Worst oil spill? Not so fast

The T

George S. Patton Party
May 24, 2009
What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
OILSPILLS.jpg

How Does it measure up exactly?

Is this a REASON to CEASE Offshore drilling?

NOT so much in MY opinion.

HOW Does this one rate?

This Oil Disaster in Perspective, and a Reminder of Saddam's Wells

BACKGROUND:

• AP: Feds Open Criminal Probe of Gulf Oil Spill
• NYDN: BP Told Government in 2008 it Could Handle Oil Spill 10 Times the Size of One Plaguing Gulf
• Wall Street Journal: Gulf Oil Spill Clips $100 Billion from Value of Connected Outfits
spc.gif

So wait, you're getting your information from the same guy who said the animals won't mind the oil because it's natural? :cuckoo:

As for the numbers, it's not far from over yet.

Your word is worthless as long as you have a quote from Fat Boy Limbaugh as your signature.

So because it's not the absolute worst in history according to your source...yet...it's no reason to even pause and consider alternatives? How bad does it have to get before it's legitimate to ask questions? Brilliant "premise" there. :cuckoo:

he's wrong because he includes things on the graph such as all average yearly oil spilled for a previous year while NOT including all the OTHER oil spilled so far for near half the year of 2010....he only listed the one oil spill in the gulf.

It is an average number of all spills, so it is there for comparison.

This spill wouldn't change the average by one pixel.

It is an average number of all spills, so it is there for comparison.

This spill wouldn't change the average by one pixel.

If this is the figure for "on average yearly spills'', then a better reading of how we are doing this year, compared to the average, we would need to know what else has been spilled this year and add that to the gulf spill then compare 5 full months of this year with a prorated average 5 months of the average yearly spill....

The average yearly spill, has no relation to the Gulf spill, without the additional figures I discussed.

I know, I know, I know....I am an analytical nut....I love numbers and analyzing them....

Worst oil spill? Not so fast
spc.gif

Technically, the oil slick in the gulf wasn't "spilled", but rather "ejected".

I consider a spill as a situation where liquid is dropped from a height (such as from a boat, truck, or pipeline) and it falls to the surface which it contaminates.

In this case, the oil is being "ejected" from the ocean floor and is floating up to the surface.

I would also consider oil oozing slowly from the ground to be a form of "ejection" rather than a "spill", however I would classify this as an "ooze" if it is not coming out in a fast stream of oil. A faster release of oil that is coming out in bubbles would be a "gush", and if a stream of oil is erupting directly from thr ground would be an "ejaculation".

But those classifications are just mine...I accept that the vast majority of people lump all oil release as a "spill", but they are incorrect.

This freak Tommy is gloating about an enviromental disastar to score some kind of political point?

The neo-cons are losing it.

Now watch him use cuss words and tell me to BRING IT!

What if his booze got destroyed by an oil spill, he wouldn't be laughing then.

Oil spills have been few, success rate of drilling has been very high. The problem is that when there is a spill, people in charge use outdated, and mostly useless, technology in an attempt to clean it up. While looking at the chart, one of the largest spills was
in the Persian Gulf in 1991 or so. In 1991 the technology used to clean up 85% of the oil
was to suck it up from the water into supertankers, offload the water/oil, separate it, dump the water, and repeat until the mess was cleaned up. That can't be done after the oil has
reached land. Now, wouldn't you think that Obama, or someone in his employ, would think of using this technology before the coast of Fl and other states are covered with oil?

Oil spills have been few, success rate of drilling has been very high. The problem is that when there is a spill, people in charge use outdated, and mostly useless, technology in an attempt to clean it up. While looking at the chart, one of the largest spills was
in the Persian Gulf in 1991 or so. In 1991 the technology used to clean up 85% of the oil
was to suck it up from the water into supertankers, offload the water/oil, separate it, dump the water, and repeat until the mess was cleaned up. That can't be done after the oil has
reached land. Now, wouldn't you think that Obama, or someone in his employ, would think of using this technology before the coast of Fl and other states are covered with oil?

So when it comes to creating the risk and reaping the profit it's all private, but the responsibility for cleaning up if it goes south is public? Why shouldn't it be incumbent upon the companies profiting from the drilling to have a plan in place and ready to go in case something like this happens?

So when it comes to creating the risk and reaping the profit it's all private, but the responsibility for cleaning up if it goes south is public? Why shouldn't it be incumbent upon the companies profiting from the drilling to have a plan in place and ready to go in case something like this happens?

That's what I want to know. Why didn't BP have a plan(s) in place in case something happened? While a blowout like this is uncommon it's not impossible. Why didn't they drill relief wells (will they fix the problem?) from the get go? Doesn't matter if gov regulated this safety precaution or not . . . . BP should have done this as standard procedure. Period.

I imagine like anything else, the more safety factor that is built into the production process, the higher the overhead and that increase is passed onto the customer. People have no clue how dependent they are on corporations taking risks. We simple could not afford the life style that we have become dependent on.

OILSPILLS.jpg

How Does it measure up exactly?

Is this a REASON to CEASE Offshore drilling?

NOT so much in MY opinion.

HOW Does this one rate?

<Snip>

You know somehow how much has been gushing out of there to make this determination?

What, did Rush tell you?

They won't cease offshore, btw. BP won't even go out of business but they'd better be paying for this.

That's what I want to know. Why didn't BP have a plan(s) in place in case something happened? While a blowout like this is uncommon it's not impossible. Why didn't they drill relief wells (will they fix the problem?) from the get go? Doesn't matter if gov regulated this safety precaution or not . . . . BP should have done this as standard procedure. Period.

There are now, and it should.

Most other countries require blow off valves and relief wells on all under water wells. Deregulation...

Relief well best hope for sealing oil leak - Disaster in the Gulf- msnbc.com
But the best-case scenario of sealing the leak is two relief wells being drilled diagonally into the gushing well — tricky business that won't be ready until August

I imagine like anything else, the more safety factor that is built into the production process, the higher the overhead and that increase is passed onto the customer. People have no clue how dependent they are on corporations taking risks. We simple could not afford the life style that we have become dependent on.

Well, let us look at that statement. Oil is about $80 a barrel. That well is gushing maybe 10,000 barrels, maybe twice that, a day. So they are losing at least $800,000 a day. And the valve that would have prevented this, cost $500,000.

If we know of other corperations taking risks like BP took, in view of the known consequences of failure, then we need to shut those corperations down, and imprison their executive for criminal endangerment.

It measures up to the single biggest environmental disaster this nation has had. And it is just starting.

It is time to measure risks versus gain. Why should we even consider any more offshore drilling? The oil is not kept for the US, it goes on the world market. Time to get off the petroleum tit, period.

Now people like you, T, exclaim your patriotism, were it like a sewer stained t-shirt. And then support continueing to fund both sides of the war on terror. Support send out our money for a product that we immediatly burn, degrading the air we breath, and creating another environmental disaster in the form of global warming. And accuse anybody that does not accept the words of a fat assed degenerate junkie of lacking patriotism.:cuckoo:

There are now, and it should.

Most other countries require blow off valves and relief wells on all under water wells. Deregulation...

Relief well best hope for sealing oil leak - Disaster in the Gulf- msnbc.com
But the best-case scenario of sealing the leak is two relief wells being drilled diagonally into the gushing well &#8212; tricky business that won't be ready until August

I know they're drilling the relief wells . . .now.Why weren't they in place prior? Deregulation? How bout BP do the safe thing regardless of whether it's regulated? Bastards.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back