Wis. governor says union bill is 'incredibly fair'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by VaYank5150, Feb 21, 2011.

1. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Wis. governor says union bill is 'incredibly fair' - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com

I think this "drama" has gone on long enough. Since the Demcrats are being childish about this deal and "hiding out", why not simply let the bill die, and allow the layoffs to begin? Walker would win with the Tea Baggers who put him in office. The people of WI would win because they won't have to worry about any sort of a tax increase to pay for the budget shortfall. Walker was elected to lead, so LEAD already!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. washamericom

washamericom Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,701
    then it must be

3. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,857
    Walker would rather not have city, county, and the state have to cut services just to fund excessive pay and benefits, that's why.

Support for him is growing across the country - I hope he stays true to his convictions. Public Employees should not be exempt from economic reality. We've already burdened future generations with nearly a trillion of long term debt just to bail out public employee union jobs for the past two years. Enough. The con game is over.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    So what are the actions the Governor can take? Start the flood of pink slips? Tax more of the private sector to avoid the pink slips? Ask that these people contribute more to avoid the pink slips? Or declare bankruptcy...?

5. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,733
    I just heard one of the PRO union guys interview on Fox.. can you guess what his solutions are? He has two? Go ahead,, tell me what he said. Anyone who understands libruls will know the answer without even thinking.. go.

6. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,131
    I haven't spoken with a single person here in Wisconsin that wasn't in FULL SUPPORT of Governor Walker. If it weren't for the DNC busing people in and making such a massive deal out of this, it would all be over already.

7. boedicca

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,857
    Here's what he should do:

Get the bill passed.

The code for public employees includes clauses that they actually have to show up for work. The Dem 14 should be put on notice that if they do not show up in X days, their jobs will be considered abandoned and the Governor will declare a special election to fill the seats. That will get them back quickly.

Another tactic is to impeach them all. They will have to show up to face charges, and the bill could then be brought to the floor for a vote.

Or, split the collective bargaining clause into a separate bill. The super majority requirement only applies to budget items. The 19 GOP members are sufficient to vote upon the a bill voiding collective bargaining rights.

Walker should also let this all play out for a few days. It's a good object lesson for the country to see Obama and the DNC interfere in a governor's attempts to balance the budget of his state.

8. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    IF the Democrats and the unions are not willing to "give", then Walker needs to begin the pink slip process in order to bring WI's house back into budget reality. What other choice does he have? If he gives in now and doesn't institute fiscal restraint by laying off these public workers, the right will call him weak. LEAD, already!

9. boedicca

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,857

My normally liberal relatives in WI totally support Walker. All it takes is parents having to use up a few vacation days, which they were saving for the summer, in order to take care of their kids because the schools are closed to bring the situation in to personal high relief.

10. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,258
    While I do not agree with teachers out of the classrooms, I think Walker has overreached with this bill. Rather than sit down and negotiate with the unions, he is attempting to bust them.