Washington state judge blocks use of AI-enhanced video as evidence in possible first-of-its-kind ruling

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Good stuff. I like this ruling...and I hope it morphs into precedent.
OTOH...what if this guy is really innocent...and this would be exculpatory?

..or did this guy just try to scam the court?

The ruling, signed Friday by King County Superior Court Judge Leroy McCullogh and first reported by NBC News, described the technology as novel and said it relies on "opaque methods to represent what the AI model 'thinks' should be shown."
"This Court finds that admission of this Al-enhanced evidence would lead to a confusion of the issues and a muddling of eyewitness testimony, and could lead to a time-consuming trial within a trial about the non-peer-reviewable-process used by the AI model," the judge wrote in the ruling that was posted to the docket Monday.

The ruling comes as artificial intelligence and its uses — including the proliferation of deepfakes on social media and in political campaigns — quickly evolve, and as state and federal lawmakers grapple with the potential dangers posed by the technology.

The defendant, Joshua Puloka, 46, has claimed self-defense in the Sept. 26 killings, with his lawyers saying in a court filing in February that he had been trying to de-escalate a violent situation when he was assaulted and gunfire erupted.
Puloka returned fire, fatally striking innocent bystanders, the filing says. The man accused of assaulting Puloka was also fatally shot, a probable cause statement shows.
The deadly confrontation was captured in the cellphone video. To enhance the video, Puloka’s lawyers turned to a man who had not previously handled a criminal case but had a background in creative video production and editing, according to the prosecutors' filing.

The software he used, developed by Texas-based Topaz Labs, says its software is used by film studios and other creative professionals to "supercharge" video, according to the filing.

Last edited:
Yup...scam

From the link:

Puloka’s lawyers did not respond to requests for comment. In a statement, a spokesperson for Topaz Labs said the company "strongly" recommends against using its AI technology for forensic or legal applications.

With AI we won't need lawyers... judges... actors... singers... reporters... TV anchors... legislators... and professors....
I say three cheers for AI....

Good stuff. I like this ruling...and I hope it morphs into precedent.
OTOH...what if this guy is really innocent...and this would be exculpatory?

..or did this guy just try to scam the court?

The ruling, signed Friday by King County Superior Court Judge Leroy McCullogh and first reported by NBC News, described the technology as novel and said it relies on "opaque methods to represent what the AI model 'thinks' should be shown."
"This Court finds that admission of this Al-enhanced evidence would lead to a confusion of the issues and a muddling of eyewitness testimony, and could lead to a time-consuming trial within a trial about the non-peer-reviewable-process used by the AI model," the judge wrote in the ruling that was posted to the docket Monday.

The ruling comes as artificial intelligence and its uses — including the proliferation of deepfakes on social media and in political campaigns — quickly evolve, and as state and federal lawmakers grapple with the potential dangers posed by the technology.

The defendant, Joshua Puloka, 46, has claimed self-defense in the Sept. 26 killings, with his lawyers saying in a court filing in February that he had been trying to de-escalate a violent situation when he was assaulted and gunfire erupted.
Puloka returned fire, fatally striking innocent bystanders, the filing says. The man accused of assaulting Puloka was also fatally shot, a probable cause statement shows.
The deadly confrontation was captured in the cellphone video. To enhance the video, Puloka’s lawyers turned to a man who had not previously handled a criminal case but had a background in creative video production and editing, according to the prosecutors' filing.

The software he used, developed by Texas-based Topaz Labs, says its software is used by film studios and other creative professionals to "supercharge" video, according to the filing.

I don't know why they would think that. From what I've heard, AI is pretty truthful.

1712101784018.jpeg

Forum List

Back