10 Habits From The Military That Stay With You Forever

I spent a lot of time working at Lyster Army Hospital at ft. Rucker. The food was good, and the officers ate with the enlisted, although they had a special area. I can still remember drinking all the good cold milk I could hold. The breakfasts were great with super little sausages. When they served SOSs, I sometimes went back for seconds if I could.

I was the only heart technician in the hospital, so maybe that's why the cooks were extra nice to me.

you're a REMF....;) or in Marine parlance, a 'Pogue'......

I really did sort of enjoy eating breakfast in the mess hall. Of course after i was married I almost never did, until i became a Platoon Sergeant then I would eat at least one meal a week in the mess, just to show the troops that I was there for them... I doubt they noticed it was usually breakfast...... Though Mrs O did go with me for Thanksgiving dinner one year...Troops loved that.....

Well, I suppose that breakfast is probably the hardest to fuck up. Aboard ship, it was great to pull into port. That would mean we would get fresh eggs and milk for a time instead of the powdered crap. Of course we'd still get the bacon floating in a vat of grease and the overcooked hash browns or pasty oatmeal. At least we had geedunk to fall back on. Lots of that good Navy coffee too (beans that Juan Valdez rejected). Good times!

Alright, dude....
:evil:
That was me in the Mess
:eusa_shhh:
My ship had real eggs,,,,I scrambled almost every-fucking-one of them
:lol:
My favorite memory is serving the King of Norway a good old-fashioned American hot dog.
I had the picture stolen out of my desk, tho, dammit

I still "hit the head"
walk down a passage way
change levels
shit, shower, shave each morning, aka, the 3 s's
keep my hair short and over my ears and up the back of my head aannd shave my neck
make sure my id is on me
show up early and wait
use sir and maam
walk in step with others

and b/c I was on subs, I will wake up if my fan goes off

I really did sort of enjoy eating breakfast in the mess hall. Of course after i was married I almost never did, until i became a Platoon Sergeant then I would eat at least one meal a week in the mess, just to show the troops that I was there for them... I doubt they noticed it was usually breakfast...... Though Mrs O did go with me for Thanksgiving dinner one year...Troops loved that.....

Well, I suppose that breakfast is probably the hardest to fuck up. Aboard ship, it was great to pull into port. That would mean we would get fresh eggs and milk for a time instead of the powdered crap. Of course we'd still get the bacon floating in a vat of grease and the overcooked hash browns or pasty oatmeal. At least we had geedunk to fall back on. Lots of that good Navy coffee too (beans that Juan Valdez rejected). Good times!

Geedunk!!!!

oh I broke that one. I was in the store with my kids; "Hey, you guts wanna get some geedunk?" The look in their eyes was priceless, but I didn't want them picking up on that.

and I still cuss like a sailor

Geedunk!!!!

oh I broke that one. I was in the store with my kids; "Hey, you guts wanna get some geedunk?" The look in their eyes was priceless, but I didn't want them picking up on that.

You're forgiven, we couldn't all be dogfaces.....

Geedunk!!!!

True story;

ET2/SS Thumbs was walking around base, saw a marine, very rare on sub bases, in camo, looked him up and down and ignored him as some stray dude wondering around like myself, so I eyes front.

Him; as we got close; "Good afternoon petty officer."
Petty officer Thumbs, spots black on dark green O3 bars; "Holy shit, good afternoon sir!" }salute snapped asap{

He returned, didn't laugh and kept walking. mad props, as they say

Geedunk!!!!

My Dad was in NK, just some of histories gaurinteed I would never be a soldier or marine.

There is (thankfully) nothing that compares with C-Rats.

yea tell me about it..:doubt:

I was still in when they did the change over to Meals Refused by Ethiopians....I was a grunt and well schooled in eating and cooking with C-rats....so we all asked what the fuck happened and who approved this shit etc.?

well, turns out the army has platoons they cycle thru (full of new guys) at Aberdeen were they test this shit. The moral being why the hell would you test this on guys that never had expedience with c-rats in the field where in you learn how to cook with everything in the box, incl. the box, heat tabs, using the cans as a stove , c-4 if you don't have heat tabs etc etc ...no wonder they picked the MRE's, they just didn't know any better...

Great pic doc...;) that a 113?

Yep. This one.

Alright, dude....
That was me in the Mess
My favorite memory is serving the King of Norway a good old-fashioned American hot dog.

Heh, could have been me or just about anyone who ever got sent TAD to the galley. I had to do mess cooking 3 times - service week in boot camp, before start of "A" school, and TAD after a Med cruise before I got my crow and they couldn't fuck me over any more. Still remember the Chief who ran the mess - a little Filipino guy. He'd say to us unfortunate TAD slaves "no fuck with me - or I fuck YOU with NO VASELINE!"

After a week or so out at sea, the fresh milk and real eggs were gone. Then we would get powdered eggs that were cooked to the consistency of rubber and nasty powdered milk. Thank God for ketchup and Tabasco!

Too bad about your picture. Some people will steal anything not nailed down.

Alright, dude....
That was me in the Mess

Heh, could have been me or just about anyone who ever got sent TAD to the galley. I had to do mess cooking 3 times - service week in boot camp, before start of "A" school, and TAD after a Med cruise before I got my crow and they couldn't fuck me over any more. Still remember the Chief who ran the mess - a little Filipino guy. He'd say to us unfortunate TAD slaves "no fuck with me - or I fuck YOU with NO VASELINE!"

After a week or so out at sea, the fresh milk and real eggs were gone. Then we would get powdered eggs that were cooked to the consistency of rubber and nasty powdered milk. Thank God for ketchup and Tabasco!

My name got called my first week aboard.
I liked it and extended for more than 2yrs
Still did my deck duties and watches but enjoyed Port/Starboard liberty
:thup:
All pics from N. Europe tour got snatched.....Paris, Copenhagen, Rock of Gibraltar, etc.....

Last edited:
Alright, dude....
That was me in the Mess

My name got called my first week aboard.
I liked it and extended for more than 2yrs
Still did my deck duties and watches but enjoyed Port/Starboard liberty
:thup:
All pics from N. Europe tour got snatched.....Paris, Copenhagen, Rock of Gibraltar, etc.....

I hear that, my hold baggage got stolen, the whole fucking crate on the way back ( if it even made it on board ship) from Bremerhaven...:doubt:

Forum List

Back