40,000 want this pit bull to live? I don't get it?

All pitbulls should be eliminated. The entire breed should be eliminated. Wiped off the face of the planet. That goes for sharks too.

Pits are incredibly gifted, loving, and intelligent dogs. I have been around a lot of different breeds of dogs and to this day pits are my number 1 breed. You want the ultimate protector for your children/family get yourself a pit.

Edit.....

Make sure you know about pits before you get one. Make sure you are in shape. Make sure you train it starting from day 1 as a puppy. Make sure it meets and is petted by plenty of people, especially children so it is confident and comfortable around them. Dont fall for the hype about them having the ability to lock their jaws. Science has proven otherwise.

Last edited:
All pitbulls should be eliminated. The entire breed should be eliminated. Wiped off the face of the planet. That goes for sharks too.

Pits are incredibly gifted, loving, and intelligent dogs. I have been around a lot of different breeds of dogs and to this day pits are my number 1 breed. You want the ultimate protector for your children/family get yourself a pit.

Edit.....

Make sure you know about pits before you get one. Make sure you are in shape. Make sure you train it starting from day 1 as a puppy. Make sure it meets and is petted by plenty of people, especially children so it is confident and comfortable around them. Dont fall for the hype about them having the ability to lock their jaws. Science has proven otherwise.

Most Pits I know are lousy protectors. My friend, who runs a rescue and takes a lot of pits says her's might lift a head from the couch at an intruder but would rather not interrupt their snooze on the couch :)

Edit.....

Most Pits I know are lousy protectors. My friend, who runs a rescue and takes a lot of pits says her's might lift a head from the couch at an intruder but would rather not interrupt their snooze on the couch :)

With most pits you have to protection train them to attack on command. However, most dogs are able to determine if there is really an issue meriting attack or not. Pits are particularly adept at figuring out if there is real danger afoot. Sounds like you friend has some confident pits.

Edit.....

With most pits you have to protection train them to attack on command. However, most dogs are able to determine if there is really an issue meriting attack or not. Pits are particularly adept at figuring out if there is real danger afoot. Sounds like you friend has some confident pits.

She does, she's also a very confident leader :)

the key is new owners.....all of those dogs are head strong....simple as that...well the english may just be a wee bit on the slow side...plus they are strong...

the key is new owners.....all of those dogs are head strong....simple as that...well the english may just be a wee bit on the slow side...plus they are strong...

I wonder why the Dobie was not on the list? Those dogs spook the hell out of me. You can see their brains working on how to outsmart you. i was surprised about the American Bulldogs being on the list.

Last edited:
Weiner dogs are the worst.

o hell no....i had them the whole time i was growing up.....now they will bite and they dont really care for kids...but other than that..they are great dogs

Here is an interesting and appears to be well researched and considered list of the 15 worst breeds of dogs for new pet owners. Weiner dog is not on the list. They look harmless to me.

Survey: 15 Dog Breeds New Pet Owners Should Avoid

They didn't say "worst" - they said most challenging, and that doesn't necessarily translate into aggressive or dangerous, but breeds that aren't generally "beginner dogs". I agree with the assessment. My choice is working and herding breeds and I will be the first to say Aussies, BC's and GSD's are not "novice" dogs - they are easy to screw up and end up in rescues far too often for exhibiting the traits they were bred for.

Did you see what they said about the Pitbull?

Honorable Mention: American Pit Bull Terrier

Although the received enough votes for this category to land a place at the bottom of this list, he also earned a significant number of votes as the best breed for new owners, which canceled out enough of the negative votes to knock him out of the running.

He looks formidable and has historically been used in dog fighting rings, giving him a frightening reputation, but over the last few decades, he's been bred to love and accept people. In the right home, he's a devoted and loyal companion (although he can have conflicts with other dogs or with cats). But as with many dogs bred for strength, a mistreated Pit can be a problem.

Here's an interesting study - most aggressive breeds
The 3 Most Aggressive Dog Breeds Revealed! ? Pit Bulls? Rottweilers? You?ll Be Surprised?. | Dog Reflections

#1 Dachshund (no surprise when you consider this dog was bred to kill badgers - a formatable foe).
#2 Chihuahua's - small guy attitude
#3 JRT's - terriers

The article concludes:
The least aggressive breeds included Basset Hounds, Golden Retrievers, Labradors, Siberian Huskies, and Greyhounds. Pit Bulls and Rottweilers scored about average to below average in the study.

o hell no....i had them the whole time i was growing up.....now they will bite and they dont really care for kids...but other than that..they are great dogs

Here is an interesting and appears to be well researched and considered list of the 15 worst breeds of dogs for new pet owners. Weiner dog is not on the list. They look harmless to me.

Survey: 15 Dog Breeds New Pet Owners Should Avoid

They didn't say "worst" - they said most challenging, and that doesn't necessarily translate into aggressive or dangerous, but breeds that aren't generally "beginner dogs". I agree with the assessment. My choice is working and herding breeds and I will be the first to say Aussies, BC's and GSD's are not "novice" dogs - they are easy to screw up and end up in rescues far too often for exhibiting the traits they were bred for.

Did you see what they said about the Pitbull?

Honorable Mention: American Pit Bull Terrier

Although the received enough votes for this category to land a place at the bottom of this list, he also earned a significant number of votes as the best breed for new owners, which canceled out enough of the negative votes to knock him out of the running.

He looks formidable and has historically been used in dog fighting rings, giving him a frightening reputation, but over the last few decades, he's been bred to love and accept people. In the right home, he's a devoted and loyal companion (although he can have conflicts with other dogs or with cats). But as with many dogs bred for strength, a mistreated Pit can be a problem.

Here's an interesting study - most aggressive breeds
The 3 Most Aggressive Dog Breeds Revealed! ? Pit Bulls? Rottweilers? You?ll Be Surprised?. | Dog Reflections

#1 Dachshund (no surprise when you consider this dog was bred to kill badgers - a formatable foe).
#2 Chihuahua's - small guy attitude
#3 JRT's - terriers

The article concludes:
The least aggressive breeds included Basset Hounds, Golden Retrievers, Labradors, Siberian Huskies, and Greyhounds. Pit Bulls and Rottweilers scored about average to below average in the study.

The funny thing about pits is they have the ability to have a laser focus of aggressiveness towards their target but at the same time everyone else is safe. I once had some idiot teasing my first pit through a fence while he was walking with his daughter. He didn't realize that his daughter had stuck her arm through the fence to pet my dog. My pit would alternate between licking her hand then go back to trying to kill the guy that was teasing him. They have always been bred to be people friendly so thats the only strike I have against the article.

The dog is not dangerous. When this kid grows up he'll be stealing cars not bones. That's dangerous. The dog did not bite without reason. It was protecting it's property. Teach children early to respect others.
True, the dog was probably protecting his property, but that does not mean that there was really anything for the dog to protect at that moment if the child never meant that kind of harm to begin with and there is always the good chance that the child had no such intention.

God bless you and the child always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I do agree with you about teaching children how to respect others, but in order to do that, parents have to be the example that they want set for their children.

Forum List

Back