CDZ Words of wisdom from Warren Buffett

I am not suggesting that. Quite the opposite, whether the quote is real or not, the message is spot on.

I personally don't think it is...

20 years ago, Nazis were reviled and nobody would open declare themselves one.

Now they are invited to the White House as honored guests. And people like Mac will bemoan when colleges don't let someone like Richard Spenser or the "Bell Curve" Racist try to give their racism an intellectual bent.

The thing about it was, before Hitler turned millions of people into Ash and Lampshades, there was a whole school of thought in the Universities preaching White Supremacy, Social Darwinism, Eugenics and a whole slew of other toxic philosophies that Hitler put into action. It wasn't like Hitler came up with any of this crap on his own.

So, um, yeah, I'm perfectly good with the universities putting out the "unwelcome mat" to Nazis.
The reason we are still talking about Nazis in this day and age is due to the emotional response it elicits. Hitler is dead and gone.

Some independents really can see things pretty clearly. You are not one of them.
So most independents would agree with you that Buffett is only talking about the Left.

I do love this place.

No, I am not saying that. I'm not saying that no one on the right gets "emotional" when words are said. But the Left is obviously more guilty of this, since they invented the phrase "words are violence" and are the ones that have "safe spaces" for words that hurt and "trigger warnings" all over books for college.

This seems obvious to me.

Some independents really can see things pretty clearly. You are not one of them.
So most independents would agree with you that Buffett is only talking about the Left.

I do love this place.

No, I am not saying that. I'm not saying that no one on the right gets "emotional" when words are said. But the Left is obviously more guilty of this, since they invented the phrase "words are violence" and are the ones that have "safe spaces" for words that hurt and "trigger warnings" all over books for college.

Of course it does.

The reason we are still talking about Nazis in this day and age is due to the emotional response it elicits. Hitler is dead and gone.

Uh, frankly, I look at Trump and I just see history repeating itself, and I'm talking as someone whose Grandparents fled Germany in the 1930's.

We have-

1) Calling the Free Press an enemy of the people
2) Putting people into prison camps
3) Disregard for international agreements and alliances
4) Expansion of state power and use of agencies to oppress people.
5) Open appeals to racism, and blaming minorities for problems.
6) Militarism

Here's the thing about Nazism. If people as smart as Germans could fall for that, people as STUPID as Americans don't stand a chance.

Unless someone calls shenanigans on it.

For everyone from college students to political partisans:
40392896_10216016730906714_4496228467058147328_n.jpg

Too many people today get offended by words that once did not bother us.

In recent months I have accepted my shortcomings and eccentric ways of life and realized that it is the failure of the other person if they can not accept me.

We as a society have gotten to the point that even a compliment is a insut to some and gone are the days of agreeing to disagree.

In the end many will gloss over what ypu posted and point their crooked little finger at the other side when it is most of us that should read those words and live by them...

frankly, it seems to me that you are picking out certain touchstones that really don't reflect what campus life is at all. I have two nieces and a nephew in college right now, and not a one of them has complained about any of these things that have you up at night.

I do love this place.

Of course it does.

Because it is obvious.

For everyone from college students to political partisans:
40392896_10216016730906714_4496228467058147328_n.jpg

In recent months I have accepted my shortcomings and eccentric ways of life and realized that it is the failure of the other person if they can not accept me.

We as a society have gotten to the point that even a compliment is a insut to some and gone are the days of agreeing to disagree.

In the end many will gloss over what ypu posted and point their crooked little finger at the other side when it is most of us that should read those words and live by them...
This is where we are now. The immediate impulse is to attack the other side. We're so tribal now that even words like Buffett's can set us off.

The irony is breathtaking.

This thread has been a perfect microcosm of that condition.

I do love this place.

Of course it does.

Because it is obvious.

I do love this place.

Of course it does.

Is it not obvious, Mac? Make your case that the Right is equally guilty as the Left. Stop laughing and calling me names. Make your case.

Maybe we should have gotten offended by those words.

Hey, things that didn't use to bother us.

Yup, characters like Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse doing openly racist stuff.

Okay, I gave this challenge to Mac a while back, and he kept dodging it, so I'll give you a shot at it.

What word do you want to use SOOOOOOO badly that you can't now, because of political correctness?

I do love this place.

Of course it does.

Because it is obvious.

I do love this place.

Of course it does.

Is it not obvious, Mac? Make your case that the Right is equally guilty as the Left. Stop laughing and calling me names. Make your case.
This is one of the difficulties I have in dealing with partisans. I have never said, at any time, that the two sides are "equal" in any way. Yet, as a result of your partisan hypersensitivity, that is what you perceive.

Not surprisingly, I have left wingers who use that same word with me, although I never use it.

To be as clear as I can, I think the Left is indeed worse on this issue than the Right. Between PC and their constant state of being "offended", it's one of the issues on which I disagree strongly with them.

However...

The Right has its hypersensitive outrage machine as well, with the current Kaepernick drama as a perfect example. While the Left just loves to be offended, the Right just loves to be outraged.

Clean your own house first. Then point the finger. I wonder if that makes any sense to you, on any level.

I know I just wasted about two minutes of typing there.

Everyone in this country is being manipulated with emotional stimulants. Left and right, makes no difference. True power comes from recognizing this and thinking about things logically. Clearly there are too many people unable to recognize this and continue to look at things from a partisan perspective, a perspective that they are emotionally connected with.

This is where we are now. The immediate impulse is to attack the other side. We're so tribal now that even words like Buffett's can set us off.

The irony is breathtaking.

This thread has been a perfect microcosm of that condition.

Some people don't understand the power of internal control, until they understand they are going to be okay, to the best of their own abilities, no matter what any side does.

The point is this: The Left has raised victimhood to a virtue. The more things you can find that are offensive, the more virtuous you are (unless you are a white male, then you are, by definition an "oppressor").

So if someone wants to come to a campus and give a talk about how abortion is a moral abomination, or how incarceration rates for Blacks are statistically warranted, or there are genetic justifications for women being rare among Nobel laureates, then those topics are considered "hate speech." Because "someone" might find them offensive.

Which is bullshit. Truth cannot be hateful, particularly on a college campus, where the bread & butter should be the free exchange of ideas, particularly controversial ones.

Do you get it now?

Der Fuhrer Trump is the one WHINING ALL THE TIME.
Flynn; he is a good man & he was treated so unfairly.
Manafort; he is a good man & he was treated so unfairly.
Cohen, he was a good man & he was treated so unfairly UNTIL he fvcked me over.
NATO treats the US so unfairly, the WTO treats America so unfairly, the Mexicans treat America so unfairly, China treats the US so unfairly.
FVCK; it's just NOT FAIR anymore.
Will Trump ever STFU & stop his incessant whining? Talk about a DAMN SNOWFLAKE.
Trump is the biggest drama queen in America; he is making the drag queens jealous.
Now drag queens feel like they have been treated so unfairly.
It's just NOT FAIR damn it. Nothing is "FAIR."
SHUT UP DONALD; STOP WHINING ON TWITTER EVERY DAMN DAY.
It's not fair.

Forum List

Back