Your Favorite Movies That Never Really Hit It Big at the Box Office

the 1993 movie, Gettysburg. It wasn't the greatest hit ever, but that movie sparked an interest in 12 year old me, that changed my life. I am now a collector, searcher and learner, of American military history.

I missed being an extra in that movie, the old "I have bills to pay" scenario won out.......... That scene where Sheen is riding by the troops and they all start cheering him and flocking towards him was unscriped, it was spur of the moment by the Confederate troops. Sheen later confessed it initially scared the hell out of him, didn't know what was going on.

“- Karen: How about you Michael? So tell us about the world of big time journalism.
- Sam: Yeah.
- Michael: Well where I work we only have one editorial rule. You can't write anything longer than it takes your average person to take an average crap.”

1654210787322.png

Some former college roommates are invited to their friend Alex's funeral, who committed suicide for no apparent reason. The function is held at Harold and his wife Sarah's villa. They all have lost one another for over 15 years and now they meet again during the early eighties, sharing some college's memories. Their youth expectations are changed, and the funeral is an opportunity to remember the dreams they used to have, comparing them with the present time and trying to re-establish their friendships or creating new ones.
All actors – Tom Berenger, Glenn Close, Jeff Goldblum, William Hurt, Kevin Kline, Mary Kay Place, Meg Tilly, JoBeth Williams, Don Galloway, James Gillis, Ken Place, Jon Kasdan, Ira Stiltner, Jake Kasdan, Muriel Moore, Meg Kasdan, Patricia Gaul,, Kevin Costner
show all

Benny & Joon

Benny & Joon is a 1993 romantic comedy film released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer about how two eccentric individuals, Sam (Johnny Depp) and Juniper "Joon" (Mary Stuart Masterson), find each other and fall in love. Aidan Quinn also stars, and it was directed by Jeremiah S. Chechik.

Benny and joon ver1.jpg

Theatrical release poster
Directed byJeremiah S. Chechik
Written byBarry Berman (Story by Barry Berman and Leslie McNeil)
Produced byDavid Zanuck
Donna Roth
Starring
CinematographyJohn Schwartzman
Edited byCarol Littleton
Music byRachel Portman
Distributed byMetro-Goldwyn-Mayer
Release date
  • April 23, 1993
Running time98 minutes
CountryUnited States
LanguageEnglish
Box office$30 million[1]

Sid and Nancy--complete cockroach of a human, but Gary Oldman nails it.

Europa Europa--BASED on a true story (grain of salt) but a really good flick NTL.

Honorable Mention--Lo--low budget but pretty cool--saw it on Netflix many years ago and it stuck with me.

I missed being an extra in that movie, the old "I have bills to pay" scenario won out.......... That scene where Sheen is riding by the troops and they all start cheering him and flocking towards him was unscriped, it was spur of the moment by the Confederate troops. Sheen later confessed it initially scared the hell out of him, didn't know what was going on.

It happened in the real battle too. When Virginia and North Carolina troops on Seminary Ridge saw Lee riding by, they all streamed out of the woods giving the rebel yell and waving their flags and cheering. The yankees across the field didn't know what the heck was going on. If they had any smarts about them, they could have shelled that position.

Benny & Joon

Benny & Joon is a 1993 romantic comedy film released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer about how two eccentric individuals, Sam (Johnny Depp) and Juniper "Joon" (Mary Stuart Masterson), find each other and fall in love. Aidan Quinn also stars, and it was directed by Jeremiah S. Chechik.

Benny and joon ver1.jpg

Theatrical release poster
Directed byJeremiah S. Chechik
Written byBarry Berman (Story by Barry Berman and Leslie McNeil)
Produced byDavid Zanuck
Donna Roth
Starring
CinematographyJohn Schwartzman
Edited byCarol Littleton
Music byRachel Portman
Distributed byMetro-Goldwyn-Mayer
Release date
  • April 23, 1993
Running time98 minutes
CountryUnited States
LanguageEnglish
Box office$30 million[1]
Made $30M. Doesn’t qualify

It happened in the real battle too. When Virginia and North Carolina troops on Seminary Ridge saw Lee riding by, they all streamed out of the woods giving the rebel yell and waving their flags and cheering. The yankees across the field didn't know what the heck was going on. If they had any smarts about them, they could have shelled that position.
Besides accuracy, the lack of graphic violence wins it for me. Garnett rides into the charge, a riderless horse comes out of the smoke. We know what happened. Don’t need to see it.

One of the joys of living in Virginia
1654215840431.jpeg

One of the joys of living in Virginia
View attachment 653285

I was born in Charlottesville, raised in Culpeper. Basically the heart of the Confederacy. I really want to move back to Northern/central Virginia, and find a farm to live on. That's a good 30 years from now though.
Besides accuracy, the lack of graphic violence wins it for me. Garnett rides into the charge, a riderless horse comes out of the smoke. We know what happened. Don’t need to see it.

That imagery was perfect. You knew what happened, and you felt it.

The soundtrack makes it for me too. I'm a metal head, listen to death metal and everything. But I listen to that movies soundtrack all the time, even have a CD for my car.

Forum List

Back