases were issued with only a husband's signature. It was not until the Equal Credit Opportunity Act of 1974 that it became illegal to refuse a credit card to a woman based on her gender.

2. Serve on a jury: The main reason women were kept out of jury pools was that they were considered the center of the home, which was their primary responsibility as caregivers. They were also thought to be too fragile to hear the grisly details of crimes and too sympathetic by nature to be able to remain objective about those accused of offenses. In 1961, the Supreme Court unanimously upheld a Florida law that exempted women from serving on juries. It wasn't until 1973 that women could serve on juries in all 50 states

3. Go on the birth control pill: Issues like reproductive freedom and a woman's right to decide when and whether to have children were only just beginning to be openly discussed in the 1960s. In 1957, the FDA approved of the birth control pill but only for "severe menstrual distress." In 1960, the pill was approved for use as a contraceptive. Even so, the pill was illegal in some states and could be prescribed only to married women for purposes of family planning

4. Get an Ivy League education:

Yale and Princeton didn't accept female students until 1969. Harvard didn't admit women until 1977

5. Experience equality in the workplace: Kennedy's Commission on the Status of Women produced a report in 1963 that revealed, among other things, that women earned 59 cents for every dollar that men earned and were kept out of the more lucrative professional positions. When the 1964 Civil Rights Act was going through Congress, an amendment made it illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender as well as race. When the amendment was not taken seriously regarding women in the workplace, the National Organization of Women was founded to enforce full equality for women in truly equal partnership with men.

1. Funny thing, the fact that banks could do something does not mean they always did it. On top of that, stores never had a problem issuing cards to women. I guess that makes this an outright lie.
  2. Another outright lie. By the end of the 1960s every single state allowed women on juries. In fact, California allowed women on juries since the 1940s. H-Net Reviews
  3. So they couldn't go on birth control, except they actually could.
  4. Funny, Harvard graduated 12 women from medical school in 1949. Is it possible that this is another lie? Yes.
  5. I won't bother to debunk this claim, I think I made my point.
This entire thread is based on lies, just like everything else about the war on women.

Actually, you didn't. You point out some unsubstantiated outliers that do nothing to disprove the fact that prior to the women's movement, women were restricted to certain roles in our society

The only one if those which shouldn't be revoked is the birth control one.

Surely you are not saying that women should not be able to get birth control.

===

A family member tells of going into the hospital to get a hysterectomy in the early 70s and having the admissions clerk tell her she needed her husband's signature. When she told them she wasn't married, they told her that her father's or older brother's signature would do.

She refused and demanded her doctor be called. The doctor told the admissions clerk SHE would take responsibility for the surgery on the okay of the patient's signature alone. Yep, a woman surgeon who, if I remember correctly, was from Germany or trained in Germany.

After the surgery, she said there was a nurse who harassed her, told her she had gone against god's will.

That was the early 70s. Reading this board indicates that not all who post here live in the 21st century.

You completely made this up. My aunt had a hysterectomy in 1974. The only signature required was hers.

That said, it's LEFT is the one trying to sell the 1950s as some golden age.

Nope. Its true.

Its certainly true that doctors used to hand out hysterectomies like they were M&Ms but the answer to this lies in the reasons the two women had the surgery. My bet is that your aunt's doctor ordered her surgery for "medical" reasons. The woman I know had it as a permanent form of birth control. She never wanted to get pregnant or have children.

As much as men want to control women's reproduction now, it was a lot worse then.

I'm not a Republican (I'm a Conservative) but I definitely want to do it.

The birth control pill is, in my estimation, the most world-changing invention in the last 50 years.

American society cannot sustain itself any longer because of the behavioral changes which are made possible by the pill.

The mission of a society should be to grow, not to whither and die.

It was world changing. Before the pill, most women had 4-6 children. It allowed women more control of their life

Yet more children now more than any other time in history are born out if wedlock. 3/4 of black babies are born out if wedlock!

Not to say I am against the pill! I think it's a great invention and it saved me a few times. I don't get why people are against the pill or say think like we are running out of people! In 1900 the world population was 1.7 bil, now it is 7.1 bil and projected to exceed 8 bil before 2025!

Last edited:

1. Get a credit card: In the 1960s, a bank could refuse to issue a credit card to an unmarried woman; even if she was married, her husband was required to cosign. As recently as the 1970s, credit cards in many cases were issued with only a husband's signature. It was not until the Equal Credit Opportunity Act of 1974 that it became illegal to refuse a credit card to a woman based on her gender.

2. Serve on a jury: The main reason women were kept out of jury pools was that they were considered the center of the home, which was their primary responsibility as caregivers. They were also thought to be too fragile to hear the grisly details of crimes and too sympathetic by nature to be able to remain objective about those accused of offenses. In 1961, the Supreme Court unanimously upheld a Florida law that exempted women from serving on juries. It wasn't until 1973 that women could serve on juries in all 50 states

3. Go on the birth control pill: Issues like reproductive freedom and a woman's right to decide when and whether to have children were only just beginning to be openly discussed in the 1960s. In 1957, the FDA approved of the birth control pill but only for "severe menstrual distress." In 1960, the pill was approved for use as a contraceptive. Even so, the pill was illegal in some states and could be prescribed only to married women for purposes of family planning

Yale and Princeton didn't accept female students until 1969. Harvard didn't admit women until 1977

5. Experience equality in the workplace: Kennedy's Commission on the Status of Women produced a report in 1963 that revealed, among other things, that women earned 59 cents for every dollar that men earned and were kept out of the more lucrative professional positions. When the 1964 Civil Rights Act was going through Congress, an amendment made it illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender as well as race. When the amendment was not taken seriously regarding women in the workplace, the National Organization of Women was founded to enforce full equality for women in truly equal partnership with men.

Of course, in the 60's, the US put a man on the moon.

Thanks to the vision of a liberal like JFK. Today we can detect planets around other stars

They also could not get a loan at a bank, an account at the local electric/water company..or become a deacon or preacher...

Of course, in the 60's, the US put a man on the moon.

Thanks to the vision of a liberal like JFK. Today we can detect planets around other stars

But JFK died, how could he find planets around stars?

The birth control pill is, in my estimation, the most world-changing invention in the last 50 years.

American society cannot sustain itself any longer because of the behavioral changes which are made possible by the pill.

It was world changing. Before the pill, most women had 4-6 children. It allowed women more control of their life

That's what some RWs are against - women controlling their own reproduction. If they had their way, women would be treated like brood sows.

gestation-crates1.png

Show me where, specifically.

Nonsense.

The American society is not going to 'whither and die,' such a notion is paranoid and delusional.

What stunned you the most about this doc so far? Film of JFK answering if he's done enough for women andi n his answer saying "...women's primary role is in the home." or to that effect.

And Repubs are wanting to take away women's rights, starting with birth control.

Show me where, specifically.

Here:

The Supreme Court decided Tuesday not to review a ruling by Oklahoma’s highest court that requiring women to undergo a narrated ultrasound exam before obtaining an abortion is unconstitutional.

The decision marks the second time this month that the nation’s highest court has declined to take up a challenge to the Oklahoma Supreme Court’s rulings on abortion. On Nov. 4, the court opted not to review a decision by the state’s high court that a major portion of Oklahoma’s *restrictive abortion law is unconstitutional because it effectively bans all drug-induced abortions.

Supreme Court lets stand an Oklahoma ruling that a state abortion law is unconstitutional - The Washington Post
This un-Constitutional measure was introduced by Oklahoma State Senator Brian Crain, one of many republicans hostile to the privacy rights of women. And there are many other republican lawmakers seeking to likewise take away the rights of women.

I had to witness first hand the censorship and tyrant environments of men towards women during the 1960's. I knew of little old ladies that were never even allowed to drive a car, much less keep on operating after the man died...and kids were nothing more than free laborers and whipping posts...

Last edited:

That's what some RWs are against - women controlling their own reproduction. If they had their way, women would be treated like brood sows.

gestation-crates1.png

How else you gonna make them soft and tender?? The pigs I mean...

you left out kill babies

wasn't that a conservative congress that put through the civil rights act?

you left out kill babies

wasn't that a conservative congress that put through the civil rights act?

Abortion has been a hot topic since the ancient Greeks, nothing new...

yea, if you go back to the 1800's when large families were necessary to run the household and farms. at the start of the last century the average number of kids was a little over two. that number only bumped up again after WWII with the onset of the boomers and maxed out at like three and a half. the rise was due more to economic prosperity than lack of birth control. the numbers we see today existed 60 years before birth control ever existed. the drop today is in large part to economic decline as well. people can't afford to have kids.

we have come along way

that is why it is a real puzzle why

the left would support the likes of Hamas

Forum List

Back