Would you listen to God?

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
If you had absolute proof God existed, would you listen to what He had to tell you and do what He said?

Only if He Spoke to me directly rather than through some self serving intermediary with an agenda.

Oh, and I'd need to see ID.

Though a miracle or some other similar magic trick would do.

I can honestly say No. Even if he was God how would I know which stories are true. Old testament, new testament, torah, koran....etc. What I'm saying is how do we know he's not here trying to kill us all again because I'm not going to help with that.

Yes I know because I'm not religious so god wouldn't come and talk to me.

I would to a point. If God told me to kill someone for example, I wouldn't do it.

I don't believe the bible stories where God told people to offer up human sacrifices and I don't believe a benevolent God would ask me to do it so up to a point, I would listen. Then I would start doubting the absolute proof that it was actually God.

If you had absolute proof God existed, would you listen to what He had to tell you and do what He said?

Not any more than I would to anyone that I would speak with, who makes sense and who I could respect. Doesn't matter how powerful God is; power does not bestow righteousness. Might alone never makes right. You talk with believers, and ultimately for them it's always about the argument of God's Power (you do what he says or you'll get a whuppin'!) instead of the power of God's arguments (If you want a (lame) example of those, read the Book of Job).

Absolute proof negates the need for faith. Faith is the very thing that makes it possible for God to lead us. What would "absolute proof of God" actually look like? Would it mean that we could then tell God what to do? Would we have a choice when He tells us what to do? Could we just use Him? Where would faith be? What would be the place for waiting and trusting, and believing that God has eternal life for us? What would our relationship with God be like? Would it be personal?

Absolute proof negates the need for faith. Faith is the very thing that makes it possible for God to lead us. What would "absolute proof of God" actually look like? Would it mean that we could then tell God what to do? Would we have a choice when He tells us what to do? Could we just use Him? Where would faith be? What would be the place for waiting and trusting, and believing that God has eternal life for us? What would our relationship with God be like? Would it be personal?
Absolute faith can lead to absolute proof God can give you....Seek the kingdom first the rest will be added to you.

No.

To me the man shaking his fist at the heavens while cursing god is a hero.

I'm curious. Why is faith necessary? I mean, what is the mechanism of faith that makes it necessary? Let me see if I can't pose this question more articulately: Why would one have faith? What causes one to have faith and ff there was absolute proof of God, faith would no longer be necessary; wouldn't that be better for everyone not to go to Hell and make for a better world? If not, why? And this isn't a challenge I'm posing but an honest question because I don't understand the nature of faith in a religious sense.

Forum List

Back