Wis. governor says union bill is 'incredibly fair'

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
"I don't want to see thousands upon thousands of people laid off at the state and local level. What we are proposing is a much better alternative," Walker added.

Wis. governor says union bill is 'incredibly fair' - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com

I think this "drama" has gone on long enough. Since the Demcrats are being childish about this deal and "hiding out", why not simply let the bill die, and allow the layoffs to begin? Walker would win with the Tea Baggers who put him in office. The people of WI would win because they won't have to worry about any sort of a tax increase to pay for the budget shortfall. Walker was elected to lead, so LEAD already!

Walker would rather not have city, county, and the state have to cut services just to fund excessive pay and benefits, that's why.

Support for him is growing across the country - I hope he stays true to his convictions. Public Employees should not be exempt from economic reality. We've already burdened future generations with nearly a trillion of long term debt just to bail out public employee union jobs for the past two years. Enough. The con game is over.

Walker would rather not have city, county, and the state have to cut services just to fund excessive pay and benefits, that's why.

Support for him is growing across the country - I hope he stays true to his convictions. Public Employees should not be exempt from economic reality. We've already burdened future generations with nearly a trillion of long term debt just to bail out public employee union jobs for the past two years. Enough. The con game is over.

So what are the actions the Governor can take? Start the flood of pink slips? Tax more of the private sector to avoid the pink slips? Ask that these people contribute more to avoid the pink slips? Or declare bankruptcy...?

So what are the actions the Governor can take? Start the flood of pink slips? Tax more of the private sector to avoid the pink slips? Ask that these people contribute more to avoid the pink slips? Or declare bankruptcy...?

I just heard one of the PRO union guys interview on Fox.. can you guess what his solutions are? He has two? Go ahead,, tell me what he said. Anyone who understands libruls will know the answer without even thinking.. go.

I haven't spoken with a single person here in Wisconsin that wasn't in FULL SUPPORT of Governor Walker. If it weren't for the DNC busing people in and making such a massive deal out of this, it would all be over already.

Here's what he should do:

Get the bill passed.

The code for public employees includes clauses that they actually have to show up for work. The Dem 14 should be put on notice that if they do not show up in X days, their jobs will be considered abandoned and the Governor will declare a special election to fill the seats. That will get them back quickly.

Another tactic is to impeach them all. They will have to show up to face charges, and the bill could then be brought to the floor for a vote.

Or, split the collective bargaining clause into a separate bill. The super majority requirement only applies to budget items. The 19 GOP members are sufficient to vote upon the a bill voiding collective bargaining rights.

Walker should also let this all play out for a few days. It's a good object lesson for the country to see Obama and the DNC interfere in a governor's attempts to balance the budget of his state.

IF the Democrats and the unions are not willing to "give", then Walker needs to begin the pink slip process in order to bring WI's house back into budget reality. What other choice does he have? If he gives in now and doesn't institute fiscal restraint by laying off these public workers, the right will call him weak. LEAD, already!

I haven't spoken with a single person here in Wisconsin that wasn't in FULL SUPPORT of Governor Walker. If it weren't for the DNC busing people in and making such a massive deal out of this, it would all be over already.

My normally liberal relatives in WI totally support Walker. All it takes is parents having to use up a few vacation days, which they were saving for the summer, in order to take care of their kids because the schools are closed to bring the situation in to personal high relief.

While I do not agree with teachers out of the classrooms, I think Walker has overreached with this bill. Rather than sit down and negotiate with the unions, he is attempting to bust them.

IF the Democrats and the unions are not willing to "give", then Walker needs to begin the pink slip process in order to bring WI's house back into budget reality. What other choice does he have? If he gives in now and doesn't institute fiscal restraint by laying off these public workers, the right will call him weak. LEAD, already!

No he doesn't. He has other options to get the bill passed.

Get the bill passed.

The code for public employees includes clauses that they actually have to show up for work. The Dem 14 should be put on notice that if they do not show up in X days, their jobs will be considered abandoned and the Governor will declare a special election to fill the seats. That will get them back quickly.

Another tactic is to impeach them all. They will have to show up to face charges, and the bill could then be brought to the floor for a vote.

Or, split the collective bargaining clause into a separate bill. The super majority requirement only applies to budget items. The 19 GOP members are sufficient to vote upon the a bill voiding collective bargaining rights.

Walker should also let this all play out for a few days. It's a good object lesson for the country to see Obama and the DNC interfere in a governor's attempts to balance the budget of his state.

Even with the weak field of pre-identified possible GOP candidates, THIS idea is huge. Campaign attack ads against Obama, made by.....Obama...genius.

While I do not agree with teachers out of the classrooms, I think Walker has overreached with this bill. Rather than sit down and negotiate with the unions, he is attempting to bust them.

As he should. The teachers should not be sheltered from this economic mess simply because they are unionized. If the unions woon't budge, let the layoffs begin.

My normally liberal relatives in WI totally support Walker. All it takes is parents having to use up a few vacation days, which they were saving for the summer, in order to take care of their kids because the schools are closed to bring the situation in to personal high relief.
I wonder too...how many parents had to stay home to keep an eye on their children while these teachers were faking illness to be there? How much productive time was lost? How many lost their jobs because of the thoughtless actions of these people?

Get the bill passed.

He could also pass a bill making it unlawful in the state of Wisconsin for elected officials to "run from their job." That has just got to be one of the most CHICKEN SHIT things I've EVER heard of an elected official doing. Even if it was the republicans that ran and hid, I'd be steaming mad. What a PATHETIC stunt.

There's a little local board that I've been on here in Wisconsin, and I started a thread condemning the "cowardly dog dems" that ran and hid out of state, and another poster started a thread asking who was in support or against Governor Walker. The support was almost 10 to 1 over against, and there was plenty of posts saying exactly what you said about parents having to stay home and watch kids instead of go to work, and then they were in trouble for not showing up for work. The person who started the for and against thread, and I, were both banned from the board. I am in the process of starting a campaign against this board to expose it to the locals as a complete left wing biased board.

Last edited:
Walker was on one of the shows over the weekend.

He says he's holding firm.

I hope he does.

I also hope the rest of the nation takes a good look at whats going on in WI. States like NY, Cali, NJ and others who are going broke paying for sweetheart deals given to public worker unions. The Gov's should all follow suite.

The people of WI voted this Gov in knowing what his agenda was going to be.
The union members come off looking like a bunch of self serving idiots IMO.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
Walker was on one of the shows over the weekend.

He says he's holding firm.

I hope he does.

I also hope the rest of the nation takes a good look at whats going on in WI. States like NY, Cali, NJ and others who are going broke paying for sweetheart deals given to public worker unions. The Gov's should all follow suite.

The people of WI voted this Gov in knowing what his agenda was going to be.
The union members come off looking like a bunch of self serving idiots IMO.

The union members come off looking like they always have. Highly paid individuals crying and whining because they might have to pay a little more of their own health insurance costs. Standard M.O. for the unions.

Have you ever been in a negotiation with a union? My bet is no. I've heard from several people whom I personally know that have, and the one thing they all point out is, there is no "negotiating" with a union. You either cave to their demands, or they strike.

The unions here in Wisconsin as in other states have milked whatever it has attached itself to death. Now the tit they've been milking has gone dry, and they did it to themselves. Now it's time for unions to simply go bye-bye. They've outlived their usefulness to the point of being nothing more than destructive.

Last edited:

Have you ever been in a negotiation with a union? My bet is no. I've heard from several people whom I personally know that have, and the one thing they all point out is, there is no "negotiating" with a union. You either cave to their demands, or they strike.

The unions here in Wisconsin as in other states has milked whatever it has attached itself to death. Now the tit they've been milking has gone dry, and they did it to themselves. Now it's time for unions to simply go bye-bye. They've outlived their usefulness to the point of being nothing more than destructive.

My experience in negotiating with unions proves the bolded part to be exactly correct. There is no negotiating, unless of course you consider caving to their every whim a negotiating tactic.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Unions have outlived their original purpose. There are plenty of work safety, work hour and other regulations and laws that protect workers. The only thing left for unions to do is to continually ask for more compensation (at the expense of taxpayers or shareholders).

And public employee collective bargaining should not exist - even FDR realized this.

Forum List

Back