280 People Missing in Michael

I was channel hopping and found this list of facts about Hurricane Michael and other storms that have besieged our friends in the greater gatorlands…

• Michael was the first Category 4 storm on record to make landfall in the Florida Panhandle.
  • It was also the first major hurricane (Category 3 or above) to strike the Florida Panhandle since Hurricane Dennis in 2005.
  • After Michael was downgraded Wednesday afternoon, it became the first Category 3 hurricane to hit Georgia since 1898.
  • A wind gust of 130 mph was reported near Tyndall AFB, close to Panama City, before the instrument failed.
  • Only three major hurricanes made landfall in the Panhandle since 1950 before this: Eloise in 1975, Opal in 1995 and Dennis in 2005.
  • Hurricane Michael, with 155 mph winds at landfall, is the strongest storm to make landfall in the continental US since Hurricane Andrew in 1992.
  • The "forecast cone" for Michael (the storm's projected path) stretches from Florida all the way north to Maryland.
  • Before Michael made landfall, about 30 million people were under a hurricane watch or warning, or tropical storm watch or warning, across six states (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina).
  • Michael is the seventh hurricane of the year in the Atlantic Basin. On average, the Atlantic has about five hurricanes by October 8.
  • Its tropical-storm-force wind speeds stretch for more than 320 miles -- equal to the distance between New York City and Pittsburgh.
  • Florida has had more hurricanes in October than in any other month.
  • Hurricane Michael rapidly intensified by 45 mph in the 24 hours leading up to landfall.
Source: Hurricane Michael facts and stats - CNN

Anyone deciding to stay and ride out a Cat 4 are not too bright.
Trump supporters not ththe brightest.
"ththe?"

Hey, barkeep, I'll have what Issa's havin'! :biggrin::blahblah:

And on a more serious note, this is (or was) live

Edit: Adding this caption from the Washington Post: View of Venice Jetty, Fla. as Hurricane Michael makes landfall in Florida Panhandle. Read more: https://wapo.st/2QECkA3

Last edited:
Guess Tyndall AFB took a huge hit:

Hurricane Michael unleashed ‘widespread catastrophic damage’ at Tyndall Air Force Base, officials say

16b23bdf1de0af5fa080fb1997d049b5.jpg

"
Tyndall Air Force Base in Panama City, Florida, suffered “severe damage” to “the base infrastructure” as a result of getting pummeled by Hurricane Michael, base officials said Thursday.Initial assessments were conducted at the base after the storm, which left Tyndall without power, water and sewer service, an official told Fox News."

There's a great aerial drone at this website, too.

Is it honest to create a statistic related to "missing" persons before people who have evacuated are able (or willing) to get back? Is the number related to some political agenda?
Whitehall, they're taking aerial shots of these hard-hit areas--they go for many, many miles of total and complete devastation. Go to Fox news, go to the page about Tyndall AFB, you will find an aerial drone shot going over unbelievable damaged areas that likely cover many counties in FLA. It's terrible. This is such a storm, there's nothing political about it. It's ugly. Elderly people and the disabled couldn't leave their homes. It's a big retirement state/area. This is awful. Even at the AFB, they haven't been able to call out, no lights, no phone services, all the amenities are nonexistent. It's pretty grim, imho.

Prayers up for the storm survivors who have a rough road ahead.

th

I had reservations down in PC this weekend. I can't even get through to the hotel to cancel.
ThunderK, the hotel may not be there any more if it was in the path of Michael. Even if you could get down there, it would ride on whether the road is still there, and the people who work in the hotel may be in shelters somewhere, if they survived and are not among the missing. It's unreal what happened in the torrents of fury and one thing I read today, they described it as having the destructive power of a tornado, except that it was bigger. That really didn't sink in until I went over to fox news and got a dose of that aerial view of horrible devastation in areas greater than a West Texas county..

You know, if I was going to live in a place like that which could be hit by hurricanes and floods, I'd be looking into building a watertight house out of steel with steel shutters you could pull down over the windows and doors when stuff like this hit.

Also, I'd be making it in the shape of a geodesic dome (one of the strongest structures around), which would be good in the case of high winds.
Steel shipping containers.

Anyone deciding to stay and ride out a Cat 4 are not too bright.
Your property is not worth your life

Nothing you can do in a Cat 4 Hurricane
rightwinger, I was reading one article on just that issue. Some elderly people in the area have suchextreme health issues that they may not have realized they were in danger (dementia), some may not be able to get around (broken bones due to osteoporosis), some may have narcissistic children who have abusively alienated them, some have rheumatoid arthritis, heart conditions, are on respirators, and couldn't move if they wanted to; the devastation is such that caregivers may have been unable to reach them, and the pictures I saw of some of the airports are such that planes, helicopters, and the like are broken in two and cannot respond. Phones are out, power is out, water may be dangerous, and people may be very, very isolated if their home structure was totaled. It's a bad situation, and it's going to get worse. A lot of people are in trouble and can't get help, and they may have gotten themselves seriously hurt from all the flying debris from unbelievable winds of a Cat 4 storm. You are right about nothing can be done about a Cat 4 Hurricane, but not everyone was there to look over their property. They didn't have a way to get out of there, and some were isolated.

Forum List

Back