4 day vs 5 day school week.

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

Record Number of Missouri School Districts Switched to 4-Day Week

A record number of school districts in Missouri have moved to a four-day school week, according to research by the Missouri State University College of Education.

As the 2022-23 school year begins, an estimate of 141 school districts — nearly 25 percent of all districts — will teach students for just four days of school. This is the highest in Missouri history — a number that has steadily increased over the last two decades. In 2010, just one Missouri school had a four-day week. In 2020, the number of schools had jumped to 102.

What do you all think? Is this a good move or a bad one?

A record number of school districts in Missouri have moved to a four-day school week, according to research by the Missouri State University College of Education.

As the 2022-23 school year begins, an estimate of 141 school districts — nearly 25 percent of all districts — will teach students for just four days of school. This is the highest in Missouri history — a number that has steadily increased over the last two decades. In 2010, just one Missouri school had a four-day week. In 2020, the number of schools had jumped to 102.

I think it's a great idea if you shorten the summer to, say, six weeks. Otherwise, you have too much learning loss, which we have already suffered thanks to the panic over Covid.

Bad move. I went to school 6 days a week.

The purpose of public school isn't just education. Another purpose is affordable childcare allowing parents to work. Going to a 4 day school week may make it difficult for some to hold a 5 day per week job.

The purpose of public school isn't just education. Another purpose is affordable childcare allowing parents to work. Going to a 4 day school week may make it difficult for some to hold a 5 day per week job.

Nobody wants to provide that "affordable child care" anymore.

now what?

I am fine with it. If it doesn't work they will switch back. I support experimentation. Sometimes it pays off in spades and sometimes it is a good idea that is completely impractical in practice. When our public high school started doing block scheduling, it made perfect sense. In practice, it became a complete nightmare, especially for students who ended up in the split lunch period (they got two short lunches instead of one longer one). They switched back as discipline problems went through the roof and grades plummeted. Once they were able to significantly reduce the mega high school's student body via magnet schools to a more workable size, they started doing a modified version of the original block scheduling thing again with better logistical success and student outcomes.

That's all we need, dumber kids. What we have here is a case where the teachers' well-being today means more than the future well-being of our kids. It is a sad thing to see, but too many times this country shows more concern for ourselves right now than we do for future generations.

This was done to retain teachers. So how is then cutting their pay going to help keep them?

If they're working less hours they should get a pay cut like anyone else.
I've worked four day weeks but had to put in 10 hours a day to hit 40.
As far as keeping teachers from leaving goes? Oh well,they knew what they were getting into when they became teachers.
They already have the summer off what more do they want?

That's all we need, dumber kids. What we have here is a case where the teachers' well-being today means more than the future well-being of our kids. It is a sad thing to see, but too many times this country shows more concern for ourselves right now than we do for future generations.

Why would the kids be dumber if they got the same amount of hours of instruction as they did going 5 days a week?

If they're working less hours they should get a pay cut like anyone else.
I've worked four day weeks but had to put in 10 hours a day to hit 40.
As far as keeping teachers from leaving goes? Oh well,they knew what they were getting into when they became teachers.
They already have the summer off what more do they want?

For all but the most basic jobs it is time to move past an hourly rate of pay. It is an antiquated system that does not reflect modern society.

Yep...we've all seen the videos of college students who dont know how many stars are on our flag or what they represent.
Saw one where the guy asks this college bimbo what ocean lies off our east coast....she had no idea.
And then there was a chick who didnt know where the US capital was.
This is all grade school shit and it makes you wonder how they got into college in the first place.

Why would the kids be dumber if they got the same amount of hours of instruction as they did going 5 days a week?
There are only so many hours of quality instructional time that can be crammed into a single day. Additional hours of education the same day achieve diminishing returns. Perhaps because a child's attention span has its limits or simply because the child becomes tired.

Do you really think kids will get the same amount of instruction, i.e., learning in 4 days against 5? Will they be in school at 10 hours a day over 4 days rather than 8 hours a day over 5? I think not. And school is more than just academics, it's also social, how to deal with others. I do not believe kids will be better off in the long run with a 4-day school week.

Do you really think kids will get the same amount of instruction, i.e., learning in 4 days against 5? Will they be in school at 10 hours a day over 4 days rather than 8 hours a day over 5? I think not. And school is more than just academics, it's also social, how to deal with others. I do not believe kids will be better off in the long run with a 4-day school week.

Not only that it prepares them for the real world where most people work a five day work week.

Forum List

Back