11-year-old girl 'forced to marry her rapist' from church in Florida

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/...me-child-marriage-in-the-us.html?mcubz=1&_r=0

KRISTOF1-600.png

This happened many many years ago. Efforts are being made to change these archaic laws but with the immigration of muslims, that's not going to happen.

What does the immigration of Muslims have to do with laws preventing child marriages? Chris Christie just vetoed a law which would make under 18 marriages illegal, saying it violated many traditional religious beliefs. So much for laws not being based on religion.
The traditional religious beliefs are muslim beliefs. Although, I do know of a hispanic family in the central valley that sold a 14 year old girl for a case of beer. That wasn't religious. That was cultural.

We are moving toward the barbaric. Girl children married off when no one quite knows what to do with them. I was married at 15. Just to be someone else's headache.

:bsflag:

The USA is not a first world country.

Could you be any more of a drama queen?

As if other countries don't have cases of shield abuse and rape?

This is the US. Why bring up other countries?

The age of consent in Florida is 18, but close-in-age exemptions exist. By law, the exception permits a person 23 years of age or younger to engage in legal sexual activity with a minor aged 16 or 17.
The article says 27 States allow it. Never knew that.

The article is a lie. Fake news.
The article is probably true. It's a review of a book written by a woman forced into marriage at 11. She eventually had 9 children and wrote a book about her experience. Matthew posted this like it just happened. We have no idea when it happened. I didn't see any dates.

If it happened in 1804 or something back then, how is it relevant to anything? The lack of details and context means a great deal.

This is SO typical of the OP's contributions!

Why do you believe it happened in 1804?

Oh yeah, because you didn't bother to read the links.

=====================

Stop trying to blame Muslims for everything.

Duck Dynasty old fart preached that very young girls should be forced to "marry" old men.

RWNJ hero Ted poopy pants draft dodger, admitted pedophile, convicted poacher Nugent has made no secret that he likes them young and even wrote a song about it.

This is a modern day problem and lying about it does nothing to help the young victims of fundie christians.

:rolleyes:

This happened many many years ago. Efforts are being made to change these archaic laws but with the immigration of muslims, that's not going to happen.

What does the immigration of Muslims have to do with laws preventing child marriages? Chris Christie just vetoed a law which would make under 18 marriages illegal, saying it violated many traditional religious beliefs. So much for laws not being based on religion.
The traditional religious beliefs are muslim beliefs. Although, I do know of a hispanic family in the central valley that sold a 14 year old girl for a case of beer. That wasn't religious. That was cultural.

We are moving toward the barbaric. Girl children married off when no one quite knows what to do with them. I was married at 15. Just to be someone else's headache.
But the beer was really really good.
Malt liquor no doubt.

it isn't a law based on religion, he vetoed a law that would possibly prevent free exercise.

I the age of consent is below 18, why set the marriage age to 18 exactly?

They can change the laws of consent, but they can change human nature and biological urges.
A line of demarcation between human and lesser animals is that lesser animals cannot control biological urges and human beings are supposed to have that higher functioning mental capacity.

Forum List

Back