Women who get abortions are more likely to commit suicide.

This is hardly an argument against abortion rights, if that was the intent.
Just for perspective, there were 41,000 suicides in America in 2011. More than 32,000 were men, more than 8,000 for women.
Relevance....none.

The fact is that women who have abortions are more likely to commit suicide. Stick to the subject matter, kid..
Actually relevance....total!

It proves what you call a "fact" is actually a "FALLACY." Clearly the 32,000 men who committed suicide did NOT have abortions, so suicide has other factors as its cause.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin: "after this, therefore because of this") is a logical fallacy (of the questionable cause variety) that states "Since event Y followed event X, event Y must have been caused by event X." It is often shortened to simply post hoc fallacy.

No. What I called a fact is a fact, dumb ass. Is it not fact that women who had abortions committed suicide at a higher rate? If don't understand simple matters, you shouldn't be throwing around relatively advanced concepts like post hoc erco propter hoc....that goes for you and dumb asses like Pogo.
Actually Gatsby, in this study in Finland, this is true....merely looking at the study's numbers... but I can't say the study was truly meaningful.

Were these mostly SINGLE women having the abortions vs. mostly married women, having their babies?

A better study would have been women who aborted compared to single women who had their babies out of wedlock.

And married women who aborted with husband's consent and without husband's consent, compared to married women who chose to have their child.

And 1 year following is too short of a study.

ALSO, where is Finland, regarding abortion? Is it liberal or conservative in their laws? That could factor in to the study's results as well....

I would presume that a 'harder' lifestyle of a good portion of those having abortions could be a factor in the suicide rates as well....

And the security of being married with child, verses the insecurity of being unmarried with child.... I would presume being unmarried with child would have a higher suicide rate than married with child, but....I could be wrong???

I guess my bottom line is, this study, although it may be accurate as far as ''numbers'', it doesn't tell us much.

Good thoughts. And as noted earlier, the group defined as "women who had abortions" are by definition facing whatever their problems are that led to that abortion, which are themselves contributory influences to that suicide. Into which might also be thrown substance dependency, depression, employment instability, relationship instability, other health issues, any number of contributing factors. So cherrypicking the abortion out of the whole and pretending to see it as a cause is a blatant fallacy. Call it non sequitur, call it post hoc, whatever. I call it bullshit. Even the simple know what that means.

Moreover -- Finland has high suicide/depression rates anyway.
Know what they also have a lot of?
Guns.

I feel a satirical statistical analogy coming on... :eusa_whistle:

Nobody's cherrypicking anything, bud. The study is simple matter of fact study. It never makes claims to the exclusion of other factors that may contribute to suicide. You can't handle it because it shines a negative light on your political vortex.

LOL at this: "Moreover -- Finland has high suicide/depression rates anyway." - Funny watching you throw out completely illogical statements.

It proves what you call a "fact" is actually a "FALLACY." Clearly the 32,000 men who committed suicide did NOT have abortions, so suicide has other factors as its cause.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin: "after this, therefore because of this") is a logical fallacy (of the questionable cause variety) that states "Since event Y followed event X, event Y must have been caused by event X." It is often shortened to simply post hoc fallacy.

No. What I called a fact is a fact, dumb ass. Is it not fact that women who had abortions committed suicide at a higher rate?
And that is as meaningless as if women with hazel eyes committed suicide at a higher rate.

If women with hazel eyes were committing suicide at 6-7 times the rate of other colored eyed women, then I'd look for potential causation/correlation. Of course, that's not the case because no causation/correlation exists on that front. As it is, women who had abortions did commit suicides at 6-7 times the rate of the others. That is not "meaningless."

Elliot Institute did a study here in the US and found women who aborted were 154% more likely to commit suicide.

There is definitely a tie between suicide and abortion

Elliot Institute did a study here in the US and found women who aborted were 154% more likely to commit suicide.

What was the study base on? There seems to be a huge difference with the other studies.

The Guutmacher is made up of a bunch of pro abortion loons and is widely known as an arm of Planned Parenthood. You fail in epic fashion

I can't find the exact study with that figure but I found this from Elliot.

How convenient. Just can't find the study. But them other guys are full of shit. Yea right. LMAO.

I posted relevant information. Now wise ass maybe you can disprove your fellow loon's BS about Guttmacher? For christ's sake he was a president of Planned Parenthood, attended John Hopkins (which he referenced in his "study"). I'd take what he says with a grain of salt given his connections and Planned Parenthood's history

..... "Two studies from Finland(1) show that women who had abortions were 6 to 7 times more likely to commit suicide than women who gave birth. These studies were based on medical records rather than interviews. "

People in Finland commit suicide because they don't have sunlight 4 months out of the year. And also, of course the studies had to be based on medical records, the interviewees were dead, right? Laughing my ass off......

Yeah, I wouldn't call Guttmacher an unbiased source....just saying

The Guttmacher Institute was birthed in 1968 as a research arm of Planned Parenthood. In the late 70s, for public relations and credibility issues, both organizations performed a public separation declaring that Guttmacher was no longer affiliated with Planned Parenthood (PPFA) in any way.

But the cord is still attached.

Despite this preposterous claim by Guttmacher’s President and CEO, Sharon Camp, this global pro-abortion extension of PPFA has been funded over $2.1 million by Planned Parenthood

You ve Been Guttmacher d Planned Parenthood s Baby LifeNews.com

..... "Two studies from Finland(1) show that women who had abortions were 6 to 7 times more likely to commit suicide than women who gave birth. These studies were based on medical records rather than interviews. "

People in Finland commit suicide because they don't have sunlight 4 months out of the year. And also, of course the studies had to be based on medical records, the interviewees were dead, right? Laughing my ass off......
And yet women who had abortions were 6-7 times more likely to commit suicide. Explain that.

I can't find the exact study with that figure but I found this from Elliot. Scary

PSYCHOLOGICAL REACTIONS REPORTED AFTER ABORTION A Detailed Survey of Post-Abortion Reactions

Jesus, you people live in the dark and thrive on shit....like mushrooms. "I can't find the exact study" but, but, but...."I found this.."
Nowhere in that blowhard pack of bullshit does it say anything about 154% of anything, you fucking worm. Crawl back in the soft, moist dirt where you belong.

And yet women who had abortions were 6-7 times more likely to commit suicide. Explain that.

No, you explain it and link corroborating scientific sources, not blogs. This is yours to prove, you started this gasbag thread, so own it. This ain't Finland, in case you haven't noticed.

Let's just say this biased source is correct: 1.21 million abortions per year.
Abortions In America

Then there's this: "There are roughly 30,000 suicides in the United States each year, and three-fourths of those are men."

Help Page -- ScienceDaily

So 22,500 are committed by men. That leaves 7,500 women who commit suicide annually.

There's the math, idiot.

I can't find the exact study with that figure but I found this from Elliot. Scary

PSYCHOLOGICAL REACTIONS REPORTED AFTER ABORTION A Detailed Survey of Post-Abortion Reactions

Jesus, you people live in the dark and thrive on shit....like mushrooms. "I can't find the exact study" but, but, but...."I found this.."
Nowhere in that blowhard pack of bullshit does it say anything about 154% of anything, you fucking worm. Crawl back in the soft, moist dirt where you belong.

Of course it doesn't you deluded left loon, it's a different study..as I said in my post. Now go clean up your piehole and stop bothering me. You repulis

The real war on women, the liberal way.

That and blacks. These fools are so transparent you can see right through them

Let's just say this biased source is correct: 1.21 million abortions per year.
Abortions In America

Then there's this: "There are roughly 30,000 suicides in the United States each year, and three-fourths of those are men."

Help Page -- ScienceDaily

So 22,500 are committed by men. That leaves 7,500 women who commit suicide annually.

There's the math, idiot.
Okay you willing to use those type of numbers to go against your ban guns campaign?

Forum List

Back