2 people whose entire student-debt loads will be wiped out due to Biden's loan bailout 'I get to not worry about losing my home'

Uhhhh Pell Grants are not loans. They are grants. They have always been grants. They have never needed to be paid back for normal borrowers. I have trouble believing anything beyond that clearly wrong first sentence.

Pell grants don't have to be paid back, but many of these kids took out student loans in addition to the grant, and that is the forgiveness part for them. Up to $20,000, I think. The problem here as I see it is the precedent - people are going to take out student loans in the future thinking the gov't will not make them pay it back. And that is a dangerous concept, cuz now people are wondering well when is the gov't going to pay off my car loan or my mortgage or my credit card? I'll just run up my tab and not worry at all about paying it back.

Pell grants don't have to be paid back, but many of these kids took out student loans in addition to the grant, and that is the forgiveness part for them. Up to $20,000, I think. The problem here as I see it is the precedent - people are going to take out student loans in the future thinking the gov't will not make them pay it back. And that is a dangerous concept, cuz now people are wondering well when is the gov't going to pay off my car loan or my mortgage or my credit card? I'll just run up my tab and not worry at all about paying it back.

As I am aware but when an article starts with "The 31-year-old in Portland, Oregon, took out $50,000 in Pell Grant loans..." either the writer, the source, or both become questionable to me. Second, if they are in any other loan program than the William D. Ford program, they are gonna find out they got nothing. I have spent the last several days telling everyone I know they have to check to be sure right now for themselves or their childrens' loans. If they are in any other program they have to get applied to the Ford program by August 31. It takes 1 to 3 days to get your online credentials and it takes 2 months to process and October 31 is the last day. Millions of people just assuming they will get student loan help are going to be shocked to find out they didn't or aren't. Starting Monday it is probably too late to apply. Apparently they have to hold fast to that October 31 deadline to make all the adjustments that have to be made to all the accounts and get the data to the right servicers to get all the accounts adjusted by December 31. I spent a good bit of time this morning chatting with Perkins loan holders telling them they absolutely had to do this immediately if they are counting on that relief. If they wait til labor day weekend, they are probably screwed.

Portland? Fucking Portland Oregon? Now all you have to worry about is some rioters burning down your home, right? So tell me, how much is your home worth BTW? Is it in a gated community? The upper threshhold is $250,000/year for a household, that ain't exactly what I'd call lower income. I wonder how much of that debt forgiveness actually goes to households where their income is under $50,000, or even less?

First of all, this is pure politics; I think this will get challenged in court and ruled unconstitutional cuz the law it is based on is for individuals in special cases of need rather than a blanket policy. And I also think Biden and the democrats know that, what we have here is nothing more than an attempt to get more votes in November by pandering to a segment of people who might not be democrats.

You’re right but the leftists voters will fall for it. The dems would stop doing it if it didn’t work on these morons every single time.

Look at that shit-eating grin. A grin that says "S-U-C-K-E-R-S!"

View attachment 687990
Right me if I am wrong, but when a person has such a handicap, they are supposed to get the appropriate kind of help for it, right? Stuttering proudly will only make a person come across as even more aggravating, obnoxious, and nerve racking than they already are. In other words, if they want people to give them the kind of attention that they are hoping for, they had better try to meet the rest of us halfway at least by getting whatever boost it is that they need for their problem.

God bless you and those with considerateness for other people always!!!

Holly

How about the plumber, small builder, handyman, electrician who did not go to college, struggled to get a small business loan at 1/10th of the outstanding college loans of other people just got told their taxes are going up $2,500 to help pay down the debt of people who took massive college loans to major in poetry and women’s studies??

Maybe she should have thought about paying her loans off before buying a home!

2 people whose entire student-debt loads will be wiped out due to Biden's announcement talk about what's next for their futures: 'I get to not worry about losing my home'​

Maybe you need to drop dead. Helping people is not a bad thing.

How about the plumber, small builder, handyman, electrician who did not go to college, struggled to get a small business loan at 1/10th of the outstanding college loans of other people just got told their taxes are going up $2,500 to help pay down the debt of people who took massive college loans to major in poetry and women’s studies??

Their taxes are not going up by $2,500. That is a typical right wing lie. It is estimated to cost $330 billion over 10 years which means $33 billion a year. The relief is aimed at lower income workers.

Uhhhh Pell Grants are not loans. They are grants. They have always been grants. They have never needed to be paid back for normal borrowers. I have trouble believing anything beyond that clearly wrong first sentence.

Pell grants have not kept up with higher costs. As a result, these people have been forced to take on more debt.

Their taxes are not going up by $2,500. That is a typical right wing lie. It is estimated to cost $330 billion over 10 years which means $33 billion a year. The relief is aimed at lower income workers.
You are saying taxes will not go up? You need to provide better details than that. The COST goes up $330B. Who pays for it and how much per person? How and why is what I said a lie? You telling me as a taxpayer it is not going to cost me? Do tell.

Pell grants have not kept up with higher costs. As a result, these people have been forced to take on more debt.
I am well aware of that. I also am well aware my college gave my an awesome financial aid package my first year to get me through the door and each year they progressively went from less other things to more and more loans as if they didn't get you any other aid until they maxed out your loans. I was also an aviation major so my flight fees basically doubled my tuition as to normal students. I am also well aware that unlike the conservative meme "You agreed to it" that the financial aid office did all that crap and just made me sign a couple pieces of paper as I was registering for classes so I really didn't read anything they shoved at me. It was sign here right now or you don't get to continue to go to school here basically. Now I have paid off all of mine, but I fully support anything that lessens that burden for borrowers because the system is too focused on loans first for naive borrowers who have no freaking clue what life is going to be throwing at them, let alone know what an unruly devil that capitalized interest can become in a very very short period of time.

I am well aware of that. I also am well aware my college gave my an awesome financial aid package my first year to get me through the door and each year they progressively went from less other things to more and more loans as if they didn't get you any other aid until they maxed out your loans. I was also an aviation major so my flight fees basically doubled my tuition as to normal students. I am also well aware that unlike the conservative meme "You agreed to it" that the financial aid office did all that crap and just made me sign a couple pieces of paper as I was registering for classes so I really didn't read anything they shoved at me. It was sign here right now or you don't get to continue to go to school here basically. Now I have paid off all of mine, but I fully support anything that lessens that burden for borrowers because the system is too focused on loans first for naive borrowers who have no freaking clue what life is going to be throwing at them, let alone know what an unruly devil that capitalized interest can become in a very very short period of time.
Hang on to all that while we get you a crate of Kleenex and bring in a few violin players.

The truth is, no one ever forced you to do anything. If you signed anything without reading it, that is on you.

And, YOU chose the field you wanted to pursue, no one forced it upon you. If it was too expensive you could have chosen a less expensive option.

At the time, you were probably thrilled at the huge opportunity before you. And I'll bet you snatched up that loan money with both hands.

Then - when you woke up to reality and realized the money YOU needed and CHOSE to borrow had to be paid back...THEN, you began to cry and act like a fucking victim. As your post clearly shows.

One of life's hardest lessons is that no one owes you a living. I'll bet there are millions of people across the globe who would trade places with you in a heartbeat. And most, if not all, wouldn't shed a single tear about paying back the loan THEY needed to reach their goals and make their dreams a reality.

Taxpayers should NOT have to pay for other peoples' choices. If the price is too high they can become handymen or plumbers - but they'd probably cry about that, too. Some people are born crybabies.

Hang on to all that while we get you a crate of Kleenex and bring in a few violin players.

The truth is, no one ever forced you to do anything. If you signed anything without reading it, that is on you.

And, YOU chose the field you wanted to pursue, no one forced it upon you. If it was too expensive you could have chosen a less expensive option.

At the time, you were probably thrilled at the huge opportunity before you. And I'll bet you snatched up that loan money with both hands.

Then - when you woke up to reality and realized the money YOU needed and CHOSE to borrow had to be paid back...THEN, you began to cry and act like a fucking victim. As your post clearly shows.

One of life's hardest lessons is that no one owes you a living. I'll bet there are millions of people across the globe who would trade places with you in a heartbeat. And most, if not all, wouldn't shed a single tear about paying back the loan THEY needed to reach their goals and make their dreams a reality.

Taxpayers should NOT have to pay for other peoples' choices. If the price is too high they can become handymen or plumbers - but they'd probably cry about that, too. Some people are born crybabies.

If I could give two fucks about your opinion it is only because I don't have three to spare.

Forum List

Back