You sign a petition to curb gay rights. Should your name be public?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wry Catcher, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,194
    How should the USSC vote, and why?

2. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    no

your vote is private and a petition is a process in voting. privacy in voting is fundamental.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,220
    Please tell me, what is the purpose of publicizing the names, other than voter intimidation?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    What is the usual standard? I don't know. There should not be any special standard for a specific petition.

Just to add fuel to the fire here..... Since there has never been publication of names before, what is the motivation for publicizing the names now? If it is only for purposes of voter intimidation. I think the motivation is chilling and dishonest.

5. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,541
    Isn't signing a petition an open declaration of your support? Who ever signed an anonymous petition?

6. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    I would agree with BM here: what is the usual standard? If the purpose of publicizing the names is simply to allow intimidation then that is wrong. One of our rights is petition for redress of grievance. Anything that impinges on that right is wrong.

7. Cold Fusion38

Cold Fusion38 SUPER GENIUS

Thanks Received:
    In the desert chasing that damn roadrunner.
    Ratings:
    +307
    I am pretty sure petitions are NOT protected.

8. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,194
    This question is soon to be debated in the USSC. I'm of the opinion that a petition is not the same as a vote, and ought to be made public. If someone believes strongly in changing a law by the initiative process, they ought to have the courage of their convictions.

9. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    IF that is the current standard, then cool. If it is not, then there is something fishy about choosing just this one issue.

My understanding here in Oregon is they just count the names in the local courthouses, then they choose two names and verify the validity of the signature, and use a sampling of 1/15th of the names to determine if the petitions are valid. Then they toss them.

I think the same practice obtains in CA. I think CA has a higher threshold for petitions than we do here in OR.

I have signed several petitions on making marijuana legal. I have never had a visit from the cops because of this. Lets make that the rule. If you signed a petition to eliminate what you thought was a bad law would have repercussions like that, would you sign?

This seems less about how petitions are done, and more about intimidation. And we can't allow intimidation into the process

10. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Public Petitions Are Public Property.

Petitioning the government is a public act. When gays pushed to get rights enacted by statute, I don't remember an argument for keeping names secret. Gays and their suppporters have always been inconvenienced, harrassed, and treated badly. Goes with the territory.

I remember supporting an openly gay candidate way back in the 70s...Elaine Noble. First openly gay state legislstor in US. She and many supporters had their lives threatened. Made some of us support her even more.

Elaine was and is, a wonderful woman. Her being gay was irrelevant to most. Her being hated and threatened was sickening