"windows blocking access to these programs at start-up"

sarahgop

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2009
An update to my re-booting problem. Now when i turn the comp on this message pops-up. It boots up fine and when i click on what programs its blocking it has one program, UPDATER thats being blocked. Im leaving it blocked because when i clicked on unblock a message pops up saying another program is trying to access the computer.

Also, a computer repair man i talked to today said windows vista doesnt even send updates anymore but i get updates often and in my system restore screen it shows many updates in the past few months. I do have vista, it says so in my settings.

Vista is supposed to stop updating next year, I think.

Mine still updates, but it's a pain in the ass. I have to install 1 update at a time, with lots of retries, over several days.

Last edited:
thanks, i wonder if updater is being blocked because i blocked the updates in my setings?

An update to my re-booting problem. Now when i turn the comp on this message pops-up. It boots up fine and when i click on what programs its blocking it has one program, UPDATER thats being blocked. Im leaving it blocked because when i clicked on unblock a message pops up saying another program is trying to access the computer.

Also, a computer repair man i talked to today said windows vista doesnt even send updates anymore but i get updates often and in my system restore screen it shows many updates in the past few months. I do have vista, it says so in my settings.
Typically because the software in not compatible with Win 10 so it blocks the program/app.
Can you access your personal files? You may have to back those up and do a clean install.
If you can't access your personal files there is a Linux OS that runs on RAM and will let you get to those files.

If you can't access your personal files there is a Linux OS that runs on RAM and will let you get to those files.

Come on Ringel? Normal people don't know how to deal with Linux install and boot up crap? I don't for sure.

Please Dear God make it stop!

I have a very new system with WIN10 installed and some other software installed by the company that "loaned" it to me. I am a know-nothing user. I don't want to know. I want to TURN it on and have it work. I learned a bunch of UNIX and they took it away!

Anyways...........wooo........I feel like a Clinton......wooo......shimmme.

I got some updates recently. I took a pic. Vista was updated too, I don't have it?

Capture.JPG

Come on Ringel? Normal people don't know how to deal with Linux install and boot up crap? I don't for sure.

Please Dear God make it stop!
Uuummmmm, I'm not telling her to install Linux instead of Windows, Macpup Linux is a recovery OS that runs on RAM, It doesn't use the hard drive but it can see it. I and many others have used it to recover personal files from supposedly dead hard drives. Basically it's for data recovery.

Uuummmmm, I'm not telling her to install Linux instead of Windows, Macpup Linux is a recovery OS that runs on RAM, It doesn't use the hard drive but it can see it. I and many others have used it to recover personal files from supposedly dead hard drives. Basically it's for data recovery.

So we go to freakin' Google and type "Macpup Linux" and click on it and it downloads and runs? Can she still get to google? I quit Google mostly........LOL.

Then we just answer the prompts to get to old personal files? RAM? wth? random access vs. what? Do "we" get a choice? HIMEM......LOMEM,...........let me out!

c:\\documents\user\localusers\clyde\MyDoucuments WTH?........Lord God in heaven please make it stop.

tumblr_ny10j3jWEY1thfe8uo1_250.gif

Normal people need step by step. I can't just hunt-peck and play all day.

So we go to freakin' Google and type "Macpup Linux" and click on it and it downloads and runs? Can she still get to google? I quit Google mostly........LOL.

Then we just answer the prompts to get to old personal files? RAM? wth? random access vs. what? Do "we" get a choice? HIMEM......LOMEM,...........let me out!

c:\\documents\user\localusers\clyde\MyDoucuments WTH?........Lord God in heaven please make it stop.

View attachment 91878

If she wants it I'll post a link........ If she doesn't I won't...... Couldn't be simpler than that....... I'll wait for her to decide, not you, she's the one we're trying to help......... Oops.......

View attachment 91878

If she wants it I'll post a link........ If she doesn't I won't...... Couldn't be simpler than that....... I'll wait for her to decide, not you, she's the one we're trying to help......... Oops.......
Oh and until you understand how computers actually work ya might want to stop stuffing both feet in your mouth. :thup:

now now........don't go all SMUG on the lower level "users" out here. I was trying to upgrade my brain. That is........until the ANGER set in again. I blame Bill Gates.

you may end up with label SMF........smug mother Forker.

tumblr_nk1q61aShd1qz5q5lo1_400.gif

now now........don't go all SMUG on the lower level "users" out here. I was trying to upgrade my brain. That is........until the ANGER set in again. I blame Bill Gates.

you may end up with label SMF........smug mother Forker.

View attachment 91887
SMG? Maybe you should be looking in a mirror when you say that.... Based on your responses that is........ :eusa_whistle:

If you have a question then ask it, if your intent is to be nothing but snarky then we'll play that game also....... I'm really good at it........ :thup:

If you have a question then ask it, if your intent is to be nothing but snarky then we'll play that game also....... I'm really good at it........ :thup:

no questions. well.......too many for here. My PC is working right now. and tablet.

no questions. well.......too many for here. My PC is working right now. and tablet.
Okay, then why did you feel the need to chime in, in the way you did? :dunno:
I will always respond accordingly, it's not a hard concept to understand. I'll try to answer questions with proper answers, I'll respond to snide snarkiness in kind.
As for your search engine preferences (mentioned earlier) I could care less and most likely everyone else could care less.
I will help with one thing, back in the early days of PCs they had no hard drives, the operating system was on a floppy disc and loaded into the RAM (Random Access Memory), when the disc was removed the computer no longer worked as there was no operating system built in. Operating systems like Macpup work the same way, insert the CD/DVD or thumb drive and the operating system works specifically from the external drive, the external media is the operating system.
I use and advocate it for those whose hard drive has crashed to retrieve as many personal files that haven't become corrupted and for those whose computer won't load their OS and want to save as much as possible before attempting a fresh OS install (which erases everything on the hard drive).

Okay, then why did you feel the need to chime in, in the way you did?

Sorry if I appeared to be snarky, I was mostly joking around. But also trying to learn something ahead of time. I am still bitter Sun Workstations and UNIX went away. Funny something named Macpup works on IBM/Gates PC platform.

Okay, then why did you feel the need to chime in, in the way you did?

Sorry if I appeared to be snarky, I was mostly joking around. But also trying to learn something ahead of time. I am still bitter Sun Workstations and UNIX went away. Funny something named Macpup works on IBM/Gates PC platform.
No problem, I joke a lot but I do try to let people know I'm joking (kinda difficult to see facial expressions and body language........) :D
Heck nowadays there are some PCs people Hackintosh (load OSX on), Linux works on most every PC made and on many Macs. I don't try to get people to choose between any of them, each person's preference is theirs and all OSs have their pluses and minuses, their strong points and their weak points. Take me, I've used them all and I currently prefer Windows though I hate Microsoft, the primary reason I prefer Windows are games almost all the best games are written for Windows however that is gradually changing.
For a working OS (stability and speed) I prefer Linux Ubuntu or Linux Mint but that's just me. If and when the written games are at that tipping point where Linux has an almost equal share available then I will dump Windows like a hot potato.

For a working OS (stability and speed) I prefer Linux Ubuntu or Linux Mint but that's just me. If and when the written games are at that tipping point where Linux has an almost equal share available then I will dump Windows like a hot potato.

I have an older WIN XP machine that I could not get USB working on. Some smart Philipino Tech nerd from Canada was able to put in a salvage Sound card, Switch the PC to run on Linux......get USB ports working all in a few hours.

I have a massive music drive hooked up USB (radio station copy) and it plays out the PC to 250 watt AMP. I got copy from one of my former jobs. I became specialized and did not tinker and learn all the PC nerdy stuff.

Example: Music EXT drive has the top 100 songs of every year since the 50s' to 2003. The PC boots from a homemade CD that stays in the CD drive. To turn on I have to hit a bunch of F2 or F10 or whatever..........but when it goes it is Linux and it works. I almost feel stupid when I try to get it running.

I could never do something like that by myself. I have it out in the garage and I use it music only.

I have an older WIN XP machine that I could not get USB working on. Some smart Philipino Tech nerd from Canada was able to put in a salvage Sound card, Switch the PC to run on Linux......get USB ports working all in a few hours.

I have a massive music drive hooked up USB (radio station copy) and it plays out the PC to 250 watt AMP. I got copy from one of my former jobs. I became specialized and did not tinker and learn all the PC nerdy stuff.

Example: Music EXT drive has the top 100 songs of every year since the 50s' to 2003. The PC boots from a homemade CD that stays in the CD drive. To turn on I have to hit a bunch of F2 or F10 or whatever..........but when it goes it is Linux and it works. I almost feel stupid when I try to get it running.

I could never do something like that by myself. I have it out in the garage and I use it music only.
Sounds like Frankencomputer....... :lol:
I build my own, just this year did an almost brand new rebuild on my 6 year old desktop, all I kept was the CD/DVD drive and the 650 Watt power supply, the old hard drive is now a storage drive.
Pretty much taught myself most of it but I've always been curious, used to take indestructible toys apart when I was a kid. :lol:

Sure post the link please. the comp boots up and works fine. i wonder if it says its blocking "updater" because i told it not to check for windows updates instead of automatically downloading them.

Forum List

Back