Zimmerman to sue NBC

NBC will settle out of court. If the Martins are so foolish as to try to sue Zimmerman he can use the million he gets from them for pocket change. Then there's the suit filed against Angela Corey for malicious prosecution. Zimmerman will be well compensated.

if the martins are foolish enough to sue zimmerman.... their "child" will get painted as he really was. Civil rules are quite different then criminal rules about what is admissible in court.

The standard of the burden of proof is different which is essential to keep in mind. Criminal-Beyond a reasonable doubt and Civil-Preponderance of the evidence. "A fact is established by a preponderance of evidence when it is shown that the fact is more likely true than not true. Preponderance of evidence means the greater weight of the evidence."

and all of tm text messages, photos, drug use, his best friends loud mouth....all of it will be on the table to help prove that preponderance of evidence. Its up to his parents if they want that or not

if the martins are foolish enough to sue zimmerman.... their "child" will get painted as he really was. Civil rules are quite different then criminal rules about what is admissible in court.

The standard of the burden of proof is different which is essential to keep in mind. Criminal-Beyond a reasonable doubt and Civil-Preponderance of the evidence. "A fact is established by a preponderance of evidence when it is shown that the fact is more likely true than not true. Preponderance of evidence means the greater weight of the evidence."
Maybe so, but there's also the discovery phase...The part where Martin's gangsta wannabe miscreant behavior gets introduced as relevant evidence.

bingo....

so the question is do they want their "child" to stay a "child" or painted in real life.

Maybe so, but there's also the discovery phase...The part where Martin's gangsta wannabe miscreant behavior gets introduced as relevant evidence.

I think you may have misunderstood where I was coming from. It would be easier for Zimmerman to pursue those he feels have harmed him in a civil matter than it was to pursue him in a criminal matter.

The "news" is considered part of the entertainment division in NBC last time I looked. Further, the Florida court of Appeals held that the media does not have to tell the truth in a case where Fox was a party. I do not take the media seriously as a source to consider when I do my research.

NBC will settle out of court. If the Martins are so foolish as to try to sue Zimmerman he can use the million he gets from them for pocket change. Then there's the suit filed against Angela Corey for malicious prosecution. Zimmerman will be well compensated.

Burden of proof for what, that it was more likely than not that Zimmerman fired the fatal shot? We know that he did.

Under Florida statute self defense confers blanket immunity. If the Martin family filed such a suit an immunity hearing would be scheduled and the judge would dismiss the case. But suppose the judge didn't and let the suit go forward. It would be dismissed at a Summary Judgment motion that basically says that the complaint is true. There are no triable issues of material fact and all of Zimmerman's actions were justifiable as a matter of law. There is no way the Martin family can win. The standards of proof don't matter. This isn't the OJ trial where the question was the identity of the killer.

Under Florida statute, when a civil suit is subject to an immunity hearing or summary judgment and the plaintiff loses they must pay for the defendant's fees, costs and damages.

greedy lawyers will such every penney out of these people--both the zimmermans and the martins.

The Zimmermans are all liars, the Martins weren't on trial and they did nothing wrong. It would be so ironic if his wife was the one who goes to jail.

Maybe she should for raising a thug, maybe he should become the poster child for planned parent hood.

Zimmerman's wife raised a thug? Idiot..

The Martin family received a settlement from the HOA for a million dollars. If they sue Zimmerman they are risking that the settlement will be awarded to Zimmerman for bringing their civil suit when they should have known he was immune.

They won't risk it.

I think you may have misunderstood where I was coming from. It would be easier for Zimmerman to pursue those he feels have harmed him in a civil matter than it was to pursue him in a criminal matter.

The "news" is considered part of the entertainment division in NBC last time I looked. Further, the Florida court of Appeals held that the media does not have to tell the truth in a case where Fox was a party. I do not take the media seriously as a source to consider when I do my research.
Actually, I took what you said both possible ways.

I just didn't see anyone bring up the aspect of discovery and used the opportunity to toss it out there.

I'm flexible like that. :)

Burden of proof for what, that it was more likely than not that Zimmerman fired the fatal shot? We know that he did.

Under Florida statute self defense confers blanket immunity. If the Martin family filed such a suit an immunity hearing would be scheduled and the judge would dismiss the case. But suppose the judge didn't and let the suit go forward. It would be dismissed at a Summary Judgment motion that basically says that the complaint is true. There are no triable issues of material fact and all of Zimmerman's actions were justifiable as a matter of law. There is no way the Martin family can win. The standards of proof don't matter. This isn't the OJ trial where the question was the identity of the killer.

Under Florida statute, when a civil suit is subject to an immunity hearing or summary judgment and the plaintiff loses they must pay for the defendant's fees, costs and damages.

This is all I am taking about, "Last night’s not-guilty verdict in the George Zimmerman trial will enable the neighborhood-watch volunteer to resume his case against NBC News for the mis-editing of his widely distributed call to police", and thinking about the standard of proof. Geez....:eusa_doh:

Not so.

Definition of PREPONDERANCE
: a superiority in weight, power, importance, or strength

The key is superiority.

A slight edge in evidence does not establish a preponderance and is insufficient to win a civil trial. The fact must be most likely true rather than more likely true.

I'm pretty sure that funds which were part of the settlement of a lawsuit cannot be considered for use as damages against the person who got the settlement. Anything Zimmerman gets from NBC will not be available for payment of a judgment against him.
The law is SO not as cute and dried as the forum race baiters want it to be.

I'm pretty sure that funds which were part of the settlement of a lawsuit cannot be considered for use as damages against the person who got the settlement. Anything Zimmerman gets from NBC will not be available for payment of a judgment against him.
The law is SO not as cute and dried as the forum race baiters want it to be.

You are thinking of the collateral source rule and got it wrong.

Zimmerman also has an action against Angela Corey and the State for malicious prosecution. He's not going to be worrying about money for the rest of his life.

This is all I am taking about, "Last night’s not-guilty verdict in the George Zimmerman trial will enable the neighborhood-watch volunteer to resume his case against NBC News for the mis-editing of his widely distributed call to police", and thinking about the standard of proof. Geez....:eusa_doh:

George Zimmerman will get millions from NBC and they will settle out of court. There will just not be a civil suit from the Martin family.

Z needs to leave the country toute de suite.

You are assuming that other countries would be willing to let him in.

Well, I can't neg you until after 8 tonight. And in those cases I usually forget. Sometimes someone is SO dense that the remind me. So, perhaps you are one of those. Regardless, this post is a disagreeable post. NEG!

Forum List

Back