Youtube TV or Hulu?

I pulled the plug on Xfinity and while we have all our apps available on Roku - MAX, P+, etc., we'd like a better live TV package that has local channes. Looks like it's between Youtube TV and Hulu. Anyone opinions? Thanks!
Trying out Hulu. Got rid of DISH. They showed their true colors today. Ten years with them and the customer service at cancellation sucked. I'll never use DISH or HughesNet again. I would suggest getting PLEX and TUBI, they are both free and nice additions to Hulu.

Trying out Hulu. Got rid of DISH. They showed their true colors today. Ten years with them and the customer service at cancellation sucked. I'll never use DISH or HughesNet again. I would suggest getting PLEX and TUBI, they are both free and nice additions to Hulu.

I had DISH from about 2005 to about 2016. I used to love it but every couple of years it was something. I think twice I needed a new receiver. Always some glitch. Another time, it was the board in the satellite dish which I diagnosed for them myself. Each time, it was a major reprogramming effort to put stuff back into the new receiver all the stuff from the last. Hours of work. Then in 2016 I believe, one day I turned the TV on and got static. No signal.

So I called DISH. They refused to come out to repair and service their own gear so I could continue to receive programming unless I paid them $95.00! And they might have only been there for 10 minutes! So I refused to pay for the privilege to maintain their own gear which I was renting off of them so I could watch TV!

Then they tried to continue billing me for my TV package anyway despite my receiving nothing, so I refused to pay that either! So then I cancelled my service and they refused to even come out to get their stuff instead demanding that I pack it all up myself at my trouble and ship it to them. And when I refused to do that, they tried billing me for the value of the receiver despite it not working! And I told them to go suck my ass.

I had DISH from about 2005 to about 2016. I used to love it but every couple of years it was something. I think twice I needed a new receiver. Always some glitch. Another time, it was the board in the satellite dish which I diagnosed for them myself. Each time, it was a major reprogramming effort to put stuff back into the new receiver all the stuff from the last. Hours of work. Then in 2016 I believe, one day I turned the TV on and got static. No signal.

So I called DISH. They refused to come out to repair and service their own gear so I could continue to receive programming unless I paid them $95.00! And they might have only been there for 10 minutes! So I refused to pay for the privilege to maintain their own gear which I was renting off of them so I could watch TV!

Then they tried to continue billing me for my TV package anyway despite my receiving nothing, so I refused to pay that either! So then I cancelled my service and they refused to even come out to get their stuff instead demanding that I pack it all up myself at my trouble and ship it to them. And when I refused to do that, they tried billing me for the value of the receiver despite it not working! And I told them to go suck my ass.
I still remember our AT&T freedom day about 18 years ago. Internet and phone. Every fucking bill had something I had to dispute. I just switched from Xfinity to AT&T fiber. It just became available in our hood. Fiber all the way to the house. Fast as fuck. Was still concerned about the legacy billing issues, but none so far.

Yeah, this "customer retention" rep was a piece of work.

I still remember our AT&T freedom day about 18 years ago. Internet and phone. Every fucking bill had something I had to dispute. I just switched from Xfinity to AT&T fiber. It just became available in our hood. Fiber all the way to the house. Fast as fuck. Was still concerned about the legacy billing issues, but none so far.
Fiber is the way to go. The kids have it in town but we don't have it in the sticks yet. There is one road about five miles away where they've brought it in but Starlink is the best we can get here.

Fiber is the way to go. The kids have it in town but we don't have it in the sticks yet. There is one road about five miles away where they've brought it in but Starlink is the best we can get here.
When we get fiber, Dish is AMF...Antennae pointed at Duluth and the TC, and Roku with a couple subscriptions...But we're stuck for the time being.

Yeah, this "customer retention" rep was a piece of work.

Satellite and cable must be taking big hits, with satellite taking the worst. The main onus now is people moving to streaming services which means you need internet access, so I assume cable is faring less bad, and maybe DISH and others have worked on getting internet to people in remote locations but the investment must be heavy--- oh well, DISH had a pretty well designed EchoStar receiver and remote and a good service for a long time. I use a few streaming services like Tubi and Pluto and have looked at a few others and there are nice things about it, great 4K picture quality, but I refuse to go back where someone else controls my programing forcing me to deal with ads, commercials and such, though I have to say that Tubi and such are pretty reasonable about it, still, everything they offer is organized and packaged the way THEY want and it always seems to be constantly changing. I more often than not go on Tubi to check out a rerun of Gilligan's island, here is a scene in regular OTA broadcast quality,

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 11.39.59 AM.png

---and here is the same scene taken off Tubi streaming, though, again, due to Tubi controlling the stream, I cannot still the image while taking the picture because then they insert a bunch of crap into the picture so this second photo had to be captured during live motion, and the camera is only 2 megapixel, so the quality of the streaming is actually better than seen here.

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 11.40.48 AM.jpg

Local channels?

I put this in my attic

Amazon product

Slapped this guy on it.

Amazon product

And used this to pick the direction to face it.

I pick up about 80 some local channels.

Then I got one of these.

Amazon product

And I put apps on it to get free shows and movies. Pluto has a lot of live channels on it. But I also love tubi as it is has a metric shit ton of tv shows and movies. Roku, freevee, and some others are pretty good also.

And if you have Amazon prime you can use the firestick to get a ton of movies and shows as part of your prime account.

Local channels?
I put this in my attic
Looks like a nice antenna. I may have to consider it. I already have an indoor, desktop powered directional combination YAGI type and rabbit ear antenna which I've had for at least 20 years before digital that has served me well, pulling in about 70 channels as well within about a 60 mile range but I often find it is affected by something, not the weather, where one week, I get crystal clear reception on all channels then another week, some channels suffer signal strength loss or completer loss of reception, and I may lose them on perrfectly clear days yet receive then on cloudy, etc., and I don't think it is ionospheric bouncing, but I have a much cheaper, simpler rabbit-bow tie antenna in my bedroom that often works better, so I've been considering buying a new antenna for the main TV and will have to consider that one, just that I'd need to mount it on a short mast on a pedestal base to sit on my subwoofer which has intense magnetic fields around it and the base would have to be able to sit there and not scratch the top of the woofer.

Slapped this guy on it.
Channel Master. I bought one of their OTA DVRs back in 2016 and it turned out to be the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. Everything on it has ever failed or works very poorly.

Forum List

Back