Missing (Netflix)

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
A few years ago, there was a great documentary series on Netflix called Don't F**K with Cats. If you've never seen it, check it out. You won't be disappointed.

It's a great amateur real-life detective story about how some people used the internet to track down a maniac. The deeper they looked into this guy, the stranger and more diabolical it got.

Missing is basically a fictional movie in the same genre, but it just feels like it misses the mark. The creator of this schlock depends way too much on plot twists. The number of plot twists gets really stupid after a while. The final plot twist jumps the shark.

The starting point: An 18 year old girl's mother disappears while on vacation in Columbia with her boyfriend. The girl begins using the internet and social media to solve the disappearance, and she enlists a house cleaner for hire in Columbia to help her. The police turn out to be completely incompetent.

Rotten Tomatoes gives a critic rating of 88 percent, and an audience rating of 90 percent.

I'd give it 75 percent, and I'm being generous.

Apparently there is a better earlier movie in this genre called Searching. I plan on checking it out and will write a review once I have.

Okay, so I'm watching Searching right now. I'm about halfway through.

Missing is a total ripoff of Searching. Unbelievable.

Mystery solved. I looked up both movies on Rotten Tomatoes.

The two writers of Searching produced Missing.

While watching Searching, my daughter and I were wondering why they hadn't sued the makers of Missing. Now we know why.

They are carbon copies.

Forum List

Back