Worst Charities

It's big business. You want to help kids with cancer but you're afraid to donate anything because it's most likely a scam. The last thing you want is to waste your donation on some opportunistic creep who wants to cash in on people's emotions and charitable nature. Bastards.

Which is why I never donate to any cause. My charity of choice is the dog pound. I take blankets, food, toys. When the cancer society helped me, I took pocketed bras I would not wear or could not wear, wigs I bought or were given to me, and offers of assistance in some of their workshops.
I don't trust anybody when it comes to charities. The charity usually keeps most of the money and the people or animals they claim to help never see a dime.

Which is why I never donate to any cause. My charity of choice is the dog pound. I take blankets, food, toys. When the cancer society helped me, I took pocketed bras I would not wear or could not wear, wigs I bought or were given to me, and offers of assistance in some of their workshops.
I don't trust anybody when it comes to charities. The charity usually keeps most of the money and the people or animals they claim to help never see a dime.
I choose to donate to people. There is never a question on where my money goes and what it gets - I know EXACTLY what it gets and who it helps. There is no better charity work than donating your time, money and effort directly to those that are in need of it.

This stuff makes a cynic out of all of us. We are going to start using the Salvation Army this year, as the other annoying aspect is some of the salaries in these charities. Interesting lists below.

America s Top 50 charities How well do they rate - CSMonitor.com

The 50 Largest U.S. Charities List - Forbes

Pete always offers another perspective. "Can we be sure that our donation will really get to the people who need it? Doesn’t most aid get swallowed up in administrative costs, or waste, or downright corruption? Isn’t the real problem the growing world population, and is there any point in saving lives until the problem has been solved? These questions can all be answered: but I also point out that even if a substantial proportion of our donations were wasted, the cost to us of making the donation is so small, compared to the benefits that it provides when it, or some of it, does get through to those who need our help, that we would still be saving lives at a small cost to ourselves – even if aid organizations were much less efficient than they actually are." Peter Singer The Drowning Child and the Expanding Circle by Peter Singer

I do the same as FA_Q2.

I prefer to deal with people outright.

It's funny that you have brought this up. I think I read through your thread on feeding the hungry. It was maybe a day or two later that I saw an advert on tv for feeding the Appalachian kids. I thought at that time, how far removed from society do you have to be to not realize what is happening in the US that requires an advert?

Somebody takin' advantage of wounded veterans inna get rich quick scheme...

Wounded Warrior Project Accused of Wasting Donor Money
Jan 27, 2016 - The charity for wounded veterans, the Wounded Warrior Project, is facing accusations of using donor money toward excessive spending on conferences and parties instead of on recovery programs, according to a CBS News report.
Army Staff Sergeant Erick Millette, who returned from Iraq in 2006 with a bronze star and a purple heart, told CBS News he admired the charity's work and took a job with the group in 2014 but quit after two years. "Their mission is to honor and empower wounded warriors, but what the public doesn't see is how they spend their money," he told CBS News. Millette said he witnessed lavish spending on staff, with big "catered" parties. "Going to a nice fancy restaurant is not team building. Staying at a lavish hotel at the beach here in Jacksonville, and requiring staff that lives in the area to stay at the hotel is not team building," he told CBS News.

According to the charity's tax forms obtained by CBS News, spending on conferences and meetings went from $1.7 million in 2010, to $26 million in 2014, which is the same amount the group spends on combat stress recovery. Two former employees, who were so fearful of retaliation they asked that CBS News not show their faces on camera, said spending has skyrocketed since Steven Nardizzi took over as CEO in 2009, pointing to the 2014 annual meeting at a luxury resort in Colorado Springs. "He rappelled down the side of a building at one of the all hands events. He's come in on a Segway, he's come in on a horse," one employee told CBS News.

About 500 staff members attended the four-day conference in Colorado, which CBS News reported cost about $3 million. Wounded Warrior Project declined CBS News' interview requests for Nardizzi, but instead sent Director of Alumni and a recipient of their services, Capt. Ryan Kules, who denied there was excessive spending on conferences. "It's the best use of donor dollars to ensure we are providing programs and services to our warriors and families at the highest quality," he said. Kules added the charity did not spend $3 million on the Colorado conference, but he was not there and was unable to say what it did cost. He also told CBS News that the charity does not spend money on alcohol or engages in any other kind of excessive spending.

Wounded Warrior Project Accused of Wasting Donor Money | Military.com

Weedin' out the wheat from the chaff...
icon_cool.gif

Nonprofit Organizations for Veterans
With more than 7,000 U.S.-based nonprofits helping veterans and military families, how do you know which are respected and reputable?
If you're looking for a nonprofit to work for or donate your time or money to, consider the GreatNonProfits.org list of 31 Top-Rated Veterans Nonprofits. The list is based on user ratings, with the criterion of helping those in need. You might also find this list useful if you are a veteran looking for help as you transition to the civilian world. What follows is a rundown of top nonprofits that provide a broad spectrum of help, from providing counseling and scholarships, to free event tickets.
Ten of the Top-Rated Veteran Nonprofits Here are ten of the top-rated nonprofits, going off of number of reviews and high ratings combined.

Veteran Tickets Foundation, Tempe, AZ (Rating: 4.89 stars, 2019 reviews)
Supports military, veterans, and their families by providing free tickets to sporting events, concerts, and family activities (with a small delivery fee).

Operation Troop Appreciation, West Mifflin, PA (Rating: 4.98 stars, 241 reviews)
Provides wish list items for deployed military units across the globe, with a special focus on those serving in Afghanistan, the Middle East, and Africa. The wish list items are intended to ease the burden of deployment, contribute to safety, and enable our troops to perform more effectively.

veterannonprofitorgs.jpg

VeteranNonProfitOrgs​

Reel American Heroes Foundation, Woodbridge, VA (Rating: 5 stars, 202 reviews)
Works with military hospitals and military bases to provide recreational therapy for our nation's wounded Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, disabled veterans, and combat veterans by getting them out on the water to fish and duck hunt.

Freedom Alliance, Dulles, VA (Rating: 4.95 stars, 184 reviews)
Aims to advance the American heritage of freedom by honoring and encouraging military service, defending the sovereignty of the United States, and promoting a strong national defense. They do this through such programs as scholarships for the children of veterans.

MORE

See also:

Programs to Ease Your Military Transition
Vets find art, therapy or other means of helping them in the transition and even dealing with PTSD. Below are three such programs.
I recently read at the LitQuake's event for veteran writers, as part of LitCrawl, and was touched by my fellow writer's story. He, like many other veterans who have become writers, has seen a big change in his life because of writing. It was what helped him transition into the civilian world and cope with his PTSD. But writing isn't the only way. Veterans find many forms of art, therapy, or other means of helping them in the transition and even dealing with PTSD. Below are three such programs that assist in the transition process.

easeyourmilitarytransition.jpg

Riding Horses into the Civilian World

Some veterans are looking to therapeutic horseback riding to help with their transition. Merriam Mashatt, a teacher at the Back in the Saddle (BITS) program at Lift Me Up! (LMU), had the following to say: "Our BITS riders learn that horses are remarkably kind, honest and compassionate animals. The time they spend building a relationship with a horse is so healing because our participants learn to trust these amazing animals and vice versa. One of our vets said it was truly the first time she learned to trust since returning home from Iraq."

Therapeutic horseback riding is a great example of equine therapy for veterans and active duty military. BITS sessions assist veterans coping with a variety of conditions including traumatic brain injuries, depression, and post-traumatic stress. The program also offers opportunities for family members to join in during special events. These service members are provided the opportunity to experience the healing power of horses in a safe and supportive environment. Connecting with horses in this way promotes physical strength such as building core muscles and improving balance, as well as promoting a general sense of mental well-being and calm. Lift Me Up! is located in Great Falls, Virginia and has been serving the community for over 40 years. All BITS services are offered at no charge to qualified participants due to the generous donations from the local community. There are a limited number of spaces open for new riders.

Transition through Comedy and the Arts

Forum List

Back