Woman in a Window (2020) Netflix

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Critics hated this movie. I have no idea why.
Is the movie perfect? No it is not. Is it entertaining? Yes. Does it keep you guessing with plot twists? Yes Do those plot twist make sense? Mostly yes.
Women in the Window is an adaption of the classic thriller "Rear Window".
But instead of being physically injured, the main character is mentally sick. She takes drugs with side effects that are known to cause hallucinations...so when she starts seeing violence and eventually a murder take place - did she really see it?
Amy Adams is fantastic as usual.
My advice - watch it. It is good. I don't understand why so many critics complained "parts don't make sense" - well no shit! It is a movie about a woman with deep psychological problems who has difficulty knowing what is real and what is not. We see the happenings through her eyes - what is difficult to understand about that?

Anyway - it is not the perfect movie, there are s few holes... but then I could list 10 "holes" in the Rear Window it was adapted from.

I liked it...
Sounds like my kind of movie. This movie has the same title as the 1944 production with Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett, and Raymond Massey. However, I don't know it the story is the same. It gets good ratings by Rotten Tomatoes. The link below is the movie.

Sounds like my kind of movie. This movie has the same title as the 1944 production with Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett, and Raymond Massey. However, I don't know it the story is the same. It gets good ratings by Rotten Tomatoes. The link below is the movie.

It's not the same movie

It's not the same movie
I saw this movie last night and it was not bad, but not particularly good because the story line is very old and trite. A women, child, old man or a disabled person sees a murder from a bedroom window, a fire escape, a rear window, a window of a passing train, a car window stopped at a light, a moving car from a front poach, etc,, They all follow the same general story line. The witness is judged unreliable and not to be believed whereupon evidence gathering leads to danger. Our helpless voyager is threaten to keep the audience on the edge their seat. Finally convincing evidence is found but the killer realizes he or she is in danger. This leads to the final scene in which the killer attacks. Miraculously our protagonist fights off the killer as police arrive or he or she manages to do in the killer. Thus all is well with the world and the audience is left with the knowledge that justice has been served and life is looking better. This storyline has got to have been used dozens of times in books and movies with minor variations.

Rear Window is probably the best rendition but the 1949 film noir. The Window with Bobby Driscoll is also very good.

Last edited:
I saw this movie last night and it was not bad, but not particularly good because the story line is very old and trite. A women, child, old man or a disabled person sees a murder from a bedroom window, a fire escape, a rear window, a window of a passing train, a car window stopped at a light, a moving car from a front poach, etc,, They all follow the same general story line. The witness is judged unreliable and not to be believed whereupon evidence gathering leads to danger. Our helpless voyager is threaten to keep the audience on the edge their seat. Finally convincing evidence is found but the killer realizes he or she is in danger. This leads to the final scene in which the killer attacks. Miraculously our protagonist fights off the killer as police arrive or he or she manages to do in the killer. Thus all is well with the world and the audience is left with the knowledge that justice has been served and life is looking better. This storyline has got to have been used dozens of times in books and movies with minor variations.

Rear Window is probably the best rendition but the 1949 film noir. The Window with Bobby Driscoll is also very good.
Like I say it is not perfect, but not as bad as critics say.
I mean there are some real boners out there that got better ratings than this movie.
Amy Adams carried it, if it would have been some lesser actor it would likely have been a bomb.
My main complaint was numerous critics said the scenes don't make sense, well yeah it is not supposed to... we are seeing the movie through her eyes several places.
Anyway... I thought it was pretty decent.

Like I say it is not perfect, but not as bad as critics say.
I mean there are some real boners out there that got better ratings than this movie.
Amy Adams carried it, if it would have been some lesser actor it would likely have been a bomb.
My main complaint was numerous critics said the scenes don't make sense, well yeah it is not supposed to... we are seeing the movie through her eyes several places.
Anyway... I thought it was pretty decent.
Critics are rarely impressed by a worn out story line that has been done far better by multiple productions. If you read the top critics on Rotten Tomatoes, they didn't say that the movie was really bad. I think the number rating system in Rotten Tomatoes is a bit misleading. I pay attention to ratings above 95% and below 60%. Are movies rated 100% only twice as good as movies rated 50%. Is a 50% movie twice as good as a 25%? What is really crazy is when people choose a 90% over 80% just because of the rating.

IMHO, here is best method of picking a movie.
1. Pick a genre you like or at least one you don't mind watching. This is the most important factor.
2.Then read critics reviews looking for red lights such as sad endings if you hate movies that end sadly, lack of action, if you're action fan, etc.
3. Finally, look at Rotten Tomatoes. If the scores is over 80, the quality is pretty good. If score is under 50 forget it.

The point is what you like in a move is far more important than what a critic likes. A saw a movie not too long ago that a critic raved about the sparkling dialog between the two main characters and wonderful cinematography and sets, a great period piece. I could hardly stay away. Absolutely nothing happened in the movie, no action at all. They talked about their kids and the neighbors. There was nothing really funny and nothing that really dramatic.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back