3rd Largest Health Insurer Will Likely Pullout Of ACA

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
I wonder if this means I'll get my $2,500 savings and the doctor I liked.

Aetna, the third-largest health insurer in the US, said Tuesday that it is reconsidering its offerings on the state exchanges that make up the back-bone of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).

In a conference call following the company’s earnings announcement, CEO Mark Bertolini said that the firm has halted its plans to expand into two new states’ exchanges in 2017 and is looking into the reasons for losses in the exchanges it is currently participating in.

Here’s Bertolini (emphasis ours):

“In light of the disappointing year to date performance and updated 2016 projections for our individual on and off exchange products, combined with the significant structural challenges facing the public exchanges, we believe it is only prudent to reassess our level of participation on the public exchanges. Our initial action will be to withdraw our 2017 public exchange expansion plans. Additionally, given the deadline to attest to our final rate filings for 2017, we are also undertaking a complete evaluation of our current exchange footprint as the poor performance of these products warrants such an analysis.”

Keep reading…

Aetna, the third-largest health insurer in the US, said Tuesday that it is reconsidering its offerings on the state exchanges that make up the back-bone of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).

In a conference call following the company’s earnings announcement, CEO Mark Bertolini said that the firm has halted its plans to expand into two new states’ exchanges in 2017 and is looking into the reasons for losses in the exchanges it is currently participating in.

“In light of the disappointing year to date performance and updated 2016 projections for our individual on and off exchange products, combined with the significant structural challenges facing the public exchanges, we believe it is only prudent to reassess our level of participation on the public exchanges. Our initial action will be to withdraw our 2017 public exchange expansion plans. Additionally, given the deadline to attest to our final rate filings for 2017, we are also undertaking a complete evaluation of our current exchange footprint as the poor performance of these products warrants such an analysis.”

Keep reading…

No mystery. New Jersey, Indiana: Christie, Pence.

Keep reading…
you are over 90 you are more then cover by medicare

Keep reading…

Watch when the nations third largest insurer pulls out of ACA in every State.

Keep reading…

You keep an eye on that, then. I'm more puzzled by why Aetna's pulling out of two states that agreed to Medicaid expansion. Couldn't possibly be corporate greed...Sun Devil approves of that sort of thing. Watch him do his little victory dance every time a consumer-run co-op closes.

Keep reading…

You keep an eye on that, then. I'm more puzzled by why Aetna's pulling out of two states that agreed to Medicaid expansion. Couldn't possibly be corporate greed...Sun Devil approves of that sort of thing. Watch him do his little victory dance every time a consumer-run co-op closes.
Learn to read. They canceled their expansion plans in two states and are looking at pulling out of ACA across the nation.

If Trump wins, the exchanges will collapse without much legislative need to act because people will start dropping coverage left and right. If Clinton wins, the holdouts will surrender and sign up for the exchanges.

Keep reading…

Learn to read. They canceled their expansion plans in two states and are looking at pulling out of ACA across the nation.

Which in no way contradicts what I posted.

Keep reading…

Costs are now 500% what they were, can't wait to see prices when Atena pulls out.

Costs are now 500% what they were, can't wait to see prices when Atena pulls out.

Costs to the consumer? Where'd you find that figure?

Keep reading…

It isn't corporate greed to quit if the corporation is losing money.

(1) the company is not a major player in ACA, which you fail to point out

(2) other companies will happily pick up those customers, which you fail to point out

[

They were probably planning to offer similar policies to the ones they already offer and since they are losing money on them, they would just lose more. Medicaid type people is not the market they are insuring

Aetna stands to go from a 38% net, down to a 28% net.

Writing of costs; Since more than 50% of hospitals and Doctors (providers) are owned by healthcare insurance companies, who exactly set the costs the healthcare insurance companies are complaining about?

[

They were probably planning to offer similar policies to the ones they already offer and since they are losing money on them, they would just lose more. Medicaid type people is not the market they are insuring

The point is that states that opted for the Medicaid expansion made it easier for their insurers to attract middle-class customers and secure their bottom line. But those governors and state legislators that refused the Medicaid expansion in an attempt to scuttle the PPACA overburdened the market (at least if you listen to the sob stories from the insurers, despite the fact that their shareholder reports say otherwise).

Keep reading…

Is it losing money or having a windfall reduced to a realistic figure?

Keep reading…

You are the one accusing them of corporate greed. Why not look up the numbers and then you can tell me how about their profit and loss statement.

You are the one accusing them of corporate greed. Why not look up the numbers and then you can tell me how about their profit and loss statement.

You mean the numbers 38% and 28%? They're quite clear.

Check it yourself. It's avaialble. The fact is that Aetna is a minor payer in ACA.

Keep reading…

And have repubs offered to work with dems to fix whatever is ailing ACA.

Forum List

Back