1917 Winchester Model 1892 in .32 WCF

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked this old boy up today. Kinda homely but the bore is excellent and it works as it should. 24" barrel. It should make for a great shooter. I have about $900 in it, not bad, not great. Sigh, I'm such a sucker for .32-20. :eusa_wall:

92 002 (2).JPG

I picked this old boy up today. Kinda homely but the bore is excellent and it works as it should. 24" barrel. It should make for a great shooter. I have about $900 in it, not bad, not great. Sigh, I'm such a sucker for .32-20. :eusa_wall:

View attachment 609961

I'm from Virginia as well. Richmond area. I have a buddy who has an 1895 Winchester Lever action 30-40. Beautiful gun. Nothing says Americana like an old Winchester. Hold on to the one you have, :thup:

I'm from Virginia as well. Richmond area. I have a buddy who has an 1895 Winchester Lever action 30-40. Beautiful gun. Nothing says Americana like an old Winchester. Hold on to the one you have, :thup:
I have a 1915-made M1895 saddle ring carbine (SRC) in the same caliber....Damn that thing has has a long lever throw. The caliber is marked .30 Army.

DSCN9250__2__JPG-1090065.JPG

DSCN9257__2__JPG-1090069.JPG

View attachment 609961

Good price, considering the prices run $1200 -$1500 on those. First thing I'd do after a complete disassembly and cleaning, is take her out and run some rounds through her.

Good price, considering the prices run $1200 -$1500 on those. First thing I'd do after a complete disassembly and cleaning, is take her out and run some rounds through her.
I already had it apart since i took the pic, mainly to check if it had been rebarreled as the barrel's OEM finish is in very good shape when compared to the receiver/lever . There was nothing amiss that I could see. The markings checked out etc.

Upon checking around a bit and calling a friend who is a Winchester collector to ask him I found that the steel used in later barrels was much better than that used on the receiver and it's not unusual at all on older "working guns".

View attachment 609961

My advice is get it appraised, I have a model '94 30-30 all nickel that is valued at $11,000 - manufactured in 1909. It might be worth a lot more than you think.

My advice is get it appraised, I have a model '94 30-30 all nickel that is valued at $11,000 - manufactured in 1909. It might be worth a lot more than you think.
Nah, I know what I have.....It might be worth $1200 or so..... .32-20 is a hard sell even though .32-20 was only 7% of total production......Except to idiots like me. ;)

Oh, I saw another '92 in .38 WCF (.38-40) "half-mag" today, better shape than my example $1295.00.
Like this one but with a round barrel.....I really did not look at it good, it could have been a refinish for all I know.

R.c2e59c6846352253bc295295ed81669a

Well the more I looked at the rifle the more I realized that some long ago owner had slapped a coat of tinted shellac on the stock (finish cracking) and a bit of denatured alcohol on a inconspicuous spot confirmed it so I decided to to a light refinish of the wood only.

I stripped the finish with Acetone and a 3M scrubby (it came right off) then I called my friend and he said just go ahead and use Tung Oil as a finish as it's about as close to the sprayed on lacquer they used as you can get.

I did not care about the dings and such as I was not interested in sanding the stock so I applied the Tung Oil (three coats) and took advantage of the excellent outside drying conditions.....UV rays and dry breezy air does the trick and it was done in about 10 hours. I let it cure for 24 hours then applied a coat of wax.

I think it turned out OK. At any rate I did not hurt anything value wise. At least I can see the grain in the buttstock now. The forend was very plain.

A slight bit of difference in the tint of the two pieces but that's normal as that is all they strove for on standard guns.

r 001 (2).JPG

r 003 (3).JPG

Forum List

Back