Writer's Corner - Elitist for sure, but honesty and a cold hard look at reality.

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by Martin Eden Mercury, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Tilly

Tilly Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Erob: Where the Sun Sets West of Phoenecia
    Ratings:
    +14,945
    I'd like to suggest that your incredibly condescending manner isn't helping you.
    Sorry if this 'opinion' is considered inflammatory.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tilly

Tilly Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Erob: Where the Sun Sets West of Phoenecia
    Ratings:
    +14,945
    Condescending.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,098
    Indeed.

Anybody can be a writer. There's a bell shaped curve for all groups...including writers. Some are good, a few are great, most are mediocre, many are bad and a few are pathetic failures.

Mem falls among the mediocre...a political shill with a condescending manner, convinced by delusion that all others should strive to achieve his self-proclaimed status.

BTW, the existence of an Op-Ed page (forum) implies that there is an editorial page (forum). Op-Ed means "opposite the editorial page". In most papers I read, the op-ed page offers opinionated writers a platform to publish opinions that oppose those of the staff editors whose bias is published on the editorial page.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. whitehall

whitehall Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,668
    I'm pleased that the USMB actually critiques potential "essays". I was afraid that it would be just another venue for idiots to copy mostly left wing web site junk. I might consider an essay about my favorite love to hate modern hero, the original Old Soldier, General Doug MacArthur if it's O.K with the forum.

5. Martin Eden Mercury

Martin Eden Mercury VIP Member Op-ed Contributor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Writer's Corner - Elitist for sure, but honesty and a cold hard look at reality.
    "Elitist for sure, but honesty and a cold hard look at reality will tell you that many people prefer to stay in the background, or to contribute in ways that do not demand much attention, dedication, and passion. Not everybody is, wants to, or even can be a writer." -Mem

"Mem falls among the mediocre...a political shill with a condescending manner, convinced by delusion that all others should strive to achieve his self-proclaimed status." -Asaratis

If I were a political shill it would be very interesting to know for whom, but even more interesting is the very disturbing idea that somebody could read this thread on a call for elitism, and somehow turn it into call for 'all others' to be more like me. What would be the point there?

The weirdly amusing sensation I get posting in this thread is one of delusion: delusion that I am somehow engaged in a replying back and forth with rational people. I wonder if the people replying in this thread are actually replying to what has been posted:

I am an op-ed contributer on the USMESSAGEBOARD.COM website. I take my role here, and the responsibility that comes with it very seriously. Two months ago, the Administrator cereal_killer put out a call for submissions for aspiring contributors. It is my opinion that as the process played out, it appears to have confused and soured some members on what was a pretty worthy goal. In my opinion, that goal was to empower members in reaching a wider audience, while increasing the visibility of USMB itself. USMB has members who have periodically wondered aloud how to attract flesh blood to the melting-pot that is USMB.

We all know from experience that message boards come and go. But, my observations lead me to believe, that people who inhabit and thrive on message boards are people who are attached to, and ultimately loyal to the practices of online engagement and involvement. And what better engagement and involvement is there than to be an op-ed contributer - a writer? Elitist for sure, but honesty and a cold hard look at reality will tell you that many people prefer to stay in the background, or to contribute in ways that do not demand much attention, dedication, and passion. Not everybody is, wants to, or even can be a writer. So cereal_killer's call in my opinion, was to the ego and vanity of a particular type of individual. Are you that individual? Because if you are, I ask you to review exactly what it was that ck was appealing to and asking for.

ck asked for writers who were up the challenge of writing an op-ed devoid of inflammatory and/or insulting language. I'm no innocent. I know most anything can and will be viewed as inflammatory by somebody out there; but there are agreed upon community standards in the public arena: a consensus if you will. If you or I were political operatives or candidates, I would hope we would want to be held to some sort of standard.

Now of course we all see people across the political spectrum, who violate those standards. They exist, and they are the exceptions that prove the rule. Interesting enough is the fact that because of our own partisan stances, we may even cheer or bemoan the violation at times. That's human nature, and the beast that is partisan politics. But I believe most all of us could agree; we would like to see some content and opinion that is neither inflammatory or wrapped up in insulting language meant to inflame. Having a writer's op-ed board that resembles the inflammatory content in most threads here, and taking those threads and giving them some sort of a higher privilege -- what would be the point? The Writer's Corner is a good idea waiting to be exploited by a few writers out there.

I believe ck wisely suggested aspiring contributors 'pick their favorite online rag, and check out their op-ed's, and get a taste' for what USMB is looking for. He also wrote that to "keep things balanced we will be looking for 3 or 6 writers in total. One or two from each party (Republican, Democrat and Libertarian/Independent). Yes Libertarian and Independent are two different parties, but in the spirit of this endeavor we will apply the KISS principle."

The search criteria as it evolved, expanded to seeking writers separate of any political party affiliation. It included an appeal for writers that could represent views across the ideological spectrum within America. Right now we have two writers on the op-ed team. We need a few more in order to flesh-out our team.

Opinions? Constructive criticisms?

Mem

or is this thread one where people with English as a second language are using a web based translator to read and reply? Is everyone here a native English language speaker? What am I missing?

in truly heartfelt condescension
    Mem

6. Martin Eden Mercury

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +426
    The web has changed much in the way of how media gets presented. I come across op-ed columns on the web. The format is totally different than physical newspapers. Most op-ed pages in American newspapers have opposing views on the same page, or sometimes on different days. The op-ed pages do attempt a balanced offering. This is what I have been looking for with the format we have to work with. How that figures into Asaratis' odd statement that op-ed pages consist of 'opinions that oppose those of the staff editors whose bias is published on the editorial page' is difficult to comprehend. For better or worse, we live in the 21st century, digital world.

There are currently only two contributers. While I would love to stay independent, it is difficult to offer a balanced offering of opinions if the only other contributor is far along one end in the political spectrum. I do not pretend no bias, but bias is not ideology. Unlike decades ago, political polling today consists of looking for Republicans and Republican-leaning Independents, and the same on the Democratic side. Very few honest men and women would insist to be smack in the middle of any spectrum. To actually be there, would make one an aberration deserving a laboratory study. But to suggest I am a political shill is truly odd.

By posting in this thread outside of the Writer's Corner, I hope to debunk some of the nonsense that is floating around the forum. I guess like cats and old folks, some people here find any change not spiked with catnip or a fiber supplement, to be upsetting. Starting this thread I had no idea a reasonable call for input could take such a weird turn. But, I should have known. Shit happens.

Mem

7. Martin Eden Mercury

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +426
    "Shit happens."

I wrote that three months ago. I have to wonder what opportunities people have passed up, simply because they cannot see beyond the trees.