Yes, Palin did stop that bridge

The big question is, "why are guys like onthefence on the fence? Why do they keep believing proven liars? It's almost comical how the GOP are running their campaign. They are playing to the lowest common denominator in all of us. AND IT'S WORKING??? That's what blows my mind.

I read an article yesterday on how the GOP are boldly lying and how it's working. For example, in a recent poll, despite the fact that Obama has repeatedly said he won't raise your taxes unless you make $250K plus, 70 some percent believe he will raise their taxes.

That's how effective the GOP lie machine is when you combine it with the Corporate/Driveby/Mainstream Media. They are not liberal anymore my friends.

Virtually every media outlet -- from the Wall Street Journal to FactCheck.org -- that has investigated the claim has found it to be a wholesale fiction. Though Palin did abandon her onetime support for the bridge after winning Alaska's governorship, she did so only after federal dollars dried up. Moreover, she kept the federal funds already given to Alaska.

Palin Repeats "Bridge To Nowhere" Falsehood Again Despite Intense Criticism

So she kept funds already given to her, that evil bitch.

Do you have a link for this? Cause I'm pretty sure the money went to Katrina Relief.
"The bridge was intended to provide access to Ketchikan's airport on Gravina Island, which had a population of 50 in the 2000 U.S. Census. After McCain and others railed against it, Congress dropped the specific earmark but kept the money in a transportation bill for Alaska. "
And why did need this anyway with their large surplus! It obvouisly didn't go to Katrina, just like all the rest of the republicans she didn't give a shit about the people in New Orleans!

You are right Dave. This is what happens when we fight fire with fire. You talk about Obama's pork projects, then we talk about Palin's, then you defend your pork and we defend....

You love this argument Dave, because on the actual issues, you suck.

Alaskan's get paid to vote GOP. The GOP/Oil Companies own Alaska. What is it now, $3k a year to every Alaskan from the oil company and government tax breaks?

Oh, and Alaska imposes a windfall profit tax on the oil companies. See how dumb we are? They get us arguing over wedge issues and meanwhile, they are robbing us blind. YOu know it's true.

The Alaska state constitution claims common heritage rights of ownership of oil and other minerals for the people of the state as a whole. Citizen dividend checks are distributed every year in Alaska out of the interest payments to an oil royalties deposit account called the Alaska Permanent Fund (APF) created in 1976 after oil was discovered on the North Slope. The APF is a public trust fund - a diversified stock, bond and real estate portfolio - into which are deposited the oil royalties received from the corporations which extract the oil from the lands of Alaska. The first citizen dividend check from the interest of the APF was issued in 1982 and was for $1000 per every person for everyone in Alaska who had resided in the state for at least one year. Annual citizen dividends have been issued every year since then, for a total of more than $23,000 per person.

In 2003, each of the nearly 600,000 Alaska US citizens (residents of Alaska for at least one year) received a check for $1,107 from the APF.

Earth Rights Institute - Citizen Dividends And Oil Resource Rents

1) I talk about Obama pork projects? Nice try asshole... Only thing I mention with Obama is that he HAS requested pork/earmarks, and this is when others claim otherwise.
2) The GOP nor the oil companies own Alaska.. but yet another nice attempt at a liberal slogan...
3) Alaskan citizens benefit from the natural resources of their state. It's not taxed and redistributed in some robin hood class warfare scheme like you and your ilk would like, it is done as equal benefit.
4) I do not defend pork, but I admit it exists. I support elimination of earmarks where the pork is hidden in popular bills because the pork could not stand on it's own. Not all federal funding is pork, and Alaska gets funding for different things than MD or HI does. Some worthwhile and some that I personally would deem as being things the federal government has no business funding.
5) I have simply stated that Palin approached this situation the proper way. Recognizing the waste of government funds for this bridge. After the recognition she fought to have it stopped. If the funds were already coming (and we hear 2 versions of what happened... if funds were actually sent) and they were not used for the wasteful bridge and instead used for unwasteful projects, then I do not see where the huge objection is. Would it have been better to see Palin and Alaska have the money returned? Possibly.. But I don't think there is any history of that happening anywhere

The big question is, "why are guys like onthefence on the fence? Why do they keep believing proven liars? It's almost comical how the GOP are running their campaign. They are playing to the lowest common denominator in all of us. AND IT'S WORKING??? That's what blows my mind.

I read an article yesterday on how the GOP are boldly lying and how it's working. For example, in a recent poll, despite the fact that Obama has repeatedly said he won't raise your taxes unless you make $250K plus, 70 some percent believe he will raise their taxes.

That's how effective the GOP lie machine is when you combine it with the Corporate/Driveby/Mainstream Media. They are not liberal anymore my friends.

A personal atack on me? All I did was ask for a link. Fuck you.

Do you have a link for this? Cause I'm pretty sure the money went to Katrina Relief.
fyi
The money -- championed by Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, the powerful head of the Senate Appropriations Committee -- was earmarked to help construct a bridge between Ketchikan and Gravina Island in the Alaskan Inland Passage in the southeastern corner of the state. A ferry boat now provides transportation between the two points.

Lawmakers in the House and Senate decided to drop the project after it was derided by critics as "pork-barrel spending" on "the bridge to nowhere."

They also decided to ax $229 million for a bridge between Anchorage and the sparsely populated Knik area of Alaska. That span has been named "Don Young's Way" after Rep. Don Young, R-Alaska, who, as chairman of the House Transportation Committee, has helped send federal dollars to the bridge.

Under a compromise transportation spending bill, Alaska would still get the federal dollars -- but the money would not be specifically designated for the two bridges. As a result, Alaskan lawmakers and other officials would decide where to spend the money -- and they could opt to fund other transportation projects.

Alaska 'bridge to nowhere' funding gets nowhere / Lawmakers delete project after critics bestow derisive moniker

that's $452 million in total, they took in of our federal tax dollars, just for the two bridges, the one to nowhere and the Don YOung bridge, now to be used as they pleased.*

Last edited:
does anyone have a link to the list of earmarks Alaska received as well as the other states in 2007 and 2006?

I want to compute the earmark dollar per acre. If Alaska received earmark dollars for roads or infrastructure, per capita seems meaningless to me as a comparison tool.

does anyone have a link to the list of earmarks Alaska received as well as the other states in 2007 and 2006?

I want to compute the earmark dollar per acre. If Alaska received earmark dollars for roads or infrastructure, per capita seems meaningless to me as a comparison tool.
Per capita is the ONLY WAY to calculate such, fairly....square miles will tell you nothing, PEOPLE Pay taxes not land....???

Why would you want to do this, yes Alaska might have more acreage then every other state in the union doesn't mean they need as many roads as say a state like Illinois if they don't have the people to use them. There is more people in Chicago alone then the whole state of Alaska!
And who do they need these roads and bridges for Moose?

You can keep telling yourself that but that doesn't make it true.... I'm sorry the facts bother you...

CP, it isn't debatable at this point. She lied about saying thanks but no thanks. Everyone and their grandmother knows it.

But you want to keep telling the lie over and over because eventually it doesn't matter if it is a lie.

You should ask yourself if this is maybe how you became a republican. It seems to me they lie to you about everything. Maybe they lied when they wooed you into their party? Ever think of that?

But you don't mind because you even lie to yourself. How stupid.

So she kept funds already given to her, that evil bitch.

Hey, sorry about the personal attack.

Yes, that evil bitch. And that evil party to make this an issue when McCain's entire campaign is run by lobbyists.

And you evil bitch for even considering to vote for this party.

Virtually every media outlet -- from the Wall Street Journal to FactCheck.org -- that has investigated the claim has found it to be a wholesale fiction. Though Palin did abandon her onetime support for the bridge after winning Alaska's governorship, she did so only after federal dollars dried up. Moreover, she kept the federal funds already given to Alaska.

Palin Repeats "Bridge To Nowhere" Falsehood Again Despite Intense Criticism

You know what just dawned on me? Of course Palin is tough on corruption....that she isn't a part of. Bush too.

The mafia doesn't appreciate other criminals on their block cutting into their profits. Palin probably ran the whole rotten bunch of Republicans out of Alaska so she could have it all to herself.

And wasn't Bush also considered a Maverick? Can we really afford another one?

Hey, sorry about the personal attack.

Yes, that evil bitch. And that evil party to make this an issue when McCain's entire campaign is run by lobbyists.

And you evil bitch for even considering to vote for this party.
So you apologize for one insult with another, while trying to convonce me to vote for your party?:cuckoo:

So you apologize for one insult with another, while trying to convonce me to vote for your party?:cuckoo:

Oh come on! Don't be so sensitive. And I don't suspect I will convince anyone to either vote for or against either candidate. You are a smart guy, right? You know the economy sucks. You know it sucks because of what the GOP run by Tom Delay from 2000-2006 did while in power. You know the GOP started that war in Iraq for money. Not money for you and I, but for the top 1%. The last 8 years have been for the top 10% richest Americans.

And you know you aren't in the top 10%.

So you can vote against your own best interests if you want. No sweat off my balls. I already vote outside of my tax bracket. I'm rich and I vote for Democrats because I care about the people that work for me. I want them to have it a little better because either way, I'll always be rich.

I don't think it is fair that they take from the middle class to give it to us rich dudes. But if you think it's cool, so do I. :cuckoo::eusa_liar::eusa_whistle::eusa_pray:

OWNED!

Yes, Palin Did Stop That Bridge - WSJ.com

Mr. Obama delivered over $100 million in earmarks to Illinois last year and has requested nearly a billion dollars in pet projects since 2005. His running mate, Joe Biden, is still indulging in earmarks, securing over $90 million worth this year.

Mrs. Palin also killed the infamous Bridge to Nowhere in her own state. Yes, she once supported the project: But after witnessing the problems created by earmarks for her state and for the nation's budget, she did what others like me have done: She changed her position and saved taxpayers millions. Even the Alaska Democratic Party credits her with killing the bridge.

When the Senate had its chance to stop the Bridge to Nowhere and transfer the money to Katrina rebuilding, Messrs. Obama and Biden voted for the $223 million earmark, siding with the old boys' club in the Senate. And to date, they still have not publicly renounced their support for the infamous earmark.

The website for the Alaska Democrat Party had a page specifically giving Palin credit for stopping the bridge. That page "mysteriously" disappeared just a few days ago -about the same time that fact came to public attention. It included Palin's comment upon cancelling the project that "the state has higher priorities".
Alaska Democrats pull web page crediting Palin for killing Bridge to Nowhere Senate Conservatives Fund

Apparently they didn't do a thorough enough job of scrubbing the credit the Alaska Democrat Party gave Palin for that though. Link to a separate page that says "Gov. Palin recently cancelled the Gravina Island Bridge that would have connected the Alaska mainland with Gravina Island." No doubt this oversight will soon be corrected and this page will soon disappear as well. LOL Retire Ted Stevens Earmarks

Oh come on! Don't be so sensitive. And I don't suspect I will convince anyone to either vote for or against either candidate. You are a smart guy, right? You know the economy sucks. You know it sucks because of what the GOP run by Tom Delay from 2000-2006 did while in power. You know the GOP started that war in Iraq for money. Not money for you and I, but for the top 1%. The last 8 years have been for the top 10% richest Americans.

And you know you aren't in the top 10%.

So you can vote against your own best interests if you want. No sweat off my balls. I already vote outside of my tax bracket. I'm rich and I vote for Democrats because I care about the people that work for me. I want them to have it a little better because either way, I'll always be rich.

I don't think it is fair that they take from the middle class to give it to us rich dudes. But if you think it's cool, so do I. :cuckoo::eusa_liar::eusa_whistle::eusa_pray:

I bet you can "MOO" with the best of them.

Why would you want to do this, yes Alaska might have more acreage then every other state in the union doesn't mean they need as many roads as say a state like Illinois if they don't have the people to use them. There is more people in Chicago alone then the whole state of Alaska!
And who do they need these roads and bridges for Moose?

Without have the complete list of earmarks, it is pointless to debate a per capita? How much have earmarks went to colleges? How much to infrastructure? How much to small businesses?

What will happen to the North Dakota if you limit earmarks on a per capita basis? There is a bunch of wind up there and how will North Dakota do if earmarks for wind energy get handed out on a per capita basis?

Forum List

Back