40,000 want this pit bull to live? I don't get it?

It wasn't the dog's fault. The kid took his bone. The kid may have done it before. The dog shouldn't die because it was the victim of theft.

Good family pets won't maul children that take their bone. When a dog reverts back to its wild and unpredictable roots it should be removed from the family home or from neighborhoods with lots of kids.

Does that mean that it should be put down? Not necessarily. If it could be removed to a more rural area where there are no little children then that could be an option.

do you think it is not cruel to force a short haired dog out in the bitter cold?

No it's not cruel. If you're concerned about it being cold while its out doing its business there are products out there to help with that i.e. doggy sweaters.

What's the alternative? Allow them to do their business inside?

thor does not have those type of accidents....he is housebroken totally....good gosh have you ever seen a doberman dump...its like a small horse?

It wasn't the dog's fault. The kid took his bone. The kid may have done it before. The dog shouldn't die because it was the victim of theft.

Good family pets won't maul children that take their bone. When a dog reverts back to its wild and unpredictable roots it should be removed from the family home or from neighborhoods with lots of kids.

Does that mean that it should be put down? Not necessarily. If it could be removed to a more rural area where there are no little children then that could be an option.

no. you cannot make a dog like this someone else's problem....once a dog crosses that line of biting a child.....it must be put down....the pictures of the child show the aggressiveness of the attack

The dog is not dangerous. When this kid grows up he'll be stealing cars not bones. That's dangerous. The dog did not bite without reason. It was protecting it's property. Teach children early to respect others.

You must not know much about dogs. Trust me. The dog is dangerous if it attacks a 4 year old. The dog has not been properly socialized or taught on who or what it can take out its aggression on.

And you can train a dog not to bite in that situation. Even one that's transgressed.

bullshit to you and your courses...first thing i train my dobermans to do...is 'give' that command means to open your mouth...simple as that...i can take food out of my dogs mouth or bowl...and the dog should not attack anything belonging to the pack leader

if my thor attacked a child....as much as i would hate too.....i would have him put down...simple as that...

coyote is right....biting is not a natural behavior for a dog...even biting a child is not natural but to flat out go on attack...the pictures show this was a true attack and not a quick warning snap

Dogs will bite if someone tries to take their food or something else that the dog considers theirs

only if the owner allows it to do so

Not dogs that are properly conditioned. I can take food out the mouths of any of my dogs and they won't so much as growl. They do look at me funny, like WTF?

--LOL exactly

the owner (you) would have never allowed it

owner in (i) would never allow the behavior

our dogs over the years grew up accustomed to folks messing with

their food and toys starting at day one so it was no big deal

Not dogs that are properly conditioned. I can take food out the mouths of any of my dogs and they won't so much as growl. They do look at me funny, like WTF?
Yep. If your dog growls at that something is seriously wrong. I can take away food, toys, bones, etc. at any time. They don't just obey but I believe they trust my judgement. I know some dog folks would argue with that and think dogs are mearly acting out of conditioned responses but I find those people to be very limited themselves.

do you think it is not cruel to force a short haired dog out in the bitter cold?

No it's not cruel. If you're concerned about it being cold while its out doing its business there are products out there to help with that i.e. doggy sweaters.

What's the alternative? Allow them to do their business inside?

thor does not have those type of accidents....he is housebroken totally....good gosh have you ever seen a doberman dump...its like a small horse?

Thor may be housebroken but he, like every dog, at one point he has to relieve himself. You saying he won't go outside implies that he does his business inside.

Is the dog supposed to shit and piss in the house?

When my dog was dying and could barely walk, I sat with her and slept with her 24/7, and helped her, an 80 pound dog, get up and go outside to go to the toilet. One time when I was in the shower, she got up herself, how I can't imagine, and dragged herself to the front door, and waited for me to open it for her. When I got out of the shower and checked on her, there she was, waiting patiently at the door to be let out.

My dog would have gone outside to do her toilet, no matter how cold. She was a good dog, a well trained dog. And she would never have bitten me. If you have a well trained dog, you don't have to worry about such things. And you don't beat them into submission at any time. The problem with pits is that they are unpredictable, and when they lose it, they maim and kill.

Is the dog supposed to shit and piss in the house?

When my dog was dying and could barely walk, I sat with her and slept with her 24/7, and helped her, an 80 pound dog, get up and go outside to go to the toilet. One time when I was in the shower, she got up herself, how I can't imagine, and dragged herself to the front door, and waited for me to open it for her. When I got out of the shower and checked on her, there she was, waiting patiently at the door to be let out.

My dog would have gone outside to do her toilet, no matter how cold. She was a good dog, a well trained dog. And she would never have bitten me. If you have a well trained dog, you don't have to worry about such things. And you don't beat them into submission at any time. The problem with pits is that they are unpredictable, and when they lose it, they maim and kill.

ringo our chow would rather die then crap in the house

sometimes though she looks at the cat bewildered

on how the cat mastered the peoples toilet

--LOL

Dogs will bite if someone tries to take their food or something else that the dog considers theirs

--LOL exactly

Every dog I've raised, even if it was going to be an outside dog was raised for the first 6 months inside the house with my wife and kids and I would recommend this practice to anyone who has children and plans on getting a dog.

A dog serves at the pleasure of his master, not vice versa.

i hope you are joking !!

a 4 y.o., boy does not have the experience to not know that was something he should NOT have done, the dog should have been taught to not attack children. :up:

Not the dog's fault. Was simply reacting on instinct. Could have just as easily been any other larger-breed dog resulting in the exact same result. Singling out pits because the public's ignorant about dogs and behaviour (especially their own) isn't fair.

I owe my life to a dog, a collie who when as a mobile-toddler fell into my grandparent's fish pond with no adults around. Evidently (I'm told) I would have drowned if not for the out-of-character alert-barking of the collie. I've since made it a point to learn about dogs and other animals. And I can tell ya, there's no such thing as a evil dog.

"Not the dog's fault. Was simply reacting on instinct." - - - It's not the snake's fault when it bites person either.

You may owe your life to a dog, but some kids gave their lives because of dogs. Let us not confuse the issue here. The fact is there are thousands of dangerous pit bulls who could be easily enough provoked to attack and horribly maim a child or some who could not defend themselves, or kill them. 23 of 38 who died in 2012 from dog attacks were pit bulls. As long as we cannot tell which ones will and which ones will not then I say pit bulls should be illegal to have in neighborhoods. Grandfather in the current ones, but that's it. No child should be at risk of losing its life over this. Evil or dangerous, what difference does it make to a victim?

Deaths by dog attacks are very very rare.

The public's ability to accurately identify a dog by breed is also suspect.

A child is many times more likely to lose his life by automobile.

Let's ban automobiles shall we?:doubt:

no, but they can be send to jail...or punish any other way. :mad:

So should this pit bull be euthanized? Or what do you do with it?

Like I said, parents should be held responsible for the safety of their children. Parents not dogs.

If parents want to blame the dog to make themselves feel better thats another story... but at the end of the day it's the parents who are the guilty party.

I love dogs...but I can't totally agree here. It's a split responsibility.

If you know you have a potentially dangerous dog, you have a resonsibility to the public and to your dog - to keep both safe from each other. Chaining a dog that has been known to have already acted aggressively (killing another dog) is absolutely irresponsible and unfair to that dog.

I have two dogs that are not good or trustworthy with small children. I do everything in my power to make sure they are supervised and controled (or avoid) situations where they are around children. Those dogs are my responsibility and protecting their lives is my responsibility.

If I've done everything to make sure my dog is safe, and within a properly fenced yard - then I've met my responsibility to the public and it falls entirely on the parents.

But there is another issue here -- if you have a dog that killed another dog -- would you keep it? I would struggle with that.

If you have a dog that severely mauled a person - any person - would you keep it?

Remember Ian Dunbar's scale of dog bites. Many dogs guard resources or will bite to protect property, but the vast majority to not go as far as this dog did. Would you keep or want to keep such a dog?

I don't think I would (and I hope I am never in that situation to decide). While the parents can and should be held responsible - a 4 yr old isn't and he will be deeply scarred for life. When it comes to children, accidents happen - a child gets out of site, wanders off., etc. Would you want to have a mauling on your conscience?

That is why I do not understand such a rush to "save" this particular dog. There are countless incidents of far lesser dog bites where saving the dog could be justified. In addition - there are literally thousands of pitbulls and pitbull mixes being euthanized in shelters that have done NOTHING wrong, have no temperment issues they're just surplus. I wish these people fighting for this one dog who seems dangerous, would direct their energies on those dogs.

There is a huge difference between a dog bite and a dog ripping a child's face off. As well, these dogs routinely maul and kill young children. Rare? Not so much. It's like saying, only a few kids die by accidental firearms incidents, so we shouldn't ban guns. What is wrong with people? Are our children, the most vulnerable and innocent in our society, supposed to be chalked up to collateral damage because fools feel they need to have brutal dogs and toys designed to kill?

--LOL exactly

Yup, you start as puppies. I have 4 dogs - 2 were raised from puppies (one by me, one by a close friend) - I can take anything from them. The third, I had to work with but can now do so. The fourth, I am still working with. He came to me as an adult stray and will growl and retreat into his crate if it's a high value item. In all other ways he is an extremely submissive dog, so it's not a ranking issue, it's a resource issue. But -he gives plenty of warning, retreats and avoids. If cornered and forced, would he bite? Possibly. Thus, he's a work in progress. I opted to keep him rather than place him because I would not want to see him in a situation where he could end up biting. The dog always loses in the end :(

Not the dog's fault. Was simply reacting on instinct. Could have just as easily been any other larger-breed dog resulting in the exact same result. Singling out pits because the public's ignorant about dogs and behaviour (especially their own) isn't fair.

I owe my life to a dog, a collie who when as a mobile-toddler fell into my grandparent's fish pond with no adults around. Evidently (I'm told) I would have drowned if not for the out-of-character alert-barking of the collie. I've since made it a point to learn about dogs and other animals. And I can tell ya, there's no such thing as a evil dog.

Great story. I love dogs. There may not be such a thing as an evil dog but their are some that are mentally insane. i've seen plenty. People then go and breed these dogs passing on the mental defect. SMFH

I forgot to add that Chows are truly evil!!!

I had a Chow/Cocker Spaniel mix growing up. Meanest, craziest damn dog I ever had. He would bite whoever or whatever he could. On top of that we named him Mister. Bad mistake. The mailman would get ambushed by the dog and be trying to get away and here we would be yelling; Mister, Mister get back here. Of course when the mailman heard someone yelling "Mister", he would pause and the dog would catch up with him again.

It got so that I think that dog liked getting maced. He was crazy.

Jumped a fence to fight a neighbors dog, with a muzzle on. Tore that dog up. I forget how much the vet bills were. And Mister had a full muzzle on. Got a hold of that dogs ear and never let go.

Mean ass dog those Chows are. Along with some crazy inbred Cocker Spaniel. That is a bad combination of dog.

You want to try a bad combo try a rottie/chow mix! Big huge aggressive evil dog. Someone tricked my wife into taking it home. I tried to get her to take it back the minute I saw it had chow in it. At the time it was a fluffy red ball. He grew into this massive red rottie looking dog with a heavy chow coat. Luckily he was more rottie in mentality than chow but he did have his chow moments. I did not trust him around strangers without me being around. I would not have kept him if he wasnt my wifes dog to be honest. You could see that strangers, children or otherwise, irritated him. He would always look at me to get his cue and only suffered strange children petting him. He was a good dog otherwise but made me nervous as hell.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back