CDZ Words of wisdom from Warren Buffett

For everyone from college students to political partisans:
40392896_10216016730906714_4496228467058147328_n.jpg

That's too bad because it painfully obvious that our POTUS did not heed that very thoughtful message.

With the crap he spews daily on Twitter it is clear to see that words are daggers to der Fuhrer and he is being injured by those 'unfair' words at an alarming rate.

Gotta pick up those daggers & throw 'em back.
The words apply to both ends of the spectrum.

Yeah? Please show me where anyone on the Right has claimed that "Words are violence".

Or has made desperate attempts to shut down speakers WITH VIOLENCE on multiple occasions.
You brought that phrase up, not me.

Perhaps you could calm down a bit.

You "calm down", I'm over here being calm already. And that is exactly what Buffett is saying--"words are violence" is the best example of what he is saying. And it's all on the Left. You have no counter, so you tell me to "calm down".

Bad play.

The point is this: The Left has raised victimhood to a virtue. The more things you can find that are offensive, the more virtuous you are (unless you are a white male, then you are, by definition an "oppressor").

So if someone wants to come to a campus and give a talk about how abortion is a moral abomination, or how incarceration rates for Blacks are statistically warranted, or there are genetic justifications for women being rare among Nobel laureates, then those topics are considered "hate speech." Because "someone" might find them offensive.

Which is bullshit. Truth cannot be hateful, particularly on a college campus, where the bread & butter should be the free exchange of ideas, particularly controversial ones.

Do you get it now?

Waiting to see if Mac will tell you to "calm down", or if he just saves that for the wimmins

For everyone from college students to political partisans:
40392896_10216016730906714_4496228467058147328_n.jpg

That's too bad because it painfully obvious that our POTUS did not heed that very thoughtful message.

With the crap he spews daily on Twitter it is clear to see that words are daggers to der Fuhrer and he is being injured by those 'unfair' words at an alarming rate.

Yeah? Please show me where anyone on the Right has claimed that "Words are violence".

Or has made desperate attempts to shut down speakers WITH VIOLENCE on multiple occasions.

You "calm down", I'm over here being calm already. And that is exactly what Buffett is saying--"words are violence" is the best example of what he is saying. And it's all on the Left. You have no counter, so you tell me to "calm down".

Bad play.
Okay, it's all the fault of "the other guys".

Got it.

Bad play.

Got it.

Again. Do you have examples of the Right saying that "words are violence"? Try facts and evidence. Do you have examples of the Right shutting down speech multiple times, with violence?

Try facts and evidence.

No, they really don't.

Here are the problems with the stuff you spam these boards with every day.

You treat these things like they are something new. They aren't. College kids have been college kids since I was in college back in the 1980's. Man, the silly stuff they did... Reagan made them as crazy in the 1980's as Trump makes them now, and Reagan wasn't anywhere near as bad as Trump is.

The thing that wouldn't have happened back in the 1980's... no one would have invited the author of a debunked study like the "Bell Curve" to campus like he was an honored speaker.

If anything, colleges are less political now. They are more like businesses. I went to UIC last year, and the old Student Union looked more like a corporate mall. Gone were all the spaces for student organizations and replaced with conference rooms.

The second problem is that you seem to think that the reaction of the left is really all that radical.

Um. No. We had a proto-fascist steal an election with the help of a foreign power, every day he demonstrates his mental instability openly, and even the people around him think he's crazy and have to try to keep him from doing anything truly nuts.

And frankly, you and a lot of other "moderates" try to treat this like it's 'normal" and "okay" and we are overreacting. Kids in Concentration Camps? Never mind that, Samantha Bee called Ivanka the C-word! Let's get our priorities straight.

Bad play.

Got it.

Again. Do you have examples of the Right saying that "words are violence"? Try facts and evidence. Do you have examples of the Right shutting down speech multiple times, with violence?

Try facts and evidence.
I sure don't.

Why is that one phrase so important to you? Buffett's quote has zero (0) to do with it (outside of your emotional behavior here).

Have you put that phrase on a tee shirt or sumpin'?

`
"Words are violence" was originally coined by psychologist Lisa Feldman Barrett, at Northeastern University and published in an essay with The New York Times titled, "When Is Speech Violence." It was picked up and used by Milo Yiannopoulos. - Source

I don't necessarily agree with it.
`

LOL....

The next title of one of Mac's threads might be.

"Bill Clinton's insightful promotion of abstinence as a preventative measure to combat the spread of STD's."

Not that he would be wrong, or that Buffett said anything wrong.

We just know that the intended audience would and will completely ignore them.

Bad play.

Got it.

Try facts and evidence.
I sure don't.

Why is that one phrase so important to you? Buffett's quote has zero (0) to do with it (outside of your emotional behavior here).

Because it is the penultimate example of what Buffett is saying. Read his quote again and tell me how it's not. Tell me how "words are violence" is not an overly emotional reaction and how "words are violence" do not require you to take a breather. Yet this is the Lefty's rallying cry.

You can't say that to me. Saying that is "literally violence"

`
"Words are violence" was originally coined by psychologist Lisa Feldman Barrett, at Northeastern University and published in an essay with The New York Times titled, "When Is Speech Violence." It was picked up and used by Milo Yiannopoulos. - Source

I don't necessarily agree with it.
`

81% of college students do. Guess how they lean, politically?

Liberals teach their children well. I'll say that for them. Their ideas are stupid, but they inculcate them very well.

Bad play.

Got it.

Try facts and evidence.
I sure don't.

Because it is the penultimate example of what Buffett is saying. Read his quote again and tell me how it's not. Tell me how "words are violence" is not an overly emotional reaction and how "words are violence" do not require you to take a breather. Yet this is the Lefty's rallying cry.

Okay, you're right, Warren is attacking the Left and no one else. It's all their fault for their "words are violence" party motto. He was clearly thinking only about the Left when he said that. Definitely. Obviously.

Yikes.

Bad play.

Got it.

Try facts and evidence.
I sure don't.

Okay, you're right, Warren is attacking the Left and no one else. It's all their fault for their "words are violence" party motto. He was clearly thinking only about the Left when he said that. Definitely. Obviously.

Yikes.

Can't ever step off the mountain to see things clearly eh? You know the mountaintop is a position all its own.

Some independents really can see things pretty clearly. You are not one of them.

The point is this: The Left has raised victimhood to a virtue. The more things you can find that are offensive, the more virtuous you are (unless you are a white male, then you are, by definition an "oppressor").

I'm a white male, and I don't oppress anyone.

I am however, honest enough to admit that this society has given me a HUGE advantage by virtue of being a white male that frankly, I wouldn't have if I were black and female.

And we aren't going in the right direction towards equality right now.

I spoke about UIC earlier in this thread, the campus I graduated from in 1985. It was originally built so inner city youth could have access to education.

Today, because of Price increases and other factors, African American enrollment at UIC is less than 9%.

So if someone wants to come to a campus and give a talk about how abortion is a moral abomination, or how incarceration rates for Blacks are statistically warranted, or there are genetic justifications for women being rare among Nobel laureates, then those topics are considered "hate speech." Because "someone" might find them offensive.

Really? Here's the thing. Maybe you need to look up the Science of Eugenics and Social Darwinism, which is the kind of garbage that was preached on campuses in the first half of the 20th century, until someone acted on them and we got a century of horrors.

So, uh, yeah, when someone tries to rationalize racism or misogyny with something that sounds like "science", but really isn't, people really, really need to challenge that sort of thing.

Which is bullshit. Truth cannot be hateful, particularly on a college campus, where the bread & butter should be the free exchange of ideas, particularly controversial ones.

Do you get it now?

No, not really. The thing is, Universities have intellectual authority because they apply scientific and intellectual rigor to subjects. When you let a mutant like the guy who wrote the Bell Curve (a study that was thoroughly debunked as racist and bad science) speak on your campus, you are giving validity to his junk science.

Now, if you want to have campuses that preach the kind of moral values you like, that's awesome. That's what places like Bob Jones and Liberty University and Talking Snake U are for. It's just that these places aren't places of learning, and no one quotes a study from them for a good reason.

Yikes.

Warren didn't say that, someone else did. You are continuing to insist he did when someone pointed out it was someone else's quote.

Yikes.

Forum List

Back