Zone1 Would you marry a person of another religion?

What vows? My husband never vowed to raise children Catholic. During marriage preparation (not help inside the church building) we were asked about children. Yes, we wanted children, yes I would be raising them in the Catholic faith, and my husband, though not taking part in this, would not stand in the way of children being raised Catholic.

Of course, had anything happened to me he wouldn't have raised the kids Catholic! Are you really that dense? And now you "know" that we must not have ever talked about it! Yes, you actually must be that dense.
It's part of the Catholic wedding vows

“Have you come here freely and without reservation to give yourself to each other in marriage?”

“Will you honor each other as man and wife for the rest of your lives?”

and, “Will you accept children lovingly from God, and bring them up according to the law of Christ and his Church?”

What vows? My husband never vowed to raise children Catholic. During marriage preparation (not help inside the church building) we were asked about children. Yes, we wanted children, yes I would be raising them in the Catholic faith, and my husband, though not taking part in this, would not stand in the way of children being raised Catholic.

Of course, had anything happened to me he wouldn't have raised the kids Catholic! Are you really that dense? And now you "know" that we must not have ever talked about it! Yes, you actually must be that dense.

You seem to not know that the question mark at the end of a sentence means.

And now you were at our wedding! I already explained this. But...of course you know best and what "really" happened.
So I guess the ceremony you engaged in was completely different than the average Catholic wedding service

So I guess the ceremony you engaged in was completely different than the average Catholic wedding service
I was a Catholic marrying an atheist. In the Catholic faith we have marriage preparation. At least then, when I, a Catholic, said to my priest, I would be marrying an atheist, the priest talked to us and then he spoke to the bishop.

The priest had known me for years. He knew my grandparents also had a Catholic-atheist marriage. He also knew my husband had no objection to me raising our children in the Catholic faith. Imagine that! A grandfather and a grandson-in-law supporting their wives and children in their faith.

I get it! Your morals and your integrity are so much greater that you would never support the beliefs of anyone else. Were you a priest, you would not work with a couple over vows that were acceptable to all. There would be no trust, no compromise. It would be the typical, My way or the highway. I happen to believe--and have experienced--that God works with what we can give Him and guides us onward from there. Both my husband and I wanted a happy marriage that works. And, a happy marriage it is what we have enjoyed. Having children of faith bothers him no more than having a wife of faith.

Maybe someday you will recognize truly respecting other's beliefs (or non-belief) can be a great blessing.

I was a Catholic marrying an atheist. In the Catholic faith we have marriage preparation. At least then, when I, a Catholic, said to my priest, I would be marrying an atheist, the priest talked to us and then he spoke to the bishop.

The priest had known me for years. He knew my grandparents also had a Catholic-atheist marriage. He also knew my husband had no objection to me raising our children in the Catholic faith. Imagine that! A grandfather and a grandson-in-law supporting their wives and children in their faith.

I get it! Your morals and your integrity are so much greater that you would never support the beliefs of anyone else. Were you a priest, you would not work with a couple over vows that were acceptable to all. There would be no trust, no compromise. It would be the typical, My way or the highway. I happen to believe--and have experienced--that God works with what we can give Him and guides us onward from there. Both my husband and I wanted a happy marriage that works. And, a happy marriage it is what we have enjoyed. Having children of faith bothers him no more than having a wife of faith.

Maybe someday you will recognize truly respecting other's beliefs (or non-belief) can be a great blessing.

I wouldn't lie during such an important moment in my life.

But hey if you're good with that then you just be you.

I wouldn't lie during such an important moment in my life.

But hey if you're good with that then you just be you.
So you think we lied. I shall not pursue your lie. You know I speak the truth--and as the quote goes, "You can't handle the truth." Subject is now closed.

So you think we lied. I shall not pursue your lie. You know I speak the truth--and as the quote goes, "You can't handle the truth." Subject is now closed.

I think an atheist going through the motions of a religious ceremony is not being honest. How can he be?

I think an atheist going through the motions of a religious ceremony is not being honest. How can he be?
She explained it quite well actually. I find it odd that you would confuse her husband's tolerance for dishonesty. Seems almost like you have an agenda here. Because I can't understand how you can equate her husband's love for her with dishonesty.

She explained it quite well actually. I find it odd that you would confuse her husband's tolerance for dishonesty. Seems almost like you have an agenda here. Because I can't understand how you can equate her husband's love for her with dishonesty.

I didn't say anything about their reltionship was dishonest

I said any atheist who goes through the motions of a religious ceremony is being dishonest.

Any love between a couple is not predicated on any religious ceremony.

I said any atheist who goes through the motions of a religious ceremony is being dishonest.
Meaning that if you went through a ceremony in a place of worship, you would be being dishonest to your hatred of religion...and by association, of God. Your goal is to show disdain, and being respectful would not be true to your goal.

People with an axe to grind are not true atheists, and you have admitted you are not an atheist. The atheists in my life are different. I also have a nephew who is completely color blind. He accepts that some people see color, but he doesn't. He doesn't go on rants that people who see color are making the whole thing up. The same with true atheists. Simply because they cannot see/experience God, they don't accuse those of us who do as making the whole thing up.

Just as my nephew does not refuse to watch a show that claims to be in color, the atheists in my family don't refuse to step into a church when a family event takes place. Just as watching an show in color is not a profession by my nephew that he sees color, stepping into a church is not a profession that atheists believe in God. What they do believe is that is that their loved ones do fathom the presence of God that they do not or cannot.

Just as my nephew does not despise color or people who people who see color, to me a true atheist does not despise God/religion or the people who do encompass God/religion in their own lives.

See the difference? For them, there is no God to avoid. To you, God must be avoided at all costs. They hold no emotion of God, but you do--to the point you cannot even bear to capitalize God--and must show up in religion forums to make your displeasure known.

Meaning that if you went through a ceremony in a place of worship, you would be being dishonest to your hatred of religion...and by association, of God. Your goal is to show disdain, and being respectful would not be true to your goal.

People with an axe to grind are not true atheists, and you have admitted you are not an atheist. The atheists in my life are different. I also have a nephew who is completely color blind. He accepts that some people see color, but he doesn't. He doesn't go on rants that people who see color are making the whole thing up. The same with true atheists. Simply because they cannot see/experience God, they don't accuse those of us who do as making the whole thing up.

Just as my nephew does not refuse to watch a show that claims to be in color, the atheists in my family don't refuse to step into a church when a family event takes place. Just as watching an show in color is not a profession by my nephew that he sees color, stepping into a church is not a profession that atheists believe in God. What they do believe is that is that their loved ones do fathom the presence of God that they do not or cannot.

Just as my nephew does not despise color or people who people who see color, to me a true atheist does not despise God/religion or the people who do encompass God/religion in their own lives.

See the difference? For them, there is no God to avoid. To you, God must be avoided at all costs. They hold no emotion of God, but you do--to the point you cannot even bear to capitalize God--and must show up in religion forums to make your displeasure known.

If that ceremony was predicated on a belief in the religious institution and the god it worships yes that would be dishonest of me if i claimed I was an atheist.

And I don't despise people for any reason. If I claim that I am an atheist but then agree to go through the motions of a religious ceremony I am doing a disservice to myself and to the people who believe in the church the ceremony and the god involved.

I am sure you will agree that merely observing a religious ceremony and participating in one are 2 completely different things.

I didn't say you despise people. I said you despise God, and that, by definition, denotes a belief in God. One doesn't despise what doesn't exist.

I have told you over and over that I do not know if any such beings called gods exist and it is impossible to despise anything unless I agree to the existence of that thing.

I have problems with religions and I have made that very clear.

I have told you over and over that I do not know if any such beings called gods exist and it is impossible to despise anything unless I agree to the existence of that thing.

I have problems with religions and I have made that very clear.
so much so you attack those that dont have a problem with religion I suggest you mind your own business and leave those of us who believe alone, after all how are we hurting you by believing?

so much so you attack those that dont have a problem with religion I suggest you mind your own business and leave those of us who believe alone, after all how are we hurting you by believing?
Attack?

Don't be a snowflake.

If you want to be left alone and never be challenged then don't post shit on the internet.

Forum List

Back