Yeah...I'm another AOL refugee

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CueUp, Apr 2, 2009.

1. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

I'm not sure that Ayn Rand was a proponent of Capitalism. It seems to me that she was a proponent of humanism and the value of the contibution of the individual. She seemed also to abhore the profiteering of the hucksters who steal then promote.

Also she seemed to endorse the idea that the inspired and the creative should profit by virtue of their contribution to society and that society should be in some manner aware of of and indebted to those who are the inspired and the creative for the benefits they bestow.

Her world view that the the powered elite of this country hoodwinked the populace to be indebted to the elite. "The Mob" is referred to often in "Atlas Shrugged" and in "The Fountainhead". Her view of the power elite and the majority of society is not appreciative. Those that decieve are despised in her writing and those that are easily decieved are also dispised.

The creative and the inspired are her heroes and there are really pretty few of these people around.

Did she endorse a political philosophy?

2. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

Is that a reason to write her off? Should we do the same to Dickens and Whitman? Sinclair Lewis? John Mellancamp said that he had his whole life to write his first album and 3 months to write the second one.

I'm guessing that the first one was a reaction to his surroundings and the second was a reaction to a promise for money. (His second album was never even released.)

Some of the best literature in our libraries is a reaction to the surroundings of the author.

3. PinckleyToros7

PinckleyToros7 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [COLOR=[RIGHT]Hee,Hee,Hee,You are way too much,Xeye![/RIGHT]"Red"][/COLOR]

4. Rightwngcrkpot

Rightwngcrkpot Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah....there you are, pinkytoast! Damn, girl.............i sent ya two e-mails telling you where we all went and you didn't even open them!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ha ha ah ah

.................aaaaaaaah but we missed ya and i'm glad you're here.

Rwc: :)

5. AnnECUCherry

AnnECUCherry Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    C'mon, RWC. You know nobody opens mail from a right-wing crackpot!

Does Dbrod?!

6. AnnECUCherry

AnnECUCherry Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Pinckley, glad I saw you on that weird AOL Beta board and you came over. I don't think we want to mess with it -- according to one of the Beta testers, AOL is likely to shut it down with no notice.

7. Rightwngcrkpot

Rightwngcrkpot Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Anne wrote: C'mon, RWC. You know nobody opens mail from a right-wing crackpot! Does Dbrod?!

RWC: You and Dbrod BOTH read my e-mail message about the new message board, but Pinky Toast didn't because she never opened it. Neither did Matthew 154 nor SassyIrishLassl9. I tried to include Pagen Kmuck but AOL kept rejecting it as invalid address, and I could not remember the real screen name of Annerexic.

gezztoo Read: 4/5/2009 8:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    Spindleman51 Read: 4/5/2009 12:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    MombrandtII Read: 4/5/2009 9:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    Matthew154 (not yet read)
    IRabbit Read: 4/10/2009 9:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    Jim73CO Read: 4/6/2009 8:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    aka520a Read: 4/5/2009 11:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    change4us5 Read: 4/5/2009 11:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    pinckleytoros7@aim.com
    (not yet read)
    dbrod12152 Read: 4/5/2009 7:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    AnnECUCherry Read: 4/5/2009 11:49 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    TonyeyesColorado Read: 4/5/2009 10:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    sassyirishlassl9@aim.com
    (not yet read)
    RightwngCrackpot Read: 4/5/2009 11:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time

Sent: 4/5/2009 8:45 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time

8. AnnECUCherry

AnnECUCherry Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ooops! That I did! I forgot that I made an exception for you 'cause you're our lovable, harmless right-wing crackpot.

And I see that mail from you has an even higher approval rating than the president.

9. PinckleyToros7

PinckleyToros7 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So sorry,RWC,been very busy trying to save my career,it is good to see some remnants of the old bunch,this board might be a bit much for my style,I enjoy confrontations,jousting with nasty declarations and obscenities,we have enough "brilliant" journalists,lying through their teeth,this board seems to be one big Op-Ed page and more of the same bullshit of one-upsmanship and futuristic fantasies,I egged NorthEaster over here and he is not impressed,either,such is life,"You can never go home again",Thomas Wolfe was correct,besides,this board's format unravels my true identity as one computer illiterate,I need that? :eek::eek::eek:

10. Meister

Meister Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,154
    Your not on AOL any longer, so please get rid of the red lettering. Have you even looked at your post? Can you read it without trying to adjust your eyes? This is a grown up board...it's OK to just use the standard color of black. By the way...welcome to the board.