5.1 Earthquake in Northern California

He may be right, okfine. I was looking too hard for information when I ran across a claim of a 6.2 earthquake near the area. The error is mine, and I own it with my apologies. I need to change the title back to the 5.1 correct usgs measurement.
You think your as funny as the hick now, do you?

Too bad. Just a lil' shake.
Amazing to me. I remember a 3.5 from somewhere near Reelfoot (part of the New Madrid fault zone, that formed Reelfoot Lake back in 1811-1812) when I was a kid in the mid 1960s, felt all the way from southern Tennessee, up through southern Illinois and eastern Arkansas. I was in Paducah, Ky, outside at the time feeling it, hearing the sound come and go, watching telephone poles shake. Fascinating. The only one I have ever felt in my life, and I am 68, now. That was just a 3.5.

You western states people, especially in California (the most seismically active state in the country), yawn and stretch at a 5.1 as if it is nothing. That is the difference when you grow up with it, not just read and hear about it. Not bad, guys.

Last edited:
You western states people, especially in California (the most seismically active state in the country), yawn and stretch at a 5.1 as if it is nothing. That is the difference when you grow up with it, not just read and hear about it.
Yeah, wasn't worth me starting a thread on it when it hit home this morning, and I'm fairly close to the epicenter.

Maybe around a magnitude 5.9 or above, I may have. 🤔

Yeah, wasn't worth me starting a thread on it when it hit home this morning, and I'm fairly close to the epicenter.

Maybe around a magnitude 5.9 or above, I may have. 🤔
That is pretty cool. How long does it take newcomers to your state to get used to ground shake, a few times, a year? Do you guys give them hell, until they blow it off, in California style?

That is pretty cool. How long does it take newcomers to your state to get used to ground shake, a few times, a year? Do you guys give them hell, until they blow it off, in California style?
I've known people who have gotten freaked out over a magnitude 4 or lesser. A few were quick to leave the state after that.

Us natives laugh it off. :113:

When it hits 7.5 or 8 then we can start talking....before that it's ....well not worth talking about!

ok now kill me.

With all due respect, San Jose is not Northern CA.
Gabe, I lived in California for 5 years after graduating from high school. There are really good people in the state, who believe in God and act accordingly. It's just that good, solid people usually work and live quietly. The Hollywood set plays by its own set of rules, with mixed results. There are some very, very responsible thespians in California. Ronald Reagan comes to mind. It's just that most of the good people don't make shocking headlines when they spend their lives doing good to others and working in their gardens so their neighbors will be blessed with having something amazingly good to look at for free. God bless those in California who stand up for what's good and right, and may he protect them from people who spread diseases by smearing cop cars with poop, defunding the police, and using government office for personal gain, and not for the good of all the people in the state, or perpetrate "optional truth" as a solution rather than real tried and true in their lives as a discipline. Some of the actors who act the worst when they are young, come to a reckoning of it's better to do good to others, come what may, more than anything else.
Most of CA is geographically rural with conservative values. LA and SF give CA a bad name.

5.1 ain't that bad. I went through the '89 one that was 6.9. That was a real shaker!! I live in Far Northern CA now up by the 'dormant' volcanoes. If we get the 'big one' here, they'll start blowing their tops!! If you drive up here in the rural mountains, you'll see fields and fields of huge boulders and lava rocks strewn for hundreds of miles from the one hundreds of years ago that blew up Mt. Tehama and created Lassen Peak and Lassen Park where you can still see active steam vents.

Last edited:
With all due respect, San Jose is not Northern CA.

Most of CA is geographically rural with conservative values. LA and SF give CA a bad name.
Residents of San Jose (part of the San Francisco Bay Area) would definitely say Northern CA (we're certainly not Southern CA). We're not Redding / Shasta North, but north enough.

Perhaps we'd also claim Central CA, but most sports and gang rivalries (and some politics, see the Peripheral Canal debate) are divided into the north vs. south binary.

Forum List

Back