The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece: A Novel By Tom Hanks

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
This is Tom's first novel and it should be his last unless he learns that story is critical in a good novel. This book is about making of a movie. It begins in 1947 with a child who will have a part in the creation of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece 60 years latter. Throughout the book we get vignettes of the many people who will have some part in creating the movie. However, there are no heroes nor villains. I guess Bill Johnson, the director would be the protagonist. What is good in the book is Tom's writing about the various characters, sometimes funny but always interesting. What is bad, is there really isn't much a thread tying all these vignettes together. Flashbacks in the novel destroys any thread so it's almost like reading short stories.

The message Tom wants to share with us is that making movies is about the people and the lives of the people that make them and how these people work or don't work together. You won't learn much about the process of movie making but you will get Tom's take on how the people behind the scenes determine the results.

The book is available both in text and audio. Tom narrates most of the book which probably makes it more interesting than the text

Last edited:
This is Tom's first novel and it should be his last unless he learns that story is critical in a good novel. This book is about making of a movie. It begins in 1947 with a child who will have a part in the creation of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece 60 years latter. Throughout the book we get vignettes of the many people who will have some part in creating the movie. However, there are no heroes nor villains. I guess Bill Johnson, the director would be the protagonist. What is good in the book is Tom's writing about the various characters, sometimes funny but always interesting. What is bad, is there really isn't much a thread tying all these vignettes together. Flashbacks in the novel destroys any thread so it's almost like reading short stories.

The message Tom wants to share with us is that making movies is about the people and the lives of the people that make them and how these people work or don't work together. You won't learn much about the process of movie making but you will get Tom's take on how the people behind the scenes determine the results.

The book is available both in text and audio. Tom narrates most of the book which probably makes it more interesting than the text
I'll just rush out and go see it whenever I get a chance. :muahaha:

Tom Hanks is turning into a really sorry character.
When he's in public he always acts like he's pissed off.
It's like he's another Baldwin brother.

I'll just rush out and go see it whenever I get a chance. :muahaha:

Tom Hanks is turning into a really sorry character.
When he's in public he always acts like he's pissed off.
It's like he's another Baldwin brother.

You won't see it because it's a book. I think Tom Hanks acts like a 65 year old major star with 2 academy awards, 6 nominations, and a net worth of 450 million who hasn't had q blockbuster hit in 20 years. I Saw him on the Today Show pushing his book. He was wearing a sport shirt, tennis shoes, and needed a shave. He was talking off the cuff ignoring the fact that about 8 or10 million people were watching him.

I've met some Hollywood Stars many years ago in the 50's. Most of them were pretty disappointing but there were two that were really nice people. One was Boris Karloff, the actor that played Frankenstein in the 30's and 40's. The other was James Arness. This was before he became famous as Marshall Dillion in Gunsmoke. Rarely do actors screen persona exist off screen. Supper villains in real life are often great people and the heroes are real shits.

Last edited:

Reminds me of his “Band of Brothers”. Same thing, various characters, meandering stories.

I really wanted to like it since I love Hanks and am a sucker for war movies but couldn’t get into it. Maybe because there wasn’t a central figure to root for. Maybe.

I liked some of Hank's acting , but some intellectual heavyweight he's not. Outside of a few writers like Ben Hecht, who was a good writer before he went to Hollywood, the industry doesn't attract much in the way of intellects and geniuses. I mention Ben Hecht because he wrote one of my favorite movies that was just shown the other day, His Girl Friday with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell, and it reminded me of how good he was compared to his Hollywood peers.

I read / scan almost everything from the very serious to the seriously unbalanced .So this news is really interesting as Conspiracy thinkers , as distinct from Critical thinkers, have contended for a considerable time that Hanks and his wife were executed some time ago for complicity and personal participation in about every sex and trafficking matter possible to think of . On the chat circuit , Hanks the Paedophile , has been touted as fact rather than speculation . His personal appearances will therefore be watched with interest to see whether we are looking at Tom or a double .My private guess is 95% plus in favour of it being absurd, but I never lose sight of the maxim -- wherever there is smoke there is fire . Just saying .

Like his acting, other than that Hanks, to me, is an ass. I might check it out at the library.

You won't see it because it's a book. I think Tom Hanks acts like a 65 year old major star with 2 academy awards, 6 nominations, and a net worth of 450 million who hasn't had q blockbuster hit in 20 years. I Saw him on the Today Show pushing his book. He was wearing a sport shirt, tennis shoes, and needed a shave. He was talking off the cuff ignoring the fact that about 8 or10 million people were watching him.

I've met some Hollywood Stars many years ago in the 50's. Most of them were pretty disappointing but there were two that were really nice people. One was Boris Karloff, the actor that played Frankenstein in the 30's and 40's. The other was James Arness. This was before he became famous as Marshall Dillion in Gunsmoke. Rarely do actors screen persona exist off screen. Supper villains in real life are often great people and the heroes are real shits.
Beloved stars who earned 2 academy awards and 6 nominations for amazing portrayals of interesting characters have likely seen a lot of obnoxious stalkers and obsequious salespersons. Superstars are just people whose roles may have happened to warm people's hearts and are thought of as the persons they portray. Then, they and have to deal with people who believe they are the person they portrayed on stage or silver screen and treat him as though he were the simpleton everybody pampers due to a lack of sophistication. That can wear on a person whose only goal was to entertain and take people far away from their everyday problems, with as much grace and style of someone like Tom Hanks who is likely weary of the "I-kiss- your-foot-if -you-kiss-mine" or other prosaic treatment. Some people just can't let it go. It's his defense mechanism that works and kicks in when he is wishing nobody would recognize him for just one day or whenever he is mentally rehearsing his next movie's lines. So he retreats into his most villainous act and pounces on whoever is has insensitive feelings for his privacy and peace of mind. And his narrative du jour likely gets what he wants, too--forced privacy from an obnoxious person off his back for the moment. At this point, he probably doesn't lose any sleep over his understandable offscreen reputation being hashed out on a talk show or a popular online chat site.

By the way, thanks for some good threads. You got style, fella. :thup:

Last edited:
Reminds me of his “Band of Brothers”. Same thing, various characters, meandering stories.

I really wanted to like it since I love Hanks and am a sucker for war movies but couldn’t get into it. Maybe because there wasn’t a central figure to root for. Maybe.
Holy Crap... Band of Brothers is extremally well done.

Perhaps it was best for Tom to not do interviews and avoid cameras like he use to.
I saw him a couple times recently myself and was surprised by what I saw.
He is pretty much all over the place, rambling and not really answering the question asked.
He is one of the best actors alive today, and likely to be in the top 10 in history. Maybe he should go back to being private so we don't see that he is actually kind of an odd fellow.

Think of DeNiro. How many of you knew he is a complete moron in real life until he exposed that fact a few years ago?

Perhaps it was best for Tom to not do interviews and avoid cameras like he use to.
He is pretty much all over the place, rambling and not really answering the question asked.
He is one of the best actors alive today, and likely to be in the top 10 in history. Maybe he should go back to being private so we don't see that he is actually kind of an odd fellow.

Think of DeNiro. How many of you knew he is a complete moron in real life until he exposed that fact a few years ago?

Hanks and DeNiro are both raging liberals, so it should be expected for them to be jerks.
Nicest guy in Hollywood is Keanu Reeves :).

Hanks and DeNiro are both raging liberals, so it should be expected for them to be jerks.
Nicest guy in Hollywood is Keanu Reeves :).
DeNiro is just a simple idiot.
I came to know several years ago that being a great actor does not require intelligence. You would think it would, but it clearly does not.

Hanks is on my Shit List for life.

Learned what a fraud and phoney he is when covid hit.

Just like 99% of all the other lunatic lefturd Hellyweird freaks, phonies, and criminals..........he's one of them.

Haven't watched anything of his since, and never will. He's just another disgusting piece of shit.

You won't see it because it's a book. I think Tom Hanks acts like a 65 year old major star with 2 academy awards, 6 nominations, and a net worth of 450 million who hasn't had q blockbuster hit in 20 years.
I agree. His wealth has made him lazy.
I don't believe he is interested in the work it takes to be in a blockbuster anymore.
Choosing instead to make simpler movies, typically shot in one location.
Forest Gump took 5 months to film, and Hanks had to fly to 6 locations to shoot scenes. Literally all over America.
I just don't think Hanks is interested in doing that anymore.

I read / scan almost everything from the very serious to the seriously unbalanced .So this news is really interesting as Conspiracy thinkers , as distinct from Critical thinkers, have contended for a considerable time that Hanks and his wife were executed some time ago for complicity and personal participation in about every sex and trafficking matter possible to think of . On the chat circuit , Hanks the Paedophile , has been touted as fact rather than speculation . His personal appearances will therefore be watched with interest to see whether we are looking at Tom or a double .My private guess is 95% plus in favour of it being absurd, but I never lose sight of the maxim -- wherever there is smoke there is fire . Just saying .
My guess is that the conspiracy theory that Hanks and his wife were executed some time ago for complicity and personal participation in sex acts and has been replaced by doubles has a creditability of about .000000000000000001%.

Last edited:

Why should you care what these people are in real life?
I never understood why people become so upset when they learn that the giant actor on the screen that they adore is a real person who says and does a lot of stupid things, dresses like a bum, and doesn't care. Just because he is great actor does not make a him a person. We pay money to see the actor not real person.

Last edited:
Cinematically, yes. Extremely well done. It was the story that meandered. Really wanted to enjoy it but couldn't.
It's the director not the actors responsibility to see that the scenes are tied together to make a single coherent story. Band of Brothers is a miniseries with 10 episodes, 8 directors, and 7 writers. So it's not surprising that episodes would lack continuity. I think Hanks is more interested in creating scenes that tell stories rather than movies that tell stories. The movie he is most known for, Forest Gump is a series episode with little continuity.

Forum List

Back